tourbus

Registered
wow,
dunno.gif

bs.gif

sad.gif

banghead.gif

rock.gif
 all came to mind tonight while performing the 1st oil change on my 2008 bus. I just came in from the garage after what seemed like an hour of shear terror. I'v never had a motorcycle oil change give me such a different array of emotions, i was pissed, i was worried, i was lost, i was sad, i was wtf??? i was happy. i started riding in the early 90's when i was a sophmore in h.s, i'v had many, many, bikes since then mainly sportbikes and have never seen anything like this. Does suzuki think nobody changes oil in these things? I got the plastic off but i will tell you guys i still don't know exactly how i did it. I read everything i could on here about it & thot it shouldn't be that bad & boy was i wrong. The problem i had was getting the plastic to release from the upper & inner plastic/cowling. All the hardware was removed and all 4 push pen thingys were pulled out of there rubber gromets but i couldn't get it removed & than BAM!!! it came free & nothing broke. So the oil change is done but i saved the plastic reinstall for tomorrow, where is the best place to start? do i get it hooked back into the upper than do the leading edge? pleeze help. im going to finish this carrot cake & im headed to bed.................probably going to have nightmare's of the reinstall

Dude I feel the same way you did.....the next day after owning the bike...I changed oil and added a full system and it was a 2 day process. I have never had a bike this hard to work on. My aprilia was even easier then the Busa. I thought Honda's were a *****, until this bike.....
guns.gif

Dude I feel the same way you did.....the next day after owning the bike...I changed oil and added a full system and it was a 2 day process. I have never had a bike this hard to work on. My aprilia was even easier then the Busa. I thought Honda's were a *****, until this bike.....
guns.gif
This goes beyond ridiculous, suzuki's reasoning of making it clean for the custom paint crowed is fricking dumb. i can see hiding some of the fastners but what suzuki has done is over the top for stupidity. I am willing to bet there is going to be alot of busted fairings because of this, by all means mine should be broken too the way it popped, crackled, squeeked when i was trying to get it off. I usually look forward to changing oil in my bikes but not this one, it SUCKED!!!!

I have had mine off three times, it gets better. Not by much. I agree it is a nightmare the first time.

Make sure you are very careful on the grommets mounted in the ram air ducts. They will end up pushed in the duct and you will find them inside the air cleaner when you take out the filter.
You can try this......
Leave the grommet out, glue it in, or this.
I used sand paper to smooth out the pin on the panel, it was not smooth. Use Vaseline or spray silicon on the grommet.
As you install the panel, try to keep it away from the grommet. Insert the angled tabs into the upper fairing and try to hold the panel out and away from the grommet. (the pin will drag on the grommet and unseat it) You have to make sure the black portion of the panel with the grommet by the gas tank is up over the mount. You need three hands.
after you slide the panel forward and it line s up, press in the top grommet, then the one for the ram air duct and the one hidden low center.
Line up the lower chin correctly, I mean way low underneath, where the two push pins will go back.
If these are overlapped wrong, it will be difficult to get them right at a later time.
Start pressing the inner cowl snaps together.
The little piece over the rectifier needs to be lined up in the tongue and groves, then swing it up into position under the side panel, insert the screw.
After all the panels screws are in and all the snaps are put together, tighten the screws.

Good Luck

Line up the screw holes and start the screws, leave loose until all are started.
The

Yes this is a major pain and I cussed Suzuki like a sailor.
The good news is .......it gets easier after the second... third time.

I don't think anyone with zero experience with plastic removal should attempt it. Gen one owners would be fine if they have patience. First timers need someone to show them and help. It will save on the nightmares.

ER...I guess I must be missing something. Just took a look at my bike and the fairing does not have to be removed to change the oil. Drain plug is freely accessible.

rock.gif
??

I dunno.. I can get both sides off of mine in less than 5 minutes. Some folks don't have alot of mechanical ability, and this can cause troubles. Thats why they have service shops and dealerships with service areas.

