Muzzy / PCIII owners clutch question.....

Spudley

Grippin' and Rippin'
Donating Member
Registered
Sorry guys, I need to ask this clutch question straight out. I already read myself to death in clutch search, and can't quite find what I'm looking for......

06', 4800 miles, PCIII, Muzzy map, Muzzy Megaphone, throttles tuned, clutch fibers freshly replaced. Stack height 2", stock springs in spec, old steels reused.

Condition: During first gear drag starts, high rpm 5,000-6,000, roll to wide open throttle I'm getting clutch slip for an instant after clutch out, like a hop (about the time I'm WOT), then locks fine until shift. No other slippage, have hit hard in all gears, this thing is "silly strong" :bowdown:......

What say you ?. Replace springs with new ?, stagger springs with other ?, replace steels ?. Any of the above ?.

What are you Muzzy / PC guys running for clutch ?. Anyone remain stock ?.

I'd like to give this thing back to the owner reliably straight. I've done my job, and this machine runs "outstanding", now what do I need for finish on this clutch ?. The steels were all flat, and polished from the old clutch wearing out, but not warped. A little color (spots) on two out of ten.

Help me here, this 06; maroon is clashing with my 05' !!!!:thumbsup:

Gawd, I don't know Spud....my bike is set up with all the above and the stock clutch is perfect, history of track days, burn outs, wheelies, heavy luggage trips....I weigh 250 and the bike has 15k on it. HOWEVER, the first place I'd look is the hydraulic plunger/system at the countershaft cover assy. Air/water in lower part of line, mounting secure, etc. I say that cause when I went to a billet c/s cover, I was amazed at how much chainlube/debris that plunger was living in before I went through it! Good luck with it. Raydog

P1010340.JPG

Thanks Doyle, I'll give it a looksey. So the stock clutch "can" handle this power setup. So it should be working fine......that was part of my concern. The deal is, I'm wondering if these steels got case hardened. The old fibers were basically flat upon removal, and yet I calipered all the steels, and spec'd the springs. My stack measurement is tight-right.

It was slipping pretty badly on the way to my place last week, anything more than 2/3's throttle in low gears. My buddy bought it from a serviceman up there in Reno. By the looks of the rear tire, and these fibers, the guy rode it somewhere, did burnouts, and went home.

I'll hit the slave with a bleed job, and surroundings will get a clean up after I hit the steels and the springs. The stock chain hadn't been lubed and cleaned in a while.

Thanks for the heads-up on the clutch ability. :super: :bowdown: :super: Thanks Brother, I'll see you in July, I owe you a couple of beers !!! :beerchug:

I just wish people would beat on something else other than a Hayabusa........what a mess..... :moon:

Anyone else throwing in ????.......

Where any of the steel plates blue at all?

Also do have any clutch chatter when the problem is there?

I'm running a PCIII with fully muzzy 4-1 system and stock clutch on my 06. 5600 miles on the bike and have had no problems at all. I bought it with 2800 miles on it so I don't know how the first half of it miles were accumulated. The last 2800 has seen no burnouts (we all know it will do it and tires are expensive) but it hasn't been babied either. Maybe it's the color, is white more durable? :poke:

I don't know enough to recommend a fix to the problem but thought I'd throw in that I've had no problems with stock clutch on mine. The only thing I can add is what kind of oil is it running? I've heard stories of clutch slippage and problems from running the wrong oils.

Nope, I'm cool on this one. New steels will be here Friday, already has the upgraded springs. I should be righty-tighty by dinner time Friday night !!!. I'll report after I break it in....... :super:

Back