Need help with Rear Axle Nut...

skyydiver

Registered
Okay, I know this should go under "Top Speed", but not too many people look there so I figured I would get better traffic under this forum.

Unlike the Gen I bikes, the Gen II's do not have cotter pins on the rear axle nut. I am getting the bike ready for racing in the Texas Mile and of course one of the safety requirements is, "Rear Axels must have cotter pin, clip, or safety wire to retain nut in place".

So what are you guys doing or what have you done for the rear axle nut?
sadnews.gif

Thanks,
Joe

You have to drill it. If you can get a bit through just the axle then drill just it and use a normal cotter key. Otherwise get the nut tight and drill through it and the axle and then key or wire it.

It does suck that it doesnt come pre drilled like every other sportbike in the world.

wow that bites... are there any exposed threads? and do the rules allow for a second "lock" or "jam" nut?

You have to drill it. If you can get a bit through just the axle then drill just it and use a normal cotter key. Otherwise get the nut tight and drill through it and the axle and then key or wire it.

It does suck that it doesnt come pre drilled like every other sportbike in the world.
I am afraid that if I drill it, I will not be able to get the nut back off the axle...damage to the axle threads....

You can saftey wire the gilles nut. Remember, at 200 mph what's it worth?

Check with a board sponsor.

r8

I am afraid that if I drill it, I will not be able to get the nut back off the axle...damage to the axle threads....

Just screw the nut on before you drill (take the axle out of the bike). Then use an exacto knife to clean up the threads real good before you unscrew the nut. The nut will smooth the threads as it comes off making it nice and clean no problem....
winkold.gif

I will be going this route also and just installing a cotter pin...
super.gif

Back