HID Kit/LED Turn Signal Compatability Suggestion

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Hey, all...

I was just assisting another board member with some info regarding the install on his new HID kit.

The question was, specifically, which resistors he needed to install in-line to make his turn signals work properly and in concert with the new kit.

So, I called my local shop to see what they were using (as I didn't install mine myself) and here's the suggestion they made:

What you want to get is "Load-Resistant Turn Signal Relay." You'll need one for each side, and they need to be in the 5-6 ohm range. (The higher the ohm, the slower the flash; the lower the ohm, the faster the flash. Five or Six-Ohm is about normal speed for turn-signals). These are reportedly far superior to the aluminum-finned in-line ohm resistors which have been breaking (a hard wire which protrudes from the resistor itself)because of the vibration.​

Apparently, Lockhart Phillips makes these, so a call to your local dealership or Cycle Gear should get you what you need... Reportedly, they run about $10/ea.

Interesting stuff, at a minimum. A good suggestion for new-installs or retrofits.

Thanks for the q, M...I learned something new today! :beerchug:

so these resistors will make the stock blinkers into running lights and stay on with the headlights and blink with the blinkers?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, the just slow down the blinking. With LEDs, they have less resistance then a normal bulb, and blink much faster.

Hey, yallz...it only has to do with the HID kit in that if you want the running lights to match the head lamp color (mostly) (and I should have mentioned this is Gen2 specific), in-line resistors are going to be needed to prevent the turn signals from flashing at an accelerated rate. The difference in the power they draw makes the turn signals react.

That's all. Sorry that it wasn't clear up-front.

:whistle:

Back