Exhaust gaskets?

rdx4me

Registered
Ok,

Granted I'm an HD guy :whistle: and I'm rebuilding this Busa for my son but somebody look at these pics and see if you can tell me there's exhaust gaskets in these ports?

Pulling the forks to get the seals replaced and had the exhaust off anyways to sandblast and re-paint them.

Previous owner is a fellow Jarhead but I think he must of forgot something last time he had the pipes off...

Or am I missing something?

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt326/rdx4me/100_1972.jpg?t=1236814272

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt326/rdx4me/th_100_1973.jpg

Last edited:
:poke:

post-12-26380-worthless.gif

USAA totalled it a few years ago due to damage to plastics so he bought it back and took it to the Salt Flats.

I bought it for $2500 and have the Certificate of Destruct title (FL). Have been talking with FL DMV and got the PDF forms.

I just need to "acquire" receipts proving I replaced 75% of the bike to re-title it as a 2009 ASPT (Assembled from parts). Reciepts must show the VIN# of the bike they came off to prove they aren't stolen parts of course.

Have some already so I'm almost there.

And I thought my 124" Harley was fast.... :bowdown:

Bike runs very well!

Thanks guys!

Went back out in the garage and with a sharp, curved pick got all 4 out with no problem. Sure helped having the front-end off though. It was really hard before trying to see around the wheel & forks.

Hope to have her re-titled and registered in another month or so...

sweet! be sure to post pics of the job you are doing. I would imagine that people here could help you out with those reciepts if you needed it...:whistle:

The copper ring shows there are or were gaskets there. If they were missing the entire area outside the exhaust port would have been black as well.

Got the new gaskets and am looking through the manual. Man, they could sure use some better pics in there. When I put the new gaskets in, should side with the little tabs go in first or does that side stay towards the outside?

I prefer not to experiment... Get's too expensive!

Oh yeah, should I use Loc-Tite on the exhaust bolts? Book doesn't show any lockwashers?

Last edited:
Thanks potts! I have searched back to 2004 without finding an answer. Was still going when I said screw it and decided to see it anbody had answered yet...

I just talked to Doug (the tech guy) at Yoshimura two days ago, and he told me that you don't even need exhaust gaskets if you are using a good exhaust (like a Yoshimura). He had me remove mine for added clearance, and said they only advise us to use gaskets in the Yoshimura install instructions for CYA purposes. He told me that in recent years, GSX-R's have even stopped using them. :thumbsup:

Here's some pics of the exhaust gaskets installed, headers back in place and some of the Block off plates. Totally forget to snap some pics of the Block offs prior to bolting the radiatior in place! Oh well, I took those from the side and you can see them well enough.

Got another problem now and will start another thread for that! Pics included...

100_2027.jpg

100_2028.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2032.jpg

100_2033.jpg

Thanks guys!

Went back out in the garage and with a sharp, curved pick got all 4 out with no problem. Sure helped having the front-end off though. It was really hard before trying to see around the wheel & forks.

Hope to have her re-titled and registered in another month or so...

Cool...good luck!

NEW QUESTION ABOUT THESE:

SCHNITZ EXHAUST GASKETS

Should I get the regular gaskets for $9.95 or the cometic which is supposed to have a larger inside diameter? I'm not worried about the extra 10 for the cometics as long as they will seal. The exhaust is a Tsukigi Cannon.

Is that per gasket?

Get with Justin at Honda East and ask how much the stock gaskets are. I went to my local dealer and paid WAY less than that!

Buy the stock gaskets as they seal just fine. IMO

Back