Why the ZX14 feels "faster" for 08

Jza

Registered
This months "Bike" magazine has a VERY interesting article in it about how manufacturers are paying more attention to the "part throttle" mapping of bikes rather than tuning only at full throttle.

The article shows the ZZR1400 (sorry guys i know its the ZX14 to you lot) with dyno runs at full throttle and 40% throttle for a 2006 and 2008 model....

Guess why its now "faster"
smile.gif

They have re-mapped the bike so that at 40% throttle there is a MASSIVE amount more grunt on tap up to 6000 rpm than the 2006 model. Hence the "its feels faster" comments.

The maps are practically identical on full throttle.

So... it "feels faster" than it actually is... just down to clever mapping giving real world benefits. Remember the comments about "needing to ride it like a 600" when it first came out... thats why ;)

We dont drive around all the time on full throttle - so hats off to Kawasaki for making the bike more driveable.

It goes on to show the GSXR1000 - the K5 model was an animal as at the 10 - 40% throttle postition it threw out a big chunk of power - more than the average rider could cope with hence the "spit you off in the corners" stories. For the K7 model all they did was greatly reduce the 10 - 40% throttle mapping (20~30 lbs less grunt). The peak power at full throttle is pretty much the same. So it no longer scares you mid corner.

Clever stuff.

'Busa still rocks either way
smile.gif

Jza

smile.gif

ALL bike magazines favor some company ,NOW which one is the favored one all depends on how much the magazine pockets!!! Kawa pays they will make the kawa look best and the list goes on

I don't believe that designers map for anything less than the highest level of performance at any rpm. What I know is that throttles are cammed in such a way that is not linier from 0 to 100% opening. That means half rotation of throttle is seldom 50% open. This is done to make rider input easier to manage. Mapping is independent of the mechanics of the throttle.

Hi People,

I subscrive this Magazine, and I think in fact is a very real article. I,m going to pick-up my 08 orang/Black Busa next week, and in the test drive I felt that diference, between A mode and B mode....also my ZX14 06 had very few HP until 5500 RPM...okay but I love the top end of the bike...now they change it for...almost a Busa Map...I prefer the previus model....

But now the Busa has it all, low, mid and a nice top end rush...
beerchug.gif

The zx14 is slower than a Busa but faster where it counts, it's hard to believe, because the diference in handling of these two bikes is huge (Busa...alot better).

Regards,

I had a zx14 07 with pc, sec. flies out and -1 front and slipons.
I also tested the zx 14 08 stock: the zx 14 08 has less topend then my zx 07 with stock gearing and the low is still weak (but better then stock 07).
My busa 08 stock is stronger than my modded zx14 07(even with -1 on the front)
The ergonomics and the looks of the zx are imo better and the suspension is more comfortable...but my busa rocks !

Back