Riding from T.O. to Florida...Help!

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
Hi all. My son will be graduating from police college in Homestead Florida in early March (6) and
i want to ride down for the event. But...my plan is too trailer the bike down to Virginia,offload,then ride the rest of the way. Question is,do I call a bike shop and ask if I can have help offloading AND to leave my car and trailer on their property?

Any suggestions on how to make this happen? I live in Toronto so I have to drive at least a day to get to warmer riding weather(although I went riding 2 days ago in 1 celcius,not including windchill).Do i reach out here on the board for an accomadating member for assistance?

I am not strong enough to offload the bike by myself,I need help, those of you who have done this,what did you do with your car and trailer until you came back?

I am thinking that i will be about 10 days,I want to ride the coast down ( Hwy 17? to 1 or A1A?) I think i can make it to Winchester Virginia in one long day then ride the rest of the way....I guess...Any help,info,suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,all and Happy New Year!!:thumbsup:

I bet someone here can help you. I'm in Indiana so thats probably not close enough:laugh:

Heck if you want to drive all the way here to Tallahassee I'll help you unload and you can park here as long as you want.

I don't know about A1A, pleasant ride and all with nice scenery all along the ocean, but it will take forever to get down there and Homestead is WAY south. :whistle:
And Route 17 meanders along through small towns. (I've taken it from J.Ville as far as DeLand.) Best shot is get down there on 95 at a resonable rate and time and and then sight see when you get there. Not too far past Homestead (30 miles) and your in Key Largo! :laugh: Weather is great come on down. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi all. My son will be graduating from police college in Homestead Florida in early March (6) and
i want to ride down for the event. But...my plan is too trailer the bike down to Virginia,offload,then ride the rest of the way. Question is,do I call a bike shop and ask if I can have help offloading AND to leave my car and trailer on their property?

Any suggestions on how to make this happen? I live in Toronto so I have to drive at least a day to get to warmer riding weather(although I went riding 2 days ago in 1 celcius,not including windchill).Do i reach out here on the board for an accomadating member for assistance?

I am not strong enough to offload the bike by myself,I need help, those of you who have done this,what did you do with your car and trailer until you came back?

I am thinking that i will be about 10 days,I want to ride the coast down ( Hwy 17? to 1 or A1A?) I think i can make it to Winchester Virginia in one long day then ride the rest of the way....I guess...Any help,info,suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,all and Happy New Year!!:thumbsup:
really you should be able to load/offload the bike by yourself on a proper trailer..

Parking: Although a bit expensive now days, I have used airports over the years (good security) Another option is just find a member enroute and land the thing at their house for a few days.. i am out of route for you or would be happy to host your car :)

I live in London....no help there..... but the trip sounds quite interesting.
I know i will not be able to wait till the third week in April to get down south...
Pm me and keep me posted on your plans....
Good luck, fellow Canadian.

Humm, well maybe trailer down to NC then ride from there would be a better option. Hwy 17 can be nice along the NC/SC coast, but I don't know about down in FL. I do know a few good routines along the way to homestead, Hwy 27, 441, A1A in certain areas.

My work schedule might be a problem, I may or may not be in town.

If you want to ride to Rochester, I can help you. Unfortunately---i don't think it's far enough south!

really you should be able to load/offload the bike by yourself on a proper trailer..

Parking: Although a bit expensive now days, I have used airports over the years (good security) Another option is just find a member enroute and land the thing at their house for a few days.. i am out of route for you or would be happy to host your car :)

I am about 115 lbs and about 5'4 and i have a hard enough time pushing the bike on my gravel driveway!

I live in Melbourne, Fla. About 2 hours north of Homestead and I have done your ride both down to Homestead and also down from the north back to here. First I will also welcome you keeping your trailer here as long as you'd like and I will help you offload and onload again. Secondly I concur with the post about A1A and 17. Once in Fla, A1A will be scenic but sporadic ad slow going. I have done A1A from Miami up to Jupiter. One of the longest days rides I had had. Nice but I don't recal getting over 40 M.P.H. I concur about either doing 95 or the Turnpike down and then going slow back.

I would also recommend the Keys suggestion. GREAT GREAT riding down to the end and a little fun in Key West.

pm me you can leave whatever you need at my place and I'll be happy to help you unload or load or whatever. I am in tidewater va so it is about 2 hours off 95 but not to big a deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will also add that if you are trailered north of me and need a place to stay over enroute, you'd have a place to keep your Busa washed and dry and kept warm. You could prolly sleep out in the garage with it....lol. Teasin. You can sleep in an actual bed, but your Busa would have to stay in the garage.

Thanks to all. When it comes closer to the time of departure I will definatley putting a shout out for all members who want to be of assistance with lodging,advice,info,suggestion's ect.

hey if the timing is right and I get permission from my boss I may be able to ride some of the way with you. Actually I bet we could hand you off to .org members the whole way.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can make it to greensboro, I'll help you unload and have a driveway large enough for you to park your vehicle safely.

Back