How do you install this undertail?

mach1970

Registered
I am wondering if anyone has installed the undertail from HPC yet? If so can someone post some directions and maybe some pictures of the install. The directions are terrible and the pictures in the directions are even worse. I really like the quality of the product but the directions are bad. I plan on installing this and my hugger this weekend if the weather holds up okay.

Thanks,

You mean no one has installed this piece yet? Come on guys help me out. I can't seem to make sense of the included instructions.

Thanks,

Not sure if I can do much of a job of explaining this. I took the push pins out and the bolts holding the front part of the fender. Pushed the inner fender up out of the way and slid the new one in on one side pass the point it should be. I had to pull the front part of the fender out to do this. Then I slid the opposite side under it's side, also pulling out the front fender on that side. The hard part was getting it in the back at the taillight. After working it all in I push, from the top the inner in place while lining the holes with a small screwdriver. I didn't cut anything. It took some doing to get the pins back in. I broke 2 trying. I stole 2 from under the seat and replaced then with others I had. I used the plate holder that came with it and it seems to be holding up. Also drilled 2 holes in the new inner and installed 2 led lamps to shine on the plate. If I can be of any more help let me know. I've tried to take some pictures, but with everything black it's hard to see. It does look good, even it you have to get on the ground to see.

I have mine but am waiting for the hugger to arrive before I start. I too am interested in how to do it. My question is what did you drill to attach the new carbon fiber plate holder to? The new undertail?
lurk.gif
Try pics anyway!!!
lurk.gif

lurk.gif

I ended up having to cut the "lip" which mounted the stock undertail in order to get mine to fit. Not much cutting involved, but it did take some time for me to interpret the directions. I like the part of the directions which said to "cut along the blue line"...which was hard to see in the black and white pictures
laugh.gif

Back