Help checking trans fluid

Rocker_on_Rocket

Registered
Hi,
I'm new to the site. I have a 2005 busa and beginning to do my own maintenance and I have my first 2 questions......
First, I have noticed now that I have had the bike for 3 years that when I start it up and put it in neutral, there is a knocking in neutral when the bike is cold and it gets better after the bike warms up. is this normal wear and tear and should not be so concerned?
Second, I should check the tran fluid but I don't see anywhere on the manual about where its located on my bike and what fluid. Anyone know where it is on my bike and what fluid to use? I appreciate the help!!!!
Regards,
Rocker_on_Rocket

Welcome to the board bro. I have an 05 also, when was the last time the oil was changed?

There is a sight glass on the right side where you can see the oil level.

Your bike uses motorcycle oil to lube the tranny as well. When you change your motorcycle oil and filter, you are also taking care of the tranny.

edit: make sure the bike is level when checking. and when you change oil/filter go ahead and put all 4 quarts in there when changing the filter also...which I do everytime.

Last edited:
as posted by Rodney, crank, trans and clutch all run on the same oil load...

The knocking may be normal depending on what it is.. Grab a hand full of clutch, listen, put in gear listen and the let the clutch drag a bit and listen a third time.. did the noise stop at any point? Really need a trained ear to determine what is making noise..

Another item could be the cam chain noise when cold, mine had a rattle to it until I forced the adjuster out 1 click..

:welcome: Glad to see you aren't afraid to ask questions. That is what this board is all about. We all keep learning.

There is a sight glass on the right side where you can see the oil level.

Your bike uses motorcycle oil to lube the tranny as well. When you change your motorcycle oil and filter, you are also taking care of the tranny.

edit: make sure the bike is level when checking. and when you change oil/filter go ahead and put all 4 quarts in there when changing the filter also...which I do everytime.

+1 :welcome:
As said, trans and engine lubrication is "all in one", bike level, site glass (green arrow) at full mark, important to change every 3000 to 5000 miles.

9-18 07 oil change 037.jpg

panels 006.jpg

Last edited:
My thanks to all of you who replied! Not only is your info extremely valuable, you all made me feel very welcome here! I did change the oil and filter just last week and filled it up with the correct oil to spec. Before I started to do the maintenance, it has been taken care of at the scheduled time by the Stealership. It has 7700 miles now.
When I have the bike in gear, it doesn't make this light knocking sound. It only happens if I put the bike in neutral when its cold which is what I do now (I used to just hold the clutch down) when I'm letting it warm up in the morning. this is why I think it might be something in the transmission. I'll check out the cam chain just in case! Again, thank you all for such a warm welcome! MyMaster.....Nice pics brother!!!! ;-)

:welcome: The clutch will get noisy as it wears. If it goes away when you pull the clutch in, it's most likely the cause of the noise. Noisey doesn't necessarily = bad.

Thanks Everyone! From all the advice, I've got two choices that look close to home! I also changed my spark plugs to irridiums and adjusted the idle to the correct 1150 RPM as it was idling low and rough. It is running REALLY smooth!!! I don't even have to use the choke when I first turn it on cold!! Planning on getting the undertail done as it still has the stock fender and reflectors. Then planning on getting 2 bros stubby exhaust put in. I'll post some pics within the next couple of days and get an avatar together! Sorry all....as you know....I'm new here. :-( Thanks again!

Back