Problems with my Fairing!!!!!

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
I been out here for two hours trying to get the stupid right side fairing off so I can change the oil. Ive got all the bolts out and all the pins out except for the one hook right below the gas tank that is nearly impossible to get to. I can't get it out for the life of me. Now im pissed because I was getting careless and I looked down and noticed I chewed up part of my fairing at the gas tank trying to get that stupid thing out. Nothing bad but enough that im ready to start throwing things!

Whats the secret to getting it out??? Now im out of time and have to go to work. Why did Suzuki make it so damn difficult to do this? This is just ridiculous! Deep breath...in out....in out...
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

You could do what I do and that is, prop the side fairing away from the motor on the right side about 10" or so with a piece of wood or whatever and you can reach the filter and bolt with no problem.  I've NEVER taken the right side fairing off to do an oil change. You might want to run a strip of tape along the edge of the fairing pieces where the side part fits into the nose section. Prevents any scratching.

You could do what I do and that is, prop the side fairing away from the motor on the right side about 10" or so with a piece of wood or whatever and you can reach the filter and bolt with no problem. I've NEVER taken the right side fairing off to do an oil change. You might want to run a strip of tape along the edge of the fairing pieces where the side part fits into the nose section. Prevents any scratching.
hmmm that sounds interesting. But im not sure what you mean by "prop the side fairing away from the motor on the right side about 10" or so with a piece of wood or whatever and you can reach the filter and bolt with no problem." Can you elaborate? If I could do it with out taking off the fairing that would be ideal.
please.gif

All I do is loosen the side fairing by removing nearly all the plastic and metal rivets along the bottom edges and where it meets the nose piece. Then it just pulls away from the motor about a foot or so and allows me to prop it away with a short piece of wood I had laying around. I do this while on front and rear stands so reaching underneath isn't a problem. Good luck!

I do it this way to now that the first factory oil filter is off. Had to use a filter wrench to remove it. Now only hand tight, easy to get off.
thumb_up.gif

ah, ok cool thanks for the tip! I will defiantly be giving that a try when I get back home from work tonight around midnight.
thumb_up.gif

I do it this way to now that the first factory oil filter is off. Had to use a filter wrench to remove it. Now only hand tight, easy to get off.  
thumb_up.gif
Might want to reconsider that, bro.

My manual says two full turns after the gasket makes contact with the seat. This is serious tight, and it needs to be.

I been out here for two hours trying to get the stupid right side fairing off so I can change the oil.  Ive got all the bolts out and all the pins out except for the one hook right below the gas tank that is nearly impossible to get to.  I can't get it out for the life of me.  Now im pissed because I was getting careless and I looked down and noticed I chewed up part of my fairing at the gas tank trying to get that stupid thing out.  Nothing bad but enough that im ready to start throwing things!

Whats the secret to getting it out???  Now im out of time and have to go to work.  Why did Suzuki make it so damn difficult to do this?  This is just ridiculous!  Deep breath...in out....in out...
banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif
Changing oil on a Busa sucks period. They have some of the worst designs in fairings to work on I've ever experienced. Thats why I run syn oil and stretch my oil changes out. The more you pull those ridiculous fairings off the more damage is done, unless you go about it like a surgeon and tape off all the edges
wowold.gif
thumb_down.gif
sad.gif
Just don't rush it or you'll make it worse
winkold.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

thumb_up.gif

My manual says two full turns after the gasket makes contact with the seat.  This is serious tight, and it needs to be.
Bro, been doing it this way for over 25 years and to many bikes to count and never had a problem. My hand tight my be different from yours.
laugh.gif

I been out here for two hours trying to get the stupid right side fairing off so I can change the oil.  Ive got all the bolts out and all the pins out except for the one hook right below the gas tank that is nearly impossible to get to.
Lift the fairing slightly UP, not out to pull this pin out.

DSC09460__Large_.JPG

Just lift it up and it came right out? You didnt have to try and pry it with a flat head screw driver?

Thats the one im having trouble with. I have been trying to pry it out this whole time. All I had to do is lift? Its THAT simple? God I feel like a complete dumb ass if thats the case. Thanks for the info!

thumb_up.gif

My manual says two full turns after the gasket makes contact with the seat.  This is serious tight, and it needs to be.
Bro, been doing it this way for over 25 years and to many bikes to count and never had a problem. My hand tight my be different from yours.  
laugh.gif
But is still not a good advise for rookies like my to only hand tight
corner2.png

Yup, I prefer the frankenstein bolts any day. All the stupid hidden clips and snaps, soo easy to break....

Back