Questions regarding buying from a dealership

Dangerdog

Registered
Ok this is noob as all hell, i know, no need to point it out to me.

But what is acceptable as far as dealership fees? Is there a certain amount of play the dealerships have with the price on the bike? I only ask because ive bought all my bikes used, from people. I was at a dealership the other day here that i felt like was trying to rip me off so i left.

We had worked out what i initially thought was a good deal for an 08 blue busa (fastest color), they were giving me what i was asking for on my 1000, but when i went to finalize the paperwork i got to looking at the dealership fees and it was *%$#@ outragious. Like, 2 grand outrageous.

How much is to much to ask a dealership to come off the price? I have no clue where to start negotiations at, because the only thing ive ever bought new is a car and you can haggle on those all day.

Lol, please dont flame me to bad, i just dont want to get ripped for an extra grand or so. Any tips are appreciated guys and if there is another thread im missing with this already in it let me know, kinda tough to figure out what to search for with this.

yes 2000$ sounds too much most of them i think are right under 1000$ with all their bull$hit fee's, but did that include your taxes ? maybe that's why it seemed high to you. :whistle:

ask for an itemized list of the fees, have them explain each one and the cost associated with it. If your buying a bike from them they shouldnt have an issue sitting down to explain the process to you

This is what I did when I bought mine.

I sent an email to about 7 different dealerships, telling them what I wanted and what coler i wanted it in. I asked if they had one in stock and asked what their best out the door price was on it. I also let them know that I was going to be sending the same email to all the other dealerships in the area. I got back my emails, picked the lowest one (9 grand OTD with a helmet thrown in) and told them i would be down to pick it up. they had the paperwork ready for me and everything.

Cash talks! If you go in with your money ready to flip out to them,, you know you can walk if they don't give you the price you ask for. Call two or three dealerships over the phone and tell them you have cash and you are ready to come down right away to take delivery of a new bike. Ask them what the bottom line is and then when you hear it,, ask if they will go for the $2000 under. Ask them to waive certain erroneous fees. I guess, basically what you are feeling for is how far they will go to win your cash sale in their dealership.

If you are financing -get pre-approved through your local Credit Union or bank FIRST before going in or calling. DO NOT use a dealership's credit lines,, they are usually higher or misleading with balloon dates or (teaser rates) changing interest rates .

Tell them you will only pay dock fee. Should be no more then $250. If they say no then walk away. Trust me on this.

I work for a dealership. In these trying times every dealership is hurting and wants any deal they can get. Right now I can get anyone a new bike for $100 over cost. I just wish we sold Suzuki.

GOOD question !!! I wish I would have asked the same thing before I got mine !!! They give you a price, and you're like okay, I can work with that, then they hit you with "restocking", and "assembly", and some other stuff I've never heard of, and now you're $2,000.00 higher than you thought.

I don't know if I'll ever buy another new bike again, considering they drop like $1500.00 as soon as you drive off the lot ? But it does feel good knowing what the bike has been through before you got it.

Don't know where you live. Did the fees include tax, title, and tags? If so, you won't be able to haggle on them, since they are going to the state. But they will handle the paperwork and save you a trip to the DMV to pay them. The dealer I buy from as a $99 setup fee, which I didn't pay. I told them what I was willing to pay for the bike out the door, and that's all I paid. I had to come out of pocket for tax, title, and tags since the dealers don't do that here.

A major bike dealership here in Missouri got closed down last year over the (amongst other things) complaints about the "hidden" fees that they were hitting people with when they were in the process of signing the paperwork.
When I bought my Busa (Joplin Powersports. Joplin, MO.. great folks to deal with) it was the agreed on price and the only "fee" was $40 for basically, the labor to fill out all the paperwork. No "delivery, assembly, etc..", price + $40 OTD. That's how it should work.
That place that got closed down on the other hand.. I was in the process of buying a new YZ250 dirt bike from them. We haggled the price, went up to the desk to do the required paperwork, I do a quick readover before signing and there's a $400+ charge for "assembly" and another $500 for other "various" fees, putting the price of the bike $300 over MSRP! I put the pen down and walked out, no sale.
In Missouri at least, taxes, title, and licensing is done at the DMV, completely seperate from the purchase of the bike. Some assembly fees are acceptable in my book but should be figured into the overall price of the bike and not tacked on after the fact. I've bought several new bikes now and ask them straight off about any other "fees" that will go onto the OTD price. Get it out in the open to start with and deal from there, or in your case, head for the door.

Last edited:
That's a good question and good responses too! Dealerships are entitled to make a profit, due to overhead, merchandise stock, employee benefits, etc., but those misc. fees are questionable. Anyway, let us know how good you beat them up. Oh and :welcome:

:welcome: and ask questions...pay Doc (documentation) fees only of up to $250-300. Sometimes a dealer also has a delivery fee (you are paying the crate fee for the bike to get delivered to the dealer...generally around $249). You dont need the extra life insurance if financing. Now, there may be a fee for an extended warranty (this varies...could be 4-5 hundred)...decide if you want that. They may have also put a pre-paid maintenance deal in bike where they pay for oil changes, etc....again decide if you want. Let them explain every fee to you. If you are financing, then of course there is the finance charges...

If they won't show you dealer cost, use the tried and often proven multiplying factor of .83 times MSRP. It'll get you in the ball park. Start your negotiations at offering them a $200 profit above that. You might have to go as high as $500 above that, depending on your own intent to buy from that particular dealership, but you'd still be getting a fair deal, for YOU and the DEALER. Don't let them add anyting else to that number except sales tax! (Here in NV we have 30 days from purchase to pay registration fees, so that does not figure into the final dollar equation).
Good luck!

Last edited:
Lots of good advice above. However, don't tell them your paying cash. Some dealerships want you to finance with them because they know they'll be getting more money in the long run. It's more to them if you finance through them. So they'll come off the price a bit more, expecting to get it back in interest.

So don't tell them your paying cash up front. Get the OTD price via email etc like folks have said above. Then show up with cash.

Ask them, "How Much Out the Door (OTD) " is the bike going to cost . If it's $1,000 under the Manufacture Sales price -- I would buy it :beerchug:

Back