Getting a copy of key?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So where all have you guys been able to get your bike keys copied? My bike only came with one key, but Lowe's and Home Depot can't copy the key well enough for it to work in my bike, they say it is an odd size. Can a Suzuki dealership order me copies once I get the title? If not what are my options? If I don't copy it I am sure I will lose the one I have haha. Thanks guys.

Dealer or a locksmith should be able to duplicate it for you.

If you got your bike new it should have come with both a backup and the tag to give the dealer the code to get a new key as well. If not, then go to a Suzuki dealer and they can get you a copy.

goto a dealer with your vin and they can send you one...you may have to prove ownership

Is it a Gen 2? There is a small snag with Gen 2 copies at a locksmith.

Last edited:
Sorry, its a 99 guys. Sounds good, I will see what the dealer needs and what that would cost.

I have had 2 keys made for my 01' and they cost 4 bucks each. I suggest you take your key to any stand alone locksmith shop and you'll have a spare in no time.

Allied Locksmiths of Youngstown on South Avenue (Youngstown, Ohio) will make one that is correct in every way for $4.00. Just goggle them if you can't find anyone in Lancaster . Mail it to them and they'll send both back. Wardie

Whats the issue with getting an 08 key made? they go to transponders in the keys?

I was thinking that id like to get the 08 style key for my 06. anyone know if the key shape is the same so that they wouold be ABLE to cut them to work?

just go to your dealer that way if they wont work you can make them redo it. my local dealer charges $6.

Whats the issue with getting an 08 key made? they go to transponders in the keys?

I was thinking that id like to get the 08 style key for my 06. anyone know if the key shape is the same so that they wouold be ABLE to cut them to work?

should not be a problem, here is the Gen 2 problem.
The Gen 2 has more of a wedge shape.
The key blank most locksmiths carry will fit a Gen 1 and 2. Gen 2 if you grind it into more of a wedge shape.
Learned this after having two spares made. The copied keys would unlock the seat, would not start the Busa. Locksmith looked at it, took a minute to grind the wedge shape into it and it worked fine. Not something you want to find out when you need to rely on the spare.

DO NOT GET THIS PARTICULAR KEY - IT WILL NOT WORK. At least it did not for me.

I wanted a nice looking plastic head key that looked original and this one fit the bill. Bought two of this exact key off of ebay. Home Depot cut one for me and it did not work. I took the other one to a real locksmith who did a much better job cutting the key - excellent reproduction of the cuts - and it did not work either. So he made me a copy using the ILCO brand blank which I did not like because it is so long, but this key works fine.

Later, playing with both keys, I discovered that the slots that run the length of the plastic head key are too short and don't let the key go far enough into the lock. It's not that the key itself is too short, but the slots are too short. I extended the slots by hand cutting with a dremel tool and cutoff wheel. Not a very good job, but the key works sort of now. The ILCO key is long and looks crappy, but the slots are way longer than they need to be and the key works just fine.

Call a good locksmith and they can make you a key for about $4. The difference in cut quality is like night and day between the poorly maintained Home Depot machine and a well-maintained machine used by a locksmith.

YMMV.

a056_1.JPG

ilco key.JPG

+1 for the locksmith. i had several copies made for mine. i also give one to someone i am riding with in case something happens to my key.

I'd check with your dealer and make sure the key doesn't require a chip. I learned this little trick last year when I took my GSXR1K on a thousand mile trip to do a couple of track days and realized the key was left on my tool box at home. I called my dealer and ask if I could have a local lock smith make a new key and he said "You are Fooked"! Your bike key must have a chip installed and the only way you'll get a key that works is through Suzuki. However, if you can find a locksmith with proper equipment you can have your ECU reprogrammed to respond to a different chip, but a chip is still required.

So call your dealer and ask if your busa requires a chip in the key? If so, Suzuki is your only option? I don't know when Suzuki began using chips in their keys but my 07 Gixxer requires one!

And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll bet you can't buy one for $4 :laugh:

Back