Yup, I helped ChrisSK with his fairing removal and it was definitely a PITA compared to the older Gen Busa's.

It does get better after the first time!

Reverse the order you removed everything and it should be back together believe it or not in about 20 minutes!

Yes, I agree the first time was a PITA!!! But, I am a experienced tech. myself and would agree if you did this a few times you would get better, but this bike is more of a pain then it should be. I have worked on Honda's that I thought were hard. But this takes the cake. Being careful and trying not to screw up a brand new bike, I know adds to the stress of taking it apart. I know what I am doing, but I guess I am spoiled with my 02 1k for service work or mods. Very easy!!!!!
cool.gif

ER...I guess I must be missing something. Just took a look at my bike and the fairing does not have to be removed to change the oil. Drain plug is freely accessible.

rock.gif
??
How are you getting to the oil filter? you do change filters when you change your oil right?
rock.gif
? kind of defeats the purpose of doing an oil change if your not changing the filter as well?
whistling.gif
just re -circulating all the junk and crap in the filter back into the new clean oil

rock.gif

+1 on all that with the annoyingness of these plastics... however, I have had mine off like 4 times in the last two weeks with this whole swingarm project and I'm getting really quick at it. I had all plastics, including the tail section, off in less than 30 minutes, did the adjustments I needed and had them all back together in another 30 minutes. By this time I"ve got all the fasteners memorized... however, be careful!! some of the hex-head bolts strip out easily! I will have to replace two of mine already because I was going to fast and using a cordless drill.

rock.gif
??
How are you getting to the oil filter? you do change filters when you change your oil right?
rock.gif
? kind of defeats the purpose of doing an oil change if your not changing the filter as well?
whistling.gif
just re -circulating all the junk and crap in the filter back into the new clean oil
Ah, of course, the filter.

Didn't think of that.

rock.gif

well i got the s.o.b back on,it turned out to be a disaster though, well kinda.I was a dumb-azz and set the plastic in a safe place atop my zx-11's seat, the plastic fit on it well and i figured no one could accidently knock it off or step on it but for some reason it knocked itself off and landed on the painted side
wowold.gif
oddley enough though i didnt get mad about it, as crappy as this whole process went i would'nt expect any less. well my pop showed up and we got the plastic on which i still do not understand how it hooks into the upper fairing and the trim pieces near the forks/the plastic by the radiator but it went (its some sort of hook system). I then broke out my polishes and rubbed where my new found scratches were and much to my disbelief 99.9% of them came out
woot.gif
infact you can't even notice any scratches at all. Then we headed to my dad's to change the oil in his 08 busa and it did go much better but........we still ran into the dang problem of getting that big azz side fairing to release from the inner cowling,everything we try to do doesnt work & then all of a sudden it comes free. It does it in a manner so you do not know what you have done to make it magicaly release. i love these new hayabusa's but dang, this is rediculous, i may never master it because other than oil changes i never pull the side plastic's off.

I think i'll hold onto my Gen1.
Yep.........me also.
Me too. My gen 1's enough of a pain plastic wise....I would NEVER own a bike thats worse
wowold.gif
thumb_down.gif
sad.gif
Plus the gen 2's just not my style. These companies have to really start thinking about ease of maintainence on these plastic monstrosities
argue.gif
We know your listening Suzuki, LEARN from the constant complaints about the 08, and even the first gens plastics, and change the !@#$ing way you design this crap!!! My current busa will be my last Suzuki until I see some forward thinking about making this plasti-junk easier to work on
cursin.gif

I've only had mine off once, getting ready for the second oil change & slider install now. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but DAMN--it was a little scarry. Lots of noise, I thought I was gonna break off every tab and fastner on the thing. The hardest part were the hidden snaps, latches, whatever where the lower meets the upper only the right front side. I got it off and back on, but for the life of me, I still don't know how. What's the secret to unhooking/hooking that section. Lift up? Pull down? Push in? Pull out? Sounds like a 30 minutle workout video!!!

Back