How did you or do u plan on breaking in your busa?

john74

Registered
Just debating with a few friends of mine and im wondering,what is the best way to break in your motor until the 1000mile mark?
Breaking it in as the manual says will it result in a loss of H.P?Does that mean that in time as you pile miles on the speedo you will never see a few extra ponys?
Im curious to see how everyone did there 08 BUSA break in?
give details

i did the 0-100km working up to 5000rpm
100-500km up to about 6500rpm
500-1000km up to 8500rpm
and 1000km until 1600(1000miles) until under the red line and maxing out at 300km a few times
i did the scheduled oil change of course,is this a decent way of breaking it in or should i have pushed the engine even more??
you guys who have dynoed your busas with 180-182 h.p was it with normal break in procedure or not?

I did mine by the book, still riding her after 30K
beerchug.gif

Never rode the Dyno, but it still kicks the arse out in 2nd and 3rd and I weigh close to 250 lbs. There's a number of break in options and one of them is on a dyno.

lower_003__Medium_.jpg

i'm doing my 08 by the book, infact i'v done all my new bikes that way and have never had a problem one. as far as dyno #'s i broke my 05 gsxr 1000 in just like the book said and @ 9000 miles i had a power commander, arrow slip-on, and dyno tune at olathe suzuki and they told me that was the strongest gixxer 1000 they had seen (164ish). Also i change my oil at 600 miles because YOU CAN change it to early and impede the break-in process. motorcyclist had a great article a few month ago about changing oil at break-in and also said change it at 600 miles and that most motorcyle engines are good and broke-in by 2000 miles so thats a good milage to switch to synthetic oil if thats what you run. keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine.

I think two things:

1--- The bikes are broken in at the factory.

2--- Suzuki and all the others wants us to take it EASY from the get go to protect them from law suits from idiots who buy a bike thay can't handle.

I also think, wait that three things, these bikes are bullet proof.

its all in the maintnance, they built a 190 mph busa that screams @ 11,000 rpms, you can beat on it all you want , its solid, the motor is bulet proof, just change the oil

I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM RIDEING BALLS OUT AFTER 20 MILES OR SO.I FEEL THE BREAKIN PERIOD IS FOR THE OPERATOR NOT THE BIKE.
cool.gif

Suzuki UK recommends ('cause i asked as there is loads of different info):

up to 600 miles - no more than 6000rpm - no full throttle

SERVICE

600 - 699 keep under 7000rpm - no full throttle
700 - 799 keep under 8000rpm - no full throttle
700 - 899 keep under 9000rpm - no full throttle
900 - 1000 keep under 10000rpm - no full throttle

1000+ Can use full throttle any revs you like its now run in.

Makes sense to me - its plenty fast running in
biggrin.gif

The guy i spoke to said that engines are indeed much tighter in terms of tolerances than 20 years ago, so its not AS important, but allowing the pistons to bed in is still important. He kinda didn't say that ragging it from day one was a problem.... just this is what they "recommend". They havent had issues if this process is followed.

He said that too low revs is worse than too high when breaking in aparently.

Hope that helps anyone non technical like me
smile.gif

Jza

This info came from Total Seal ring company here in Phoenix one time while getting rings for a small block chevy. they said that once the motors fire and run for a few minutes the rings seat almost immediately. This is due to the materials they make rings out of now. I don't know how true this is but thought I'd pass it on.

Back