Anyone who had a Gen 1 NOT LOVE the Gen 2

Jza

Registered
Was at local bike meet yesterday....

Guy on tricked up Gen1 came up and asked me if it was worth the trade in...

I was obviously clueless... its my first 'Busa

What do you guy reckon i should say... trade in or not. Anyone wish they didnt bother and if so why?

I'm bound to get asked again - bike gets lots of attention
biggrin.gif

hello.gif

Jza

Not speaking as an owner of a Gen II, but as a Gen I owner, I spent a lot of money to get my '06 to put out 170hp and 101lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel. The Gen II does it stock along with better brakes, suspension, much better fit and finish, updated gauges, and a fresh look. There is a lot to be said for the Gen II, but on the other side of that coin, the Gen I is an icon in the world of motorcycling. If a guy can find someone to pay what a Gen I is actually worth, not the drastically reduced, insulting prices that dealers offer, than go for it. Whatever floats your boat, all motorcycles are great, and most of the people who ride them are good people.
thumb_up.gif

Not speaking as an owner of a Gen II, but as a Gen I owner, I spent a lot of money to get my '06 to put out 170hp and 101lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel.  The Gen II does it stock along with better brakes, suspension, much better fit and finish, updated gauges, and a fresh look.  There is a lot to be said for the Gen II, but on the other side of that coin, the Gen I is an icon in the world of motorcycling.  If a guy can find someone to pay what a Gen I is actually worth, not the drastically reduced, insulting prices that dealers offer, than go for it.  Whatever floats your boat, all motorcycles are great, and most of the people who ride them are good people.  
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

I'm ready to buy a Gen II, but I'm not going to let my '05 go cheap. I'd rather have 2
smile.gif

thumb_up.gif

i had the GEN1 and now i have the GEN2 loved GEN1 and loving my GEN2 both are GREATTTTTTTTTTTTT bikes!!
of course the GEN2 is overall a better bike,dont forget it has been 9 years since the gen1 was first released and still a top bike today

I've owned both. Had 2 '99s and IMO the '08 is a much improved and superior motorcycle. The stock exhaust system had to go however.

I've had a 01 & 03 Gen-I and there is no comparison. The Gen-II rocks!
thumb_up.gif

I don't like the mode selector but the rest is great. I hate the factory exhaust but that is always one of the first mods, so no big deal. Everything else is worth it, not to mention the money I saved if I upgraded a 07...
beerchug.gif

My Gen1 with SS lines, HH pads and waverotors stops good enough for me.

Yeah, when I traded my quads in, I opted for the leftover 07 they had, over the 08.

The new rear is just hideous to me. One of the worst tail designs I've ever seen.

Not speaking as an owner of a Gen II, but as a Gen I owner, I spent a lot of money to get my '06 to put out 170hp and 101lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel.  The Gen II does it stock along with better brakes, suspension, much better fit and finish, updated gauges, and a fresh look.
+1 It took quite a bit of money and time to get my Gen I to make more power than a stock 08 with just a PC and new can. As far as looks, I didn't like the tail at first but now it's really growing on me. Throw an undertail and a new can on it and it looks great.

Bottom line is I REALLY like the new 08's, but I was too far down the road of mods with my 06 to trade it in.

I found the solution for all of the braking, handling, tailsection, pipe, gauge, and transmission mods...

DSC00844.JPG

Just kidding! Don't everybody have a cow, just playin!
beerchug.gif

ain`t crazy about the tail and mufflers but if you change the exhaust and cut that thing off hanging under the tail i think i could live with it..
dunno.gif

Suzuki was crazy making those massively ginormous K8 bazooka mufflers.

Crazy like a fox.  
laugh.gif

The mufflers are huge because of the complex engineering involved to allow Suzuki to meet CARB 2008/Euro 3 emission specs. Suzuki knows full well that a significant percentage of their customer does 2 things upon taking delivery of the bike: replace the exhaust line, and chop off the rear fender.

So who really gives a flying rip what the tail & mufflers look like coming outta the crate; it's not like it's going to stay that way for very long.

So let them make a 50-lb exhaust system if it lets them legally sell the bike under today's brutal emissions standards. Replace it with a 13 or 14 pound full system, and you transform the looks while losing 37 pounds of dead weight. Score!  
cool.gif

Back