Why wear leather?

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
FYI

Under the EU Standards, material used in motorcycle protective clothing must have abrasion resistance of between 4 and 7 seconds for use over the high impact areas of the body (Zone 1 and 2). Just to put this in context, a single layer of 1.4 mm cow hide will last 5.8 seconds, while 200 gsm denim (or your standard jeans), will last just over half (0.6) of a second (SATRA, 2002).

something to think about :whistle:

Although, i've been shown studies at MSF classes that say leather, ballistic material and denim all shred about the same time. The difference is less than a second.

But that is interesting.

I'd like to know what speed they tested cow hide that lasted 5.8 seconds.???

Not something you want to figure out when you need the protection. Thank you Steve.

Good info, and good advice, just ask anyone who's had the misfortune to experience it.

Thanks, Steve!

:beerchug:

I like leathers because they look cool on the beach:)

P1020852.JPG

Good info!

Road rash is extremely painful. You get no pain medication before your wounds are scrubbed out with what looks like a tire brush by some wrinkled up old nurse lady which your screams have absolutely no effect on. And that's just the beginning. When you have skin pealed off your belly and grafted onto your raw a$$ checks it creates extreme suffering and takes a long time to heal. Not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars spent to patch your ignorant a$$ up. All because you are just way to Cool to wear leathers in hot weather! :thumbsup:

The consequencies of poor judgment can be long and painful! :beerchug:

How about this question to you : how often do you wear your leather? how far do you have to plan on going to decied to put them on? (only track days, only long trips if so how long)

Although, i've been shown studies at MSF classes that say leather, ballistic material and denim all shred about the same time. The difference is less than a second.

But that is interesting.

I'd like to know what speed they tested cow hide that lasted 5.8 seconds.???
Really? and they expect people to believe them? I have seen guys do barrel rolls in jeans and tee shirts as well as leathers... sure looked like leather was the way to go in my eyes..

How about this question to you : how often do you wear your leather? how far do you have to plan on going to decied to put them on? (only track days, only long trips if so how long)

for me, if I am on the bike, I look just like the pic above, as does the people I ride with, no matter if its just a 5 minute ride or an all day ride, as it was that day Rayabusa0818 and I was at the beach.

leathers every time I get on bike.. I commute about 3 miles to work and have ridden it without my leathers but I feel.... nekkid... Road rash is ugly stuff and is essentially the same as getting burned.. (I spent 30 days in a burn unit after an accident, was not a good period of my life) I do not want return visit to the place...

Back