Model airplane fluid....what if??

Danno$$

Registered
I remember adding a small amount of "cox" airplane fluid to dirtbikes years ago to add some power. At least I think that was the brand. I think the stuff was like 100% octaine..... burned real hot....what if a little was added to the busa???

dont think so, dont even try it.. airplane gas and rc gas has nitro and petroleum in it 2 ingredients you dont want to add to your fuel system

Last edited:
I remember adding a small amount of "cox" airplane fluid to dirtbikes years ago to add some power. At least I think that was the brand. I think the stuff was like 100% octaine..... burned real hot....what if a little was added to the busa???

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: R you serious.

it was nitro ethane not methane... and will not work well in a gasoline motor.. (comes in varying concentrations (5% to 90%)

it was nitro ethane not methane... and will not work well in a gasoline motor.. (comes in varying concentrations (5% to 90%)

Model aircraft fuel is primarily comprised of Methanol and oil. Methanol is the "fuel" and the oil is simply a lubricant. Many fuels also contain Nitromethane which is a power ingredient

10% Bakers AA castor oil, 10% Klotz KL-200, 10% nitromethane and 70% methanol

Last edited:
The hobby shop we used in Scottsdale used nitroethane in their mix.. did they also use nitromethane? He had all kinds of ratios

The jug I have contains nitromethane:laugh:
now check the % :) Nitro requires about twice the volume of gasoline in a motor to work.. (alcohol is the same way) but you better be up to snuff on the rest of the motor or......

:cheerleader:

IMG_0107 (2).jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Is it worth screwing up a perfectly good engine? I think not...

yea 10%.. you need to run double the volume you would on gasoline and it will run.. the 10% is not going to add much if any HP to the motor over what it would be on just plain alcohol.. Alcohol produces about 10% less power than a gas motor set up identically.. You need to bump the compression about 1 full point to break even.. Advantage is that alcohol runs a lot cooler on a motor (no cooling system needed as long as you are hard on the gas btw) :) the volume of fuel works as a coolant.. the octane is also I think 115? that may be a bad number but close..

I do not have my book anymore but seems nitro needs to hit about 30-40% to start working.. Keep in mind this is not a "physical" percentage, it is done by specific gravity with a hydrometer..

Last edited:
Might work on a two-cycle dirt bike engine. Not on a four-stroker.

--Wag--

Might work on a two-cycle dirt bike engine. Not on a four-stroker.

--Wag--
it will work in a 4 stroke.. but you need double the volume of fuel over gas... :) the castor might even make it stink good :)

the nitro adds power by bringing its own oxygen to the game.. (same as turbo charging or super charging would) as it is compressed and combusted, it releases 02 molecules and is fully capable of self sustained ignition with NO external oxygen.. This is where the violent explosions come from in fuel racing.. the motor goes into a hydraulic state when the piston comes up and there is no air to compress (happens when the fuel load did not ignite on previous power stroke), only nitro ... BOOM..

Last edited:
Alright... GenI 87 octane, no alcohol or for that matter any additives, GenII 91 octane up to 10% alcohol. :whistle:

Back