Battery Question

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Well I killed my battery this week. I have a cheap tender, yes I know :banghead: Anyway, I left the tender on the battery for about a week and moved my bike last night because I have inspectors coming over today to review the house for my buyers. Took the cover off, disconnected the tender and when I turned the key, nada, nothing, not even a single light. Dead as a hammer. Question: Can I jump it and then ride her to charge it back up and be ok, or is my battery toast and need to be replaced? It is less than a year old. :banghead:

Personally, i wouldnt try to jump a bike battery off, expecially with a car battery. You need a new one anyway so you may as well go ahead and buy one and put it in.

Then buy a better battery tender.

Personally, i wouldnt try to jump a bike battery off, expecially with a car battery. You need a new one anyway so you may as well go ahead and buy one and put it in.

Then buy a better battery tender.

So you think the battery is not saveable?

probably not. But you could have it tested. Best thing to do woudl be take it out of the bike and put it on a GOOD trickle charger and see if it is holding a charge at all.

Try using the search tool there is a recent post on jumping batteries. There is absolutely no harm in jumping your bike battery from your 12V car battery, it will only draw as much juice as it needs, whether the car is running or not. If the battery is less then a year old there is a chance it might be salvagable. What's a cheap battery tender? I use a Battery Tender Jr. one of my bikes and Battery Tender Plus on the 'Busa and both of them work fine.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/60541-safe-jump.html

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/101206-my-busa-will-not-start-ideas.html

Did you check it with a voltmeter? Also, make sure the fluid is at proper level, I've seen them show the proper voltage, but not supply the current if low. Dang, if you only lived closer I could help you!

buddy o mines got a tl 1000 jumps it off the (hummer) all day long

....how ironic he has a HUMMER but too cheap to buy a new battery....:whistle:

Did you check it with a voltmeter? Also, make sure the fluid is at proper level, I've seen them show the proper voltage, but not supply the current if low. Dang, if you only lived closer I could help you!

Your killin me Rick. :laugh:

Try using the search tool there is a recent post on jumping batteries. There is absolutely no harm in jumping your bike battery from your 12V car battery, it will only draw as much juice as it needs, whether the car is running or not. If the battery is less then a year old there is a chance it might be salvagable. What's a cheap battery tender? I use a Battery Tender Jr. one of my bikes and Battery Tender Plus on the 'Busa and both of them work fine.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/60541-safe-jump.html

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/101206-my-busa-will-not-start-ideas.html
Good post. The only real worry about jumping with a car battery is if you have a short somewhere that caused the dead battery. A car battery can throw a lot more current than a motorcycle battery, and if that current goes into a short, it can generate enough heat to fry other things around the short (like the rest of the wiring harness).

If the car is using a twelve volt system you can use it to jump the bike off without any problems. I would hook it up and let it charge for a bit, then crank it up and ride. Fully charging the battery would even be a better idea.

Checking a battery with a volt meter is good, but doesn't really tell you what that battery will do under load, batteries are tricky like that.

If it's only been a week and the batteries a year old you should be alright. Sounds like you left the key in the park mode, because I leave mine for seven to ten days all the time with no tender and she fires right up.

Good luck mang

Put it on a two amp charge for about 12 hours and try it, you have nothing to lose. Do it from a charger, not a batt tender

Then take it to a dealer & have them load test it for you. If they are decent this should be free. I would not go anywhere unless you have this done.

Also, make sure your cables are clean. Through the years I've dealt with many vehicles that wouldn't start for no other reason than a slightly corroded battery cable connection. I've seen them not take a charge because of this too. Unhook the cables, try charging it then.
And $30 for a real Battery Tender is cheap insurance. I leave mine on for 2-3 months at a time, bike fires right up like it had just been shut off an hour ago.:thumbsup:

you can jump start it, however do not ride it to charge up the battery, the bikes electronics are designed more for maintaining batteries and not for charging them, that's why its called a stator and not an alternator or generator, the cheap tender will charge it too, if yours is like mine and has the little box with the red light, it will light up when connector to the battery or the wall outlet if it went dead it must have not been plugged into the wall and thus drained it down instead....my batteries has been saved twice, and although it has probably lost a few cranking amps, it does still work and hold a charge just fine.....

Back