Powerlet

Sannosuke

Registered
Hey all,

Been looking at some heated gloves and I'd like to power the iPod as well so, any suggestions on which set-up (attached to the inner fairing) will work best?

Had looked on the Powerlet site but really didn't find anything definitive so, I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks here!

Will I have to have two sockets to power both items or can I get away with one socket for both?

Thanks in advance,
-David

Was doing some more snooping and think I might install two. Hmmm, think I'll drop them an e-mail & see what they recommend.

Thanks man!

PKT-056_p_441_webl.jpg

so, I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks here!

Woo Hoo! :cheerleader: Sometimes I wonder if all the time spent building all this stuff is ever looked at by anyone. :laugh:

This is 23 webpages covering over 150 products, 300 part numbers, and 600 photos. :laugh: Took me 3 weeks.:lol:

San - I carry the entire Powerlet product line, so just let me know how I can help out.

Start here: Clicky...
powerlet_400.jpg

powerlet_400.jpg

Been looking at some heated gloves and I'd like to power the iPod as well so, any suggestions on which set-up (attached to the inner fairing) will work best?

Had looked on the Powerlet site but really didn't find anything definitive so, I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks here!

Will I have to have two sockets to power both items or can I get away with one socket for both?

Thanks in advance,
-David

David, let me see if I can answer some of these:

I have the Powerlet Heated Gloves and the Powerlet Pro-Form Electric Liner. Both brand new, just got them. Never owned electric gloves before, but always wished I had something like that. Haven't tested them yet (1st Pashnit Tour in 38 days!!), other than plugging them into the bike in the garage. Got hot real quick.

You can use the gloves by themselves, or plugged into the liner. Couple ways you can power the liner (or gloves). I've had an electric vest for years (38 watt Widder) and I just plumbed it directly off the battery. Then had the cord come out right in front of the seat. Get on bike, plug in, and done. So if you want to keep it simple that's the way to do it.

However.... Powerlet Liners are 100 watts. More Juice. :cheerleader: So you'll need a Troller to go with that. Trollers can be attached to your waist to make it all portable. In this instance, you could easily use my setup and just run a hot wire protruding from in front of seat- typically to run vest and liners directly off the battery.

OR... The Trollers also come as dash mounted option. So you'd mount the Troller somewhere in the dash area. Your choice of trollers are here. Trollers are broken down into Portable or Permanently mounted - and then one-person or two person. Note they also vary by types of wires that come with them.

My new electric gloves :thumbsup: ($170 MSRP)

And my new Powerlet liner ($199 MSRP)

It may seem like a lot of money, but if you keep it in context, it pays for itself. I probably got my Widder Electric Vest some 8 years ago and I've got around 100K of riding on that vest and still works great. (Widder is out of business btw)

any suggestions on which set-up (attached to the inner fairing) will work best?

To answer this one- think of the Powerlet Outlets as split into two options. Main Page for that is Here

One that installs in fairings like the Goldwing pictured above. Nice clean install. This option would actually work really well on the Busa if you wanted to put an outlet in the inner dash area of the bike. Could power your GPS that way. Note Powerlet also makes their own GPS Power Cords too. Those are here. ...to work in conjunction with their power outlets.

And one that comes with a small bracket that could be attached to any bolt somwhere on the bike, typically on the side of the bike by your knee or leg.

A third option is aimed at the Cruiser market and designed around handlebars so won't focus much on that one- Info is Here.

Note that Powerlet makes Bike-Specific Outlet Kits here, and then Panel-Specific Outlet Kits here.

See why it took me 3 weeks? :lol: :lol:

suggestions on which set-up (attached to the inner fairing) will work best?

Overall, (if I haven't put you to sleep by now :laugh:), probably what I'd reccomend is a basic outlet kit you can install in the inner fairing to power your GPS. Note the standard plug is the Powerlet Plug or BMW-style plug. The Cigarette style is slowly going away.

The PKT-046 comes in varied lengths (use a string to measure out how far your power source is- ie fuse block or battery) and buy for the length of wire you'll need.

Buy Now for this is here

PKT-046-12_p_325_webl.jpg

On the gloves, kind of depends on whether you opt for the Electric liner (possibly you already have one) or are going to power the gloves all by themselves. The liners & gloves all use Coax for the cabling, while the Powerlet Outlets are all Powerlet/BMW style plugs.

PKT-046-12_p_325_webl.jpg

pashnit,

For approx. 2 hours averaging between 80 to 160k I was caught in a snow storm last Sept. in the interior of B.C. with the temp. being about +2 (35.6 F). While my hands literally froze (Teknic Speedstars) my torso was hot. I ended up having to unzip my coat liner (Cortech GX Air) about 2 inches.

So in short at this point I don't think I'll be needing a heated liner.

Haven't read through all the info yet but right after I get my son off to school this morning I'll make a tea and have myself a good read!

Many thanks guys,
-David

David, let me answer this one in open forum if that's okay.

Sannosuke said:
Another question for you! Is it overkill to install a set of heated grips 'along' with heated gloves? I don't foresee any problem with any electrical issue's as I'm not going to have a heated vest etc., just the gloves, iPod with possibly the grips?

First off, I don't thing there's such a thing as overkill when it comes to the Busa. :laugh: As for being warm- there are no rules. Do what it takes. If heated gloves coupled with heated grips are the shizzle, then do it.

