I got schooled today

sweet tea man

Registered
So my brother(Member here Werdkat) calls me and wants to go ride b/c he has a free morning.

First time we have road a twisty roads together since I got my busa. Him, as being more experienced that I, was riding his Bandit 1200. I figured this was my chance to show him my improvement in riding skills since i really sucked on the cruiser at twisties.

We go out and start on hwy 42 and I lead the whole way. I kept about 75 the whole way through and was leaning in the turns and doing everything I had practiced over the past few months that had become routine and figured he was probably a good bit behind me and was going to be impressed with my improvement.......nope, he was still on my tail looking comfy as could be

We get to our stopping point and me about to burst wanting to hear his reaction to how much better I did, took off my helmet and said "well?!"

he simply responded, "eh, you've gotten a bit better, BUT......."

Went on to ask why I was leaning on the bike like i do and showed me the right way, and pointed out several things that i need to work on while cornering.

After the School session, helmets went back on and he said , follow me, I'll lead and you can see what i'm trying to tell you.

Needless to say, i suck at cornering apparently. As he led, it was seriously like poetry in motion watching him. seeing how to lean and how smooth he was going into and through a corner, never looked like he was pushing the bike. All the while, i'm trying to copy his style to see if it will help me, and he's just walking away from me

:rofl::bowdown: My brother is awesome. Ask why you did what you did, explain what you did wrong and how to do it, then show you how to do it, then leave you in the dust trying to catch up while HE is the one on the smaller bike

Last edited:
Always good to ride with faster riders, will help make a person faster.

It's good to ride with someone that will take the time to see how you ride. It only makes you a better rider. Most of the guys around here just want to ride not learn.

Yea, it is sobering when you think your fast or good and someone schools you on how much room for improvement you have to go. Great for you if you can take the criticism and pointers, it will make riding that much more fun as you get better.

:beerchug: good to have someone able to teach you first hand. Now go bow down to the bandit:laugh:

Yea, it is sobering when you think your fast or good and someone schools you on how much room for improvement you have to go. Great for you if you can take the criticism and pointers, it will make riding that much more fun as you get better.
+1 fun when you are handed some humble pie and then you get a bit quicker.. confidence and trust in the bike are pretty key.. Good job :)

I was feelin' pretty good today as I chased a Gold Wing through the twisties. He wasn't pulling away at all.
:laugh:

Seriously though, I learned to ride in Kansas and Oklahoma...places where the only turns you ever make are 90 degrees and involve a stop sign. These Kentucky backroads are so much more challenging.

Bandito FTW!:thumbsup:

You forgot to mention my being left behind in the dust on the straight aways HAHA!:moon:

Thank you for the Ego boost. Since we are airing it all out. You did a much better job than our previous ride. You will get better with some confidence and learning your bike. I cannot stress the LEARNING your BIKE part enough. You have your form down, you just now have to figure out the finer points of cornering when to feather the gas and how much to move, and when to push into the turn. When we get to the mountains you will see what I mean. You can't take a turn @ 75/80 expecting the front tire to hold and the rear tire to hold if you don't hit the apex. Remember what I said about sliding the rear tire.

We can sit down with darryl and watch the guys entering into the turn and watch them with target fixation issues and HORRIBLE FORM. A couple times at the mountains and I will take you down to Jennings or up to little taledega and we can do a track day. Then you will see some spankage. Man those guys are truly fast.

It was great getting to ride with you today bro! We don't get to do it enough.:banana::woot::fight:

Sounds like the two of you had a great time. Don't rush the learning curve. And the Bandit is a very capable bike in the twisties. Its a big SV.

Always keep learning. Unless you're Rossi, there's ALWAYS someone out there that can walk away from you on any decent bike. I'm 42 and I still learn every time I go out...:leseratte:

I know what you mean, I love following Busawhipped or Mr. Bogus, they will help you improve your skills.

I have tried to learn from (OZZ) Robb but can Never Seem to get close enough to him to See what he is doing :shocked: I SUCK at cornering so I Ride my own Ride :thumbsup:

Back