Clutch and Brake lever rusting?

select20

Registered
Anyone else having a problem with this? I keep my bike in the garage. I never leave it outside and haven't yet had to ride in the rain. Just wondering if this is something thats happening with anyone else.

I have not seen any on my 08 and I'm in a similar part of the country. Where at on the levers?

Are you sure it's rust of did you just get a little tobaco juice on it?

Well, no, not tobacco, don't chew hehe. Well, the shiny is turning a brownish color, can't wipe it off. Looks like rust to me. Its where the lever meets the lines.

Levers should be aluminum.... no rust

Put a magnet on them, if it sticks then not aluminum.

Got pictures sounds more like grease or chemical discolorment.

Yeah, pictures would help....

My first thought is that there is a pinch of grease from the pivot bolt area has somehow managed to migrate outward onto your lever, and had a chemical reaction to the aluminum and has stained it.

Post up a photo and let's have a look....
cool.gif

Certainly looks like rust to me! The adjustmant knob is steel, so is a couple of other pieces it looks like. Maybe spray some WD-40 on it

I got that too....

FYI the discs on my bike rust really bad between rides... and they seize on the pads.

The dealer had the bike in for a service, and they stuck solid whilst he had the bike on the jig... he's actually sent some sort of "this is sh1te" memo to the Suzuki UK.

Seems the whole bikes a rust bucket!!!
biggrin.gif

I got that too, but I ride whether it's raining or not.It's kinda sad, she gets maintained well but I'm not a big detailer/polisher, I put a good base of wax on her then rinse every few weeks, I do dry her down though.

a bit like this  
wowold.gif
Are you using some sort of de-greaser to clean your bike? As a technician, I have seen similar "mystery" rust in unbelievable places on other bikes in the past. I have found that some de-greasers can leach away lubricants a little too well, and can cause rust. Some hard-alkaline, or acidic de-greasers will cause etching on both ferrous, and non ferrous metals. The absolute worst case of "mystery" rust I have ever encountered turned out to be caused by a cycle owner using a steam cleaning pressure washer.

a bit like this  
wowold.gif
Are you using some sort of de-greaser to clean your bike? As a technician, I have seen similar "mystery" rust in unbelievable places on other bikes in the past. I have found that some de-greasers can leach away lubricants a little too well, and can cause rust. Some hard-alkaline, or acidic de-greasers will cause etching on both ferrous, and non ferrous metals. The absolute worst case of "mystery" rust I have ever encountered turned out to be caused by a cycle owner using a steam cleaning pressure washer.
+1

I see evidence of corrosion on at least three parts in your photo.... The Clutch Cable end, the Clutch Lever Bolt Head, and probably coming from the Adjustment Bolt. Looks like your bike has been stored either outside or in a sea air environment! It will continue if left untreated to erode the parts away. About the best way to eliminate this condition at this point is to lightly abrade the suspect parts and refinish them! A good coating of paint for the bolt head and a non-aerosol grease for the other parts should slow the attack.

i have seen simple green or greased lightning do that too peoples bike that may or may not detail the bike... might as well upgrade to pazzo's i just did and i like them plus they are black...

i have seen simple green or greased lightning do that too peoples bike that may or may not detail the bike... might as well upgrade to pazzo's i just did and i like them plus they are black...
+1 on degreaser type cleaners... They can and will cause metals to corrode including aluminum.

Back