Thanks oRg!

VetteNBusa

Registered
And Jesse ---

Finally cleaned my chain yesterday --- Holy crap!

When you guys would talk about lubing the chain and how to clean it, I didn't expect so much crap to be stuck to mine. Then there was the "grease" --- I think it was grease? ??? It stuck to everything --- I could've used a putty knife to scrape it off. But ever since I bought the bike, it had the same stuff on there. Was it supposed to be like that?

Now, I have the thinner chain lube on there. I haven't rode the bike yet, but it made me a little nervous to get all that gunk off my chain and replace it with this thinner stuff. I bought it at the local HD stealership.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to my good buddy Jesse and the oRg for the write-ups and input. :beerchug:

Dave

Last edited:
Makes a difference huh?:laugh: Next time you get a new chain, feel free to wipe off all of that 'shipping and anti rust' coating the manufacturers put on new chains before you go for a ride. I don't know if they immerse them in that goo or what but when the side plates are thick with it, its bound to fling off at speed, all over your rear tail and side panels, not to mention the wheel and the left side of your tire. Whatever chain lube you settle on (I use Maxima Chain Wax) try to apply it after a ride when the chain is still warm. Feel free to wipe it down a bit if you overspray. Your purpose in lubing is not so much for the chain and sprocket matchup but to keep the O or X rings soft and pliable so (they) keep the pins and rollers lubed inside the chain links.

Be sure and use some quality chain lube like Bel-Ray super-clean or simular some chain lubes will just gum up and have it all nasty again and fling of and be all over everything. just my 2 cents

Thanks guys.

As for Chain Wax, the guy at the HD place says:

HIM: "I ain't never hearda no chain wax. I think that's the stuff the goes on and hardens. Then it breaks off and removes all the crud on the chain itself."

ME: "Well. Isn't there a brand name or something? It's supposed to be a lube?"

HIM: "Well what kinda bike do you ride?"

ME: "Why? Is chain maintanence that different according to bikes? I know I don't have a belt or shaft, so aren't all the chains kept up the same way?"

HIM: "Well, I got this cleaner/lube. You wanna try it?"

ME: As long as it's for a "chain". ???

HIM: Mmm.

ME: Mmm. Ring me up.

Here's the stuff:

http://accessories.harley-davidson....nce/oil_and_lube/chain_lube_plus/default.aspx

chainlube.jpg

Last edited:
Check ouy the Bel-Ray (super clean) you will be glad you did, because not all are created equal, and put it on when your chain is warm if you can and let it set a few minutes, it wont fling off, it good. :thumbsup:

Back