Help....

J'Man

Registered
Does anyone have any close up pics of the screws that hold the windshield together? I need to install one on my bike and honestly I have no idea how this thing goes together. I think I'm missing some parts, because all I have is a rubber gromet and a screw for each side. I'm also not sure which way the rubber gromet goes in and how it ties into the black plastic cover on the inside. Any help would be appreciated (especially pics). :thumbsup:

Thanks.

i think thats all u need is the rubber gromets and screws. the gromets are tuff to get in i spit on my and it helped. sorry no pics but i bet someone will have some

Install the windshield, insert the rubber grommet, washer then the screw. Nothing on the inside to worry about unless you cannot remove the grommet. Remove the inner panel to get behind the grommet and push and turn to remove it. Some silicon spray or non petroleum grease will help the install.

I found that if you put the grommet through the exterior hole and move around to the back side (inside by dash) and just holding the grommet there. Take the screw and start it from the back side. Screw it in 3 turns and use it to pull the grommet into place. Much easier than trying to push it through. Do put a little spittle on it for ease of "pulling" it through. This has allowed me to change out the screen with little effort and in about 8 min. total. Using the screw from the back as a lever or device to pull with and Blammo, EASY BEANS!:cheerleader: The only other part you should have is a small metal flat washer that goes on prior to screwing the screw in from the proper direction which spreads the grommet and holds the screen in place. The plastic cover on the inside does not tie into this system. You have to remove the retainer pin from it just to move it out of the way for access to the mounting hole behind that little panel.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info, but I'm really confused now. If someone could post some pics I would be forever grateful. I didn't have the washers and I also don't have anything to secure the black inside piece so I've got to figure out what I need to buy and which way all these go together.

Thanks everyone for the info, but I'm really confused now. If someone could post some pics I would be forever grateful. I didn't have the washers and I also don't have anything to secure the black inside piece so I've got to figure out what I need to buy and which way all these go together.

Just push the rubber grommet through from the outside in; put the metal washer on the screw and tighten screw.
When tightening the screw the rubber grommet expands to hold it in place.

Pic

untitled.jpg

Thanks, but I've had previously tried the parts look up and couldn't really make heads or tails of it. If you're looking at the rubber gromet, does the brass threaded part face out towards the outside fairing or does it face towards the inside fairing? What do you attach the inside fairing to?

This is one of the easiest mods you will do so with the supplied diagram above this should easy for you. Pipefighter248 just gave you the golden diagram!

Thanks, but I've had previously tried the parts look up and couldn't really make heads or tails of it. If you're looking at the rubber gromet, does the brass threaded part face out towards the outside fairing or does it face towards the inside fairing? What do you attach the inside fairing to?

Dude, just like the photo. That is all that holds it in. The brass piece faces inward........................................LIKE THE DIAGRAM!:banghead:

You better get help before you hurt your bike.

Seriously guys, no one in here could take the minute and a half to go snap a pic for him? Here ya go, just push the gromet through the hole in the fairing, AND the hole in the screen, insert screw and SNUG not tighten. Just tight enough so it won't back out and the screen won't fall off. You will still be able to turn the screw even after it's tight enough, so just be careful and you'll be fine.

Math Credit 003.jpg

If you are talking about the black plastic piece that goes around your gauges , inside fairing, they attach with the same black push pins that attach your undertail to the rear fairing.

And as for the dash pannel covering the windscreen mount screw, it just attaches to a bracket on the upper fairing. It has nothing to do with the windscreen. To get a better look, just remove the screw in the center holding the 2 dash pannels together, remove the screws holding them to the frame on either side, and remove the plastic rivets by pushing the little "button" in the center and then pulling the rivet out. Then remove the dash pannels. All this isn't required to install the screen, but it'll give you a little better look at what's behind there.

Seriously guys, no one in here could take the minute and a half to go snap a pic for him? Here ya go, just push the gromet through the hole in the fairing, AND the hole in the screen, insert screw and SNUG not tighten. Just tight enough so it won't back out and the screen won't fall off. You will still be able to turn the screw even after it's tight enough, so just be careful and you'll be fine.

You did! Good job.

Thanks dude, that helped tremendously! I realize it may seem easy to everyone else, but the windshield was off the bike when I bought it so I had no idea how to put it back together or if I even had the right parts. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Back