New teen '08 owner.  Q's on Mods:

Chicago_DSM

Registered
Hey guys

Let me start out by clearing up any confusion. I am not the owner, I am just a good friend of an '08 Busa owner who is knowledgeable about cars and wishes to help him out.

Now, to start, my friend is 18 years old, which to my understanding is one of the youngest owners I have seen so far. I have been lurking around for a day now. I'm not looking for any negative comments about his age, this is his second bike and he can ride very well.

Already he has installed a TwoBrothers Full Ti exhaust (with the CF Muffler), and a PC-III which has been programmed for the Exhaust. I have already swayed him away from making this an all out 8 second race bike, but he is still planning on making this is as powerful and Drag friendly as possible.

I am no bike expert, in fact, I'm still learning, but I decided to come on here to ask the pro's about proper mod selection before he buys parts he doesn't need.

Here are my questions:

1) Tuning: Is a dyno the only means to accurate PowerCommander tuning? He already has the base map programmed, but I can tell the bike runs a bit rich, it has a habit for shooting flames. Is it possible to install a wideband onto this bike, or is that not necessary? I am not sure how else I will truly know where the bike is running lean or rich in order to tweak the Lo-Mid-Hi adjustment knobs.

2) Traction: As far as Drag Racing goes, he has never raced them at the track. The 1340cc Busa is a big step up from his CBR929 so he gets a bit nervous when the front wheel comes up at Wide Open Throttle. What mods will help with overall traction, so getting off the line easier and keeping the wheel down. I know that an extended swing-arm will help, but which vendor sells them and which kit is best? What else do you guys install (besides a better rear tire)

3) Other mods/bolt ons: What else can he use to make more power? Who makes a decent air filter, and is the performance difference noticeable? Are air-shifters fine for a 90% street bike? He would like to install a Turbo kit (kit utilizing a Mitsubishi 16g) but that seems out of his league..

4) Nitrous: Right now, since I told him a Turbo is out of the question, he is looking into spray for the power adder. What do you guys think, Dry or wet kit, and how much is too much (ie 35,50 or 75 shot)? He would only run the spray with 100% mixture of 100-110 octane in the tank. How do you guys run your spray setups? Please explain as far as WOT switches, bottle placements, race gas/pump gas and what gear you spray in. BTW, he is looking to do this as sleeper as possible.

Thanks in advance, I know I asked a lot but we are both just learning and I'm hoping you guys have the answers I'm looking for
smile.gif

-Josh

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
1) Tuning: Is a dyno the only means to accurate PowerCommander tuning?  He already has the base map programmed, but I can tell the bike runs a bit rich, it has a habit for shooting flames. Is it possible to install a wideband onto this bike, or is that not necessary?  I am not sure how else I will truly know where the bike is running lean or rich in order to tweak the Lo-Mid-Hi adjustment knobs.[/quote]

the back firing is more than likely due to the pair valve which is there to add fresh air to the exhaust so it will pass inspections. if your state has no inspections than do a "marble mod" here is a good one

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=10;t=23476

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
2) Traction: As far as Drag Racing goes, he has never raced them at the track. The 1340cc Busa is a big step up from his CBR929 so he gets a bit nervous when the front wheel comes up at Wide Open Throttle. What mods will help with overall traction, so getting off the line easier and keeping the wheel down. I know that an extended swing-arm will help, but which vendor sells them and which kit is best? What else do you guys install (besides a better rear tire)[/quote]

lower the back with lowering link and get a strap for the frt. the strap can stay on all the time but you DO HAVE TO LOOSEN ALL THE WAY WHEN NOT AT THE TRACK. it wont steer right when strapped dn. he can get swingarm ext., stickyer tire, and lower psi.

3) Other mods/bolt ons: What else can he use to make more power? Who makes a decent air filter, and is the performance difference noticeable? Are air-shifters fine for a 90% street bike? He would like to install a Turbo kit (kit utilizing a Mitsubishi 16g) but that seems out of his league..[/quote]

there are good streetable airshifters alot here have them and LOVE EM', BMC is a good filter, airbox mod. (do a search and youll get alot of info on that), change sprocket in back going up 1 or 2 teeth. I would leave the frt. sprocket alone

tell him to take the USB PC off and get back to us, run the busa with out the PC, and report back his findings, strap down the front, slam it down and strech 4-6 inches, get a clutch mod to start, here is a great kit for starters into drag racing:
DRAG STARTER KIT

4) Nitrous: Right now, since I told him a Turbo is out of the question, he is looking into spray for the power adder.  What do you guys think, Dry or wet kit, and how much is too much (ie 35,50 or 75 shot)?  He would only run the spray with 100% mixture of 100-110 octane in the tank.  How do you guys run your spray setups?  Please explain as far as WOT switches, bottle placements, race gas/pump gas and what gear you spray in.  BTW, he is looking to do this as sleeper as possible.[/quote]

I don't have turbo or NOS so I am very limited here. but a dry is cheaper and easier. IMHO 35 shot is all I'd do. You could go more but I wouldn't.  YES turbo would not be a good idea. just watch some youtube vids. of turbo busas. dont let him though or he will really want one
beerchug.gif
ooo and I'd get a progressive controller for the NOS. and you can hide the tank in the hump..but some say there is less room now so bottle size may be an issue.

i got a great swingarm from Canadian Mike (forum sponsor) and although we have run into a few issues with the 08' version, he has fixed everything and we are only days away from working out the last few bugs (caliper hanger primarily)... he is the best business person I have worked with, which is why I decided to keep the arm and work with him on making sure it is 100%.... I would buy an arm from him again any day. Feel free to have him PM me with arm questions... i've learned a lot.

