Best setup for a 5'5" rider doing touring?

mrcllusb

Registered
I'm looking into purchasing a used Busa,and would like to compile a mod list for my height.I've read page after page here and this is what i've come up with so far.My wife and i will be doing touring on this machine.
1-Corbin and/or Tobin seat(backrest for my wife).
2-Genmar risers with helibars( i have short arms).
3-Taller windscreen(Zero Gravity)
4-Foot pegs mod(Still unsure)
5-Touring bags
6-Cruise control
7-Dual power outlets for heated vest/suits.
8-Some sort of lowering package so that my feet can be planted flat?
Also what year should i start to look at?This will be my second bike.Moving up from a Kawa Ninja 750.

Last edited:
I'm looking into purchasing a used Busa,and would like to compile a mod list for my height.I've read page after page here and this is what i've come up with so far.My wife and i will be doing touring on this machine.
5-Touring bags
6-Cruise control
Also what year should i start to look at?This will be my second bike.Moving up from a Kawa Ninja 750.

I'm only an inch or so taller than you so here's what I did.

The Corbin is probably not the way you want to go unless your legs are pretty long outta that 5'5". Its .75" wider at the base of the tank than stock and will cut your legs out. I had a corbin for a week. I had mine lowered and stood flat footed with the stock seat but couldnt barely tippy toe with the corbin. The tobin is narrower at the front, much more comfy too :beerchug:

Try the heli's alone first, if you do both you will also definitely need new lines which adds a bit of $$$ to your work. I did the helis and it made a hellova difference.

The windscreen will be a good addition.

I'd go to a few rides with other folks here before doing the footpegs, it may or may not help you. If you can find someone with the peg mods in your are that would be even better, if they are willing to let you sit and test the feel.

There are PLENTY of threads on the bags, cruise control and power setups. make sure you have the rectifier capacity for adding on a ton of stuff, might find you need a second battery but probably not.

You can lower the rear 1.5" with dog bones for about $30 and floor jack and probably an impact hammer or a dang strong arm :laugh: I didnt lower the front, havent noticed any issues.

I'd also recommend some heavier bar ends. Depending on the cruise control selection you can do this by getting the heavy version of the throttlemister. If you go electronic CC, then get some heavy ends to save you from any vibrations in your hands :thumbsup:

HTH :beerchug:

Last edited:
I just did the Heli Bar mod and did not have to change out anything. I even reused the clutch side grip by using liberal amounts of rubbing alcohol to loosen the glue. I can't tell you on the difference from riding the bike because theres lots of snow and salt on the roads in Ohio but just sitting on the bike makes a difference, how much time will tell.

you can get away with all the stock cables if you do one or the other, genmars or helis, if you do both, you will need more length so new cables are a must.

gearing is a good suggestion too, dont get too crazy with it though :whistle:

I am 5'5", if you do the tobin seat that lowers you about 1.5 inches. If that still is not low enough for you, depends on things like do you ride with thick heel boots or low heels etc. Then I would suggest soupy adjustable links especially if your going to be riding two up. I had the aluminum 3 hole links, while they work the soupys are very rugged steel pieces that can go from -1 to +1 they will last forever but expect to pay $100ish.

I did the reaper risers, got 1" rise on bars and they only cost like $25, its a no brainer if you ask me, compared to the higher cost of genmar risers, and heli bars, etc. You will have to search the site, I bought them after searching somewhere on here last year.

08,09's are outta my budget.Not looking to spend 10,000 on a bike right now.I'm still paying off my vehicle and only like to finance one toy at a time.I'll be paying cash for the Busa.

For 6k you should be able to get an 01 or an 02. I'd prefer to look at all stock or almost ball stock that way you know what you have to start out with. I hear the 01's have steel swingarms rather than aluminum which could be an asset when touring from the dependability standpoint.

Thanks for the advice.I figured i would be looking around that year range.I don't want one that has been highly modded already.Bone stock or maybe with some slip-ons is what i prefer.

my 02 hasnt really had any issues. The 99/00's had fuel pump issues. It was resolved in 01, however the 99/00/01s have a different midpipe configuration than the 02s. They started with the silver midpipe then and they can be seperated from the header pipe. So not to narrow you to a needle in a haystack but I'd swing for an 02/03 or newer. If you look on ebay (the devil) you can find a few deals and also make sure you look in the member for sale threads here :cool:

Also for touring, you will probably wanna look into the avon tires, they seem to get a lot better milage than others :beerchug:

Definitely worth making it out to the bash in April if you can, there will be just about every kinda mod you can imagine there so you can look, talk about, touch, feel, etc and make educated mod $$ decisions :thumbsup:

5-Touring bags
6-Cruise control

(1) a Tobin will get your feet closer to the dirt and a corbin will give her a backrest. (3) i have a Puig windscreen and like it a lot. (4) not sure about you needing a footpeg mod. (5) i LOVE my Oxford Humpback series bags. they are soft bags and i keep the tank bag on all the time. (6) i have Throttlemeister bar ends and i use the little plastic palm thingie (name escapes me but was $10 at the cycle shop). (7) power outlets are not difficult but i hear a lot of people using Powerlet setups. (8) you can get dog bones for the rear and if you change out your triple tree cover you can lower the front (possible "2").

i'm not a fan of lowering if it is not for the drag strip, but if i had to it would be bare minimum.

also, i have seen very good 02's - 04's for the price you ball-parked.

Back