How many of you know??????

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Okay you throttle twisters, things have been a little quiet on here for the past few days so I have a question for you?

How many of you know the difference between a good corner drive and a highside?

Let's see a discussion here! :beerchug:

I don't know what a good corner drive is, but isn't a highside an over the handlebars crash?

Anytime you leave your bike and then the bike finds you, its a bad thing no matter what you call it.

Carry a proper speed into the corner and accelerate out in the proper gear w/o wheel spin, or, too much wheel spin.

High siding would result with not enough entry corner speed and then too much acceleration coming out causing rear wheel spin which can pitch the bike sideways and the resultant high side get off.

Haven't high sided so am I doing it right???

The question is, what makes the difference in a good corner drive and a high side? :whistle:

(Good corner drive could be discribed as maximum accelleration on corner exit)

Last edited:
Are you assuming a limited amount of rear wheel slip under throttle during exit?

cheers
ken

I dunno, I run Michellins so I've never had a high side:rofl:

Answer: The difference is Entry Speed and turn setup Master Jedei?

Shows I don't know squat (as suspected), so please enlighten with your wisdom.

I was following someone yesterday (with video) who went into a turn faster than he could handle; the moment he grabbed brakes (front and back), his bike started heading for the outside and for a sec didn't think he was going to be able to pull it off. I was behind him - my entry speed was a little slower, but I had a better lean and cracked throttle to increase once IN the turn...my bike turned inside his at a higher speed, and mine was heavier (Busa vs. Katana 750). Was interesting learning point as I had my video camera on him the whole time.

Shows I don't know squat (as suspected), so please enlighten with your wisdom.

I was following someone yesterday (with video) who went into a turn faster than he could handle; the moment he grabbed brakes (front and back), his bike started heading for the outside and for a sec didn't think he was going to be able to pull it off. I was behind him - my entry speed was a little slower, but I had a better lean and cracked throttle to increase once IN the turn...my bike turned inside his at a higher speed, and mine was heavier (Busa vs. Katana 750). Was interesting learning point as I had my video camera on him the whole time.

The infamous Mike Sullivan uses this explaination at his race school. I'll share his answer after everyone has a chance to participate.

Your video of your friend will be a great teaching tool. Since a camera don't lie, you and your friend can examine the tape and determine exactly what he did wrong and critique his mistakes.

Sounds like one of those "Oh Sheetz) moments?

All seriousness aside....

I'd say the high side comes when the rear breaks loose as the result of too much throttle with the bike too far over.
Carry front brake to the apex, roll into the throttle (easily) and gradually from the apex out = good corner drive

Ok, wheres my toaster:laugh:

Besides, I am not 'slow'
I prefer to be called unfast!

Last edited:
My two-cents - the heavier the motorcycle, the less you should 'upset' the bike once you have it in a lean. If your speed is (too) high, pull (or push to some) hard on the handlebars to extend your lean and ride out the corner. If lean is (too) much, try to (smoothly) accelerate out of the corner. Avoid touching the breaks or chopping the throttle mid-corner - both panic reactions - these will trigger the high-side - see first video - once the low-side slide starts, user correction can lead to a high-side. Once you recover your first mistake, reduce your future corner entry speeds.
  • Low-side turns high-side:
  • Corner-drift?
    - Yamaha Drift[/url]​
  • Power-slide?
    - poweslide stunt[/url]​
  • Corner drive?
    - rs 125 highside crash on corner[/url]​
  • High side?
    - Slow Speed High Side[/url]​
  • Throttle-control?
    - Demonstrated their riding technique motorcycle VFR[/url]​

All Things Motorcycle - 001: Highside Dynamics