Thanks a lot for the valuable info guys!

I'm sorry for the noob responses, but like I said, I'm a bit new to Bike (not the scene just mechanically) and I would like some help understanding these mods

- Straps and links. I was recommended both, and I've heard of both, but am not familiar with their purpose. Lowering links for the rear and a strap for the front, sounds good to me :-)

- Sprockets: You said to change the sprocket, going up 1 or 2 teeth. Please explain the purpose and function, and why I would want to 'go up' teeth?

----------------

Other things:

- Disconnecting PC: I have heard the '08s can function without the PC and an exhaust, but whats the difference? He already has it installed, and I assume it will only allow room for improvement later on when we dip into tuning. Is there a benefit to leaving it unhooked? My friends '07 GSXR600 with Yoshi has an untuned PC btw, Im guessing thats not as safe

- Backfires. If it is not dangerous (and just sounds emissions related) then I will leave it as is. It may be the ricer in me, but I like the backfires, makes the bike look and sound evil under Decell, free rev and WOT shifts
smile.gif

- Extended swingarm: Is there only one kit on the market right now for an '08? If so, we will gladly wait for the revised unit to come out, I dont really wanna hack up a brand new bike! How much would it roughly cost and is it well worth it? I'll be PMing you for more details Iowadiver

- Air shifters: Who makes a unit for the 2008 Busa?

Thanks again everybody, looking forward to these answers!

- Josh

- Sprockets:  You said to change the sprocket, going up 1 or 2 teeth.  Please explain the purpose and function, and why I would want to 'go up' teeth?[/quote]

going up teeth means swopping out the sprocket (rear in this case) gives you more torque, just like on a 10 speed bike. You will loose some top end speed but is worth the extra speed. at the strip it is a must. you wont go 190 mph in a 1/4 anyway. the oem is 40tooth mine is 43 but 42 is also pretty common. my .02 is go with a 43 tooth

side note: changing the sprocket will throw off speedo. will register ie.45 instead of 35. A speedohealer will correct it (99.95)

- Backfires. If it is not dangerous (and just sounds emissions related) then I will leave it as is. It may be the ricer in me, but I like the backfires, makes the bike look and sound evil under Decell, free rev and WOT shifts [/quote]

no it is harmless. I liked it too but got tired of it after awile.

- Disconnecting PC: I have heard the '08s can function without the PC and an exhaust, but whats the difference? He already has it installed, and I assume it will only allow room for improvement later on when we dip into tuning. Is there a benefit to leaving it unhooked? My friends '07 GSXR600 with Yoshi has an untuned PC btw, Im guessing thats not as safe[/quote]

oo boy... that is a debate these days..people say it is fine w/o pc due to its self mapping feature, but NOBODY yet has said pc is not good for it. YOU ALREADY GOT IT so sweeet you ain't got to worry. the rest of your statement seems on. leave the pc on as long as its tuned good or you can foul out plugs w/ too rich mix

- Extended swingarm: Is there only one kit on the market right now for an '08? If so, we will gladly wait for the revised unit to come out, I dont really wanna hack up a brand new bike! How much would it roughly cost and is it well worth it? I'll be PMing you for more details Iowadiver[/quote]

you can get swing arm extensions that just bolt on to your existing swingarm to go +4" up to 9" over stock. alot of guys use these at the track. NO NOT AS STRONG OR GOOD AS A FULL SWINGARM but will work very good till you go that way. (150.00-250.00) i think?

Cool, thanks again for the info.

Well, my buddy is a top speed junky, but I would be much happier with him hitting low 9's on the track, then trying to top 200mph on the street! So +1 on the rear sprocket.

I think he would want a completely new extended swingarm rather than a bolt on, but we'll see I'll ask. The bike should be way less dangerous with the extension, considering it won't lift everytime he gets on the throttle!

Can you please explain the straps and links to me please. When I told him about the straps he said it had to with holding the forks down or something, sorry for the noob Q's.

Can't wait to get this bike on the track!

- Josh

A PC is a great tool if it is optimized properly, u cant just throw it on and expect it to work its magic, a couple of major factors: the map you have uploaded? and it all comes to the TUNER who has dynoed the bike to see that the map is optimized, Todays dynos can tune and map the bike by itself but requires like 2-3 hours of hard pulls and heat cycles and goes through every 250-500 rpm increments and maintaining the 14.1 A/f ratio. The straps and links aid the bike from maintaining a lower centre of gravity and will aid the rider in not flippping the bike over on his head, it assist in keeping the front wheel on the ground.

In the end it will be your rider friend who is in control and will determine if he can make the bike go fast! he sounds like an enthusiastic guy, but perhaps before he starts adding more power, he should slam and lower the bike and run it stock motor 1st. see if he can handle that, before he adds more power and can get in a world of hurt, even the pros and regular racers here just didnt go out with the fastest bike, they worked up to it. A stock Busa slammed is already in the 9's, start there
thumb_up.gif
, work on 60ft times because IMO this is where the race is won or lost in the 60ft times. my .02 cents, i want my change
lurk.gif

Back