Rear fender challenged

muskrat

Registered
I can't get this stupid thing off. The hex bolts that hold it on won't loosen and I can't see how to get to the nuts on the other side. Is there a trick to this (like taking off the bottom of the "trunk" to access these or is it much simpler and I just can't see it? Same thing with the left side reflector bracket... the bolts won't loosen and can't tell how to get the the nuts on the other side of the undertail.

... and yes I am mechanically challenged.

The 4 bolts that hold the fender on screw into the subframe-no nuts. The problem is they are heavily loctited(looks like blue -acts like red) from the factory. They come out hard all the way out.

As far as the reflector mounts, these do have nuts on the inside that you have to remove the frame cover to get at. But do a search, lots of tips on how to get them off without having to get at the nuts.

Jefro's right... I took mine off last night.
Started with a 3/8 ratched and gave up after 30 seconds. Fired up the air compressor and the air ratchet had them all out in about 2 minutes... Tight to the last thread.

Remember with working a bolt loose with heavy amounts of loctite on it, that you should loosen it a bit and then thread it in a bit, and loosen some more to avoid a possible broken bolt.

Good to know information. I willl be doing this mod. monday!!!
thumb_up.gif

On parts that are Loctited, use a heat gun or a high powered hair dryer and get it hot, they will come right off. Locktite is only uncured plastic.

Ron

Back