Racing AMA versus FIM World Championship

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Looking at going to Miller in Salt Lake City for the AMA and FIM world championship May 29-31.

I'm totally out of touch, trying to catch up, so what are the differences between AMA riders/bikes and the FIM World Superbike Championship riders/bikes?

In AMA it seems all American, and Mat Mladin seems to be the dude on a GSX-R1000, while in the FIM there is only one US rider Ben Spies on a R1 and Ducati seems to be king with the Brit Shane Byrne.

So, who will post the best track times, Berne on his Ducati, or Mladin on his Gizzer? Are the bikes under the same rules?

Last edited:
FIA will probably flatten the AMA bikes because of the new owners changes to the AMA rules. I think, ONLY Suzuki will have a Factory team competing in the Superbike Class. Since (in their (New Owners) infinite wisdom) they are now putting the 600cc as their Top Class. If the :rulez:'s haven't changed, then the AMA has just changed to a Big Club Race Event. Whereas the FIA has lots of Factory Support. Others on here know more and have kept up with the changes, so maybe they'll chime in !:beerchug:

Here is what DMG obviously did to keep things as close to last year as possible:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (December 18, 2008) - Ensuring that competitors will be able to continue to race motorcycles from a large pool of proven products and models, AMA Pro Racing announced today that all currently approved motorcycles from this past road racing season will remain certified and eligible for competition in 2009. The continuation is part of AMA Pro Road Racing's overall 2009 motorcycle approval procedure which was opened for applications last week.

The grandfather clause applies to motorcycles that were previously approved for Formula Xtreme and SuperSport competition and which are now eligible in the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike and AMA Pro SuperSport championships. Previously approved Superbikes are also automatically eligible for AMA Pro American Superbike competition.

Thing that gets me, there is virtually nothing on the AMA Superbike website that would indicate who is even still involved.
He**, maybe I should enter with the Busa just to get the umbrella girl photo op:rofl:

To answer the original question, American motorcycle racing took a huge step backward at the end of the '08 season but I'd still go to Miller if I could!

The difference between WSBK and AMA is HP, rules specs as to what they can and cannot do in terms of engine modifications, suspension components, etc..

AMA Sbks were down about 15 to 20 hp compared to WSBK. TODAY, since NASCAR owns AMA SBK via DMG, Superbike in America ISN'T SUPERBIKE. It's pretty much Superstock; bikes with more bolt-on type mods, fiberglass bodywork vs Carbon fiber bodywork, 17 inch wheels vs 16.5, etc. Now, they'll prolly be more like a 30 to 40 hp difference. WSBK will also allow modified crankshafts, whereas AMA will not (see last year's AMA fiasco with Mat Mladin's DQ'd wins from VIR).

Ben Spies was the top dog the last 3 years in AMA, not Mladin. Spies moved on to race WSBK with Yamaha Italia Factory Racing and is already showing promise to be a contender for the title.

But the biggest difference between WSBK and AMA is that WSBK is WAY more competitive and a helluva lot more exciting to watch. :thumbsup:

Back