Chain Slap question

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
I was able to ride the last couple days with the nice temps we had here. I didn't put a ton of miles on but got out and about and enjoyed it. One thing I noticed was when running through town at a constant 40-45 mph my chain was wanting to slap. Nothing has been changed on it since I last rode it other than exhaust and the chain was cleaned and lubed.

I was in 2nd gear each time this happened, that puts the tach at 4000 - 4500 rpm. Of course acceleration or slowing stopped it but what causes it? :dunno:

Sounds like it needs adjusted. Probably a little loose and the clean and lube freed everything up and made it noticeable.

Sounds like it needs adjusted. Probably a little loose and the clean and lube freed everything up and made it noticeable.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking but didn't think the chain seemed that loose. It's probably due as I've put about 3000 miles on it since I bought it and have yet to adjust it. Now I've got something to do this afternoon :thumbsup:

And this was my first clean and lube on the chain as well. I know it was overdue and I'm amazed at the difference in smoothness. Next clean and lube will be done in a more timely manner.

Did you check for tight and loose spots? Unfortunately, as the chain travels around the sprockets, you will get points where the chain is tighter in some positions and looser in others.

Clean and relube your chain a minimum of every 400 - 500 miles!
Adjust slack to be approx 1 inch of up/down play in the middle. Do yourself a favor, get into the habit of checking slack once a week.

Just got in, adjusted my chain and went out for a ride. Problem seems to be solved by making correct adjustments.

And regular chain maintenance is a small price to pay for maximum reliability, and performance. Clean, grease, adjust, repeat...... :oldcool:

Sometime the torque on that chain from acceleration can cause the adjustment bolts to loosen slowly. This is why the chain should be checked before every ride.

+1 on that. And I have to believe that our bikes, with all that torque, find chains especially tasty...

I just cleaned and lubed mine as well.. I found some Chain Wax Brand this time, so I just finished doing it and I noticed the same thing.

Adjusted the tension a liiiiiiiitle bit --- Anyone have a diagram or vid on where to check the tension?

TIA :beerchug:

Last edited:
Back