Heated grips start out cheap at about $35-$40 and go on up past $100. The stick-on elements (what I have) work fine down to about 40 degrees, but after that, I'm jonesin' for something much better. I typically carry 2-3 sets of gloves when I'm traveling/leading tours depending on season.

I empathize with your snow. Last season, we got snowed on the first 3 tours of the year. Snow down to 1000 ft and I had to change the tour route on the fly. Minor flurries, but cold none the less. This season, I'm done for good with cold hands and went with the heated gloves :laugh: (on top of the heated grips). If you want to invest in some high-quality heated grips, visit the hotgrips.com site.

Here's my cold story. I dropped the tour group off early after we skipped Mt Lassen due to rainy, cold, dreary day. Too early for me to stop riding, so I asked if anyone wanted to keep riding. They all raised their beers and said no. :laugh:

So I took off headed for the top of the hill.

Went over the Mineral King Summit, nice little backroad all good. On up to top of the hill.

displayimage.php

Got to the top at 8500 feet and snow everywhere. Awesome. Got my photos.

displayimage.php

As I was hangin' out up there feelin' all warm and fuzzy inside, not a soul in sight, the skies just opened up and it was a total white out blizzard. :lol:

Figured I had better get the hell out of there and off the summit. Stopped long enough to take this pic and get below the snow line. Turned out be one of my all time favorite photos of last season of riding. :cheerleader:

This was last week of May btw. :lol:
displayimage.php

You are hard core Tim!

I just installed a dual power outlet under the hump, I can run my GPS and charge my cell phone at the same time. Its not near the quality of the Powerlets, but it gets the job done.

Overall, (if I haven't put you to sleep by now :laugh:), probably what I'd reccomend is a basic outlet kit you can install in the inner fairing to power your GPS. Note the standard plug is the Powerlet Plug or BMW-style plug. The Cigarette style is slowly going away.

The PKT-046 comes in varied lengths (use a string to measure out how far your power source is- ie fuse block or battery) and buy for the length of wire you'll need.

Buy Now for this is here

View attachment 128078

On the gloves, kind of depends on whether you opt for the Electric liner (possibly you already have one) or are going to power the gloves all by themselves. The liners & gloves all use Coax for the cabling, while the Powerlet Outlets are all Powerlet/BMW style plugs.

Pash,

Help me out. What do you have for an outlet and where is it on your busa? I did not see a busa specific outlet in the link you sent.

Thanks

Help me out. What do you have for an outlet and where is it on your busa? I did not see a busa specific outlet in the link you sent.

First off, the above text is about permanently installing a power accessory outlet in the dash area of the busa. Could power a GPS or Radar Detector, something like that.

However, the other way would be to plumb power to the rear of the bike. This is how I did mine long before I knew about those clean-install outlets. If you run say a 24" wire directly off the battery with a SAE end on it, that'd give you power in the tail section. SAE is likely the most universal of the plugs and then you can add adapters from there.

Here's the setup I ran for a couple years- and still have:
sony-powerpack2-500.jpg

Which is this wire, the Powerlet PKT-001
PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg

From that SAE plug, you can now plug in a Battery Tender, Air Compressor on the road, an electric vest, or pretty much power anything.

You'd need the proper adapter based on your application. In the picture above, you can see I'm powering the Video Camera mounted on the SportBikeCam mount with an cigarette style adapter.

The Y-Adapter has both a SAE & Cigarette style plug & is the Powerlet PAC-026. A lot of variation in these Y-Adapters, but they are very handy, I have several. :thumbsup:

PAC-026_p_47_webl.jpg

sony-powerpack2-500.jpg

PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg

PAC-026_p_47_webl.jpg

Also worth mentioning that if you install those clean-install Power Accessory Outlets, you can also power anything you'd like from them. The Powerlet style plugs are becoming very common. On my ST1100, it has two of them mounted side by side in the dash panel.

On the K1200R I have, there is one mounted in the dash area, and a 2nd one just below the seat which is factory-standard for these bikes.

Decided to use this wire, the Powerlet PAC-011 to run power from. So I bought two these, one for each outlet. Each one will power a Bullet Cam.

PAC-011-06_p_69_webl.jpg

The 90-degree powelet plug is really handy since it's a low-profile one and blends into the bike well. In this pic, you can see the Powerlet PAC-011 wire which then gets routed into the bodywork to hide my wiring. This outlet is powering a DVR system.

I'm running two camera systems off this bike, so I used the stock powlet outlet under just below the seat and routed a second Powerlet PAC-011 power wire into the rear of the bike.

The Power Accessory Outlet you see in the bodywork is the Powerlet PKT-046. ....and there are two versions of that, a low-profile (thinner on the inside for minimal clearance), and a normal one.

Img_4491-stock.jpg

PAC-011-06_p_69_webl.jpg

Img_4491-stock.jpg

Start here...
displayimage.php

End up here... :cheerleader:

Powering the Autocom with a Cig Style adapter. Plenty of room for the Autocom, Kenwood Radio, Air Compressor (red bag), Tire gauge, spare set of pegs, spare set of levers, underneath all that is the Power Commander. :thumbsup:

displayimage.php

Here's a pic of how my ST1100 was set up. It had two Power Accessory Outlets on the left side. Could power an electric vest or any sort of accessory with these. Handy.

This kit is the aforementioned Powerlet PKT-056 Kit which is a dual kit.

Back