How fast is TOO FAST for the street?

umairhashmi

Registered
I have gone on more than a few group rides where we have easily done 70 in a 45 zone or 110 in a 70. I understand that the best place for all this is a racetrack but during a spirited group ride how fast is considered too fast?

Of course the obvious heavy traffic areas, rush hour, school areas are out of the question but what about places away from city traffic? Because im sure from a legal perspective even away from a big city doing twice the speed limit is likely to get you into serious trouble if you get busted. So how fast do you normally ride when out in the open away from lots of traffic?

what street? i'd say basically anything over 70mph

Wow, I guess I ride too fast. I use to ride 85 every day on my way to and from work. I don't work there anymore and ride out of recreation mostly. My usual cruising speed is about 75.

what street? i'd say basically anything over 70mph

Speed limit wise. Doing 70 in a 45 zone is 25mph over the speed limit (expensive + points if the ticket attorney cant get you off). But 85 in a 70 isnt that bad even if you DO get busted. So how much of a risk is good but acceptable?

I look at this as one of those "time and place" questions...

All done knowing in your head if you have a problem, you are the only one involved..and that help may be an hour away.. (can temper your need for speed).

I know of divided four lanes where 150+ is fast but not insane.. RIGHT DAVE? :rofl: even the LEO said the venue was not that bad, but was just getting too dark.. 163 in a 55 :woot:

in town? very rare I do more than 5 over... just too many things to go wrong..

Thats my point here. We all like to go fast. Otherwise we wouldnt own sportbikes. However the risk of not just getting hurt but getting arrested, losing your license for a while, severe fines, criminal record are a very real possibility too.

So how much of a risk is worth taking? There are more than a few places here where i could easily get on the top end of the bike but im sure if i get caught the outcome wont be very pretty lol.

When YOU are riding so close to the edge of YOUR performance envelope there is no room left to correct for your errors, the errors of others, unpredicted events, or conditions in your riding environment.

Cheers
ken

All done knowing in your head if you have a problem, you are the only one involved..and that help may be an hour away.. (can temper your need for speed).

I know of divided four lanes where 150+ is fast but not insane.. RIGHT DAVE? :rofl: even the LEO said the venue was not that bad, but was just getting too dark.. 163 in a 55 :woot:

Definitely agree that it is a time and a place type thing. There are areas where you can let the 'Busa wind out and there are places that you can't. Basically for me that would mean city streets or roads that have alot of side entrances. You can never tell when some stupid cager is not going either see you or not be able to judge your speed and pull out in front of you. Like you said, way to many things can go wrong. :thumbsup:

Anything above the posted speed limit is to fast :laugh:

Now in group rides you better watch yourself give plenty of room I know tight looks cool but someone goes down the domino effect is nasty an hard to watch.

I pretty much try not to go more than 10 over the limit on the highway so as not to get into too much trouble. But once in a while the sky's the limit (this being on roads that you could take a nap on with very little risk of anybody ever coming along. In my neck of the woods, I worry way more about animals than cars. For that matter, the only traffic jams around here are when two combines are trying to meet each other.:whistle:

When YOU are riding so close to the edge of YOUR performance envelope there is no room left to correct for your errors, the errors of others, unpredicted events, or conditions in your riding environment.

Cheers
ken

Thats a given of course because your safety comes first however my question is more about the legal consequences if you are busted. Some might run but i dont plan on turning a traffic violation into a felony crime so i always pull over.

Thats a given of course because your safety comes first however my question is more about the legal consequences if you are busted. Some might run but i dont plan on turning a traffic violation into a felony crime so i always pull over.

HEY!!!!! your in my hood....... sorta anyway. Think more of getting your self killed while running or worse getting someone else killed running an have to live with that kind a crap eating at your soul. Cause 3 speeding violations here makes you a felon:rofl: well at 50mph over or more anyway.

What blue lights?? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

One time I went riding with somebody I met at the local QT and that was the last time. He was going 145 to 150 weaving in and out of traffic. I caught up with him and we ended up cruising for awhile longer then I finally told him. He was going to get some one hurt or killed riding that way. I haven't been riding with him since. I think he though his bike was fast or something. It was a Triumph Daytona. Come to think of it I haven't seen him around lately. I wonder if he still has the bike or something worse has happened.

I pretty much try not to go more than 10 over the limit on the highway so as not to get into too much trouble. But once in a while the sky's the limit (this being on roads that you could take a nap on with very little risk of anybody ever coming along. In my neck of the woods, I worry way more about animals than cars. For that matter, the only traffic jams around here are when two combines are trying to meet each other.:whistle:

animals are what i worry about most around here to, or some sand or something like that...these days i really do take it easy, and not to mention all the times i was just crusing and good thing, suddenly theres a cop around the next turn in these parts just waiting for ya

Freeways 85... In the mountains, depends on the street conditions and twisties and I don't really look at the speedometer but have seen 130 in some straights but only on a workday ride with no one else around and just have to worry about elk... As for congested areas only 5-10mph over cause its just stupid to ride flying in those areas.

I rode with a group last year through two lane 45mph areas and they were easily hitting 120+mph speeds. Too risky for me and I backed off and never saw them again. I later heard that three riders were arrested, bikes impounded and they spent the night in jail... I'm just not that crazy and never really saw the need to prove my riding skills to anyone at least not to the point of self destruction...

Last edited:
Go with the flow.

I agree with that. I will let fast cagers run point for me on the interstate. I will not often do more than 8/10 over the limit on 2-lane roads. If I let it all hang out it is on a lonely country road with no traffic, and few side roads.

I try to stay under the radar anywhere the LEO's might know me. Otherwise, just out for a criuse, maybe 5-10 over, 80-85 on the highway. Then again, there are some times and some roads where you're gonna really want to rip it.

Back