Blue smoke !!

too many toys

Registered
I have noticed recently that my 07 blows blue smoke on deceleration. It will also do it if I rev it a little in neutral. My bike only has 3500 miles on it and is all stock except for the slip-ons. What the hell? Is this normal or am I looking at a rebuild already? Its not like I race this thing and I have never even hit the rev limiter in any gear (the fastest I have ever gone is 120 in 6th).

going to take a bit more research.. could be a problem with the oil itself, the oil level, some bad guide seals, ring issue, excessively rich motor or just normal..

if the motor has been sitting around for long periods, oil reside can build up and then burn off when the motor comes up to temp.. I would double check the oil level, and then put some miles on the thing and see if it is even using any oil..

Smoking on decel and a bigger puff when you hit the gas again is usually valve guide/stem seals wear, but not at 3500 miles. As Mr Bogus said, if it's set for a long time and just been started up that could be the problem, but will burn off pretty quick.
Change the oil and filter, ride it for a few hundred miles and watch your oil level. I suspect it needs to be ridden and everything will be alright again.

I hope you guys are right. If this thing needs any kind of serious work Im just going to get rid of it. I have enough projects, rebuilds, overhauls etc. on my plate. I dont need another.???

Use your Warranty! After verifying it is not an oil over fill condition take it straight to the dealer for them to look at. As a mechanic it blows my mind how many people will never use the warranty for issues and instead take them to an independent shop for repairs and pay for it themselves.

Use your Warranty! After verifying it is not an oil over fill condition take it straight to the dealer for them to look at. As a mechanic it blows my mind how many people will never use the warranty for issues and instead take them to an independent shop for repairs and pay for it themselves.
after seeing the quality of some of the dealership techs... I can not say as I blame them (I have 30 years as a auto tech) This is especially true I think in the midwest and east coast areas.. with only a partial season where bikes are on the roads, the guys just do not get that much work and so you end up with a lot of younger lesser experienced guys working on the bikes.. most older guys need decent steady income and working flat rate on bikes? is not going to happen...

I would still put some miles on the thing before hauling it in and letting anyone touch it (as if that were going to happen)..

I am betting it is just some soggy valves and maybe a bit of residue in the system.. will go away and be done with it.. (could be worse when cold due to the extra fuel pumped in during the cold run)

Last edited:
Pour 6 oz. of SeaFoam into a full tank of fuel and go ride it out. Ride it hard and ride it hot. You may have a minor carbon build-up. And never use premium fuel, it burns too slow and will build up carbon on the valves and rings.

Ron

Pour 6 oz. of SeaFoam into a full tank of fuel and go ride it out. Ride it hard and ride it hot. You may have a minor carbon build-up. And never use premium fuel, it burns too slow and will build up carbon on the valves and rings.

Ron
egads man where you getting this info from?

SeaFoam (fuel system cleaner via high amounts of detergents) does not care how hard you ride the motor, it cares about dwell time on deposits so that it can dissolve them..

They do have a seafoam crankcase additive (pre service additive) that can help loosen up rings and re-liquify oil deposits just prior to an oil change..

it could reduce or increase oil burn in a motor depending on the condition of the engine.. Using the crankcase additive, I would NOT ride it hard as it is a pure petroleum based oil that has very short film strength (this according to the maker) Regardless a motor with 3K on it should not have any issues requiring such an intervention yet..

Virtually all carbon build up is from oil.. the only thing gasoline does is remove it via additive packages.. Also, carbon build up would not cause an engine to smoke but it will prolong the smoke should oil get into the combustion process (soaks it up) There are some really obscure exceptions that do not apply here such as crankcase contamination from hung injectors etc...

Premium fuel vs Regular fuel = a couple points in octane reading - octane = a fuels ability to resist burning (IE hard to light).. it will have no effect on carbon build up except to help remove it if it has a good additive package..

My warranty has expired. I only had the one year warranty and the first year passed last June. Im not sure I would trust those zipperheads at the stealership anyway. I didnt get any smoke for at least 15 minutes yesterday. This thing is acting like it needs valvestem seals.:banghead:

Mr bogus, You are the man. It"s really amaizing at some of the answers that are given for problems but i.ve never dissagreed with any of your answers. I,ve been in the auto repair business for about 30 years also and you always beat me to the answers. you type faster so i just read them and say yep, that is rite.

Back