Time to make my decision (Busa or ZX-14)

tonmarchelli

Registered
Well, after months of research on both motorcycles I am still torn between the two. I probably know these bikes better than the dealer I will buy them from.

I like the busa because it is a little closer to a "sportbike" than the zx-14. it has more power, better handling/suspension, and a great motor. but i have heard the brakes are described as "wooden" (can be easily fixed with pads and lines), there is the busa buzz that appears to happen, and the thing weighs a crapton. for me , the S-DMS system i count to as a negative because it is completely useless to me. i will never ever use it.

The zx-14 has been touted by many to have better brakes, a better clutch/tranny, much more comfortable (both for the rider and a passenger) and is smooth as silk. drawbacks to the zx-14 is that it is a little down on power, not quite as competent in the corners, gas mileage is down a bit, and the stock tires suck. The extra stuff that Kawi uses like the dash display that shows instant/average fuel economy, and range, and the gas/temp gauges are integrated into the display.

I'm just torn between the two. the wife and I are going out on wed to do our final look of the two bikes before I decide. I have not mentioned looks for comparison reason because looks are completely subjective. there are things that i like and dont like about each bike that I wish I could change.

So for those of you with busa's. can you chime in with any of the accolades the busa has that may have been missed. or potential problems. and the select few of you that i have seen that have been lucky enough to either ride or own both bikes. what is your real world impression of the two.

thanks for the input guys.

Go sit on both. Pick the one that's most comfortable for you, and that you like the looks of best. They're both great bikes.

What's to decide
rock.gif

I think 99% of the "brakes" stories are pretty much crap myself... unless you ride the bike at 95% the brakes are more than adequate and just fine.. If you are part of the 5% group, you may want to consider a GSX1000 ahead of either bike.. it is built for that purpose.. If you want to build a busa to flog? then invest a few bucks in upgrades.

You're on a Busa board what do you think we will recommend? There are folks here who own or have ridden both and may post up, but ultimately the decision comes down to you and what is best for you. Only you can answer that question.

If you get the busa, you get a legend, not just another in a long line of bikes built specifically to catch the legend......and fail.

I ride both and the zx 14 is a nice bike. But with that said the 08 busa is a little faster and has a huge aftermarket performance and comfort mods. If I were to only own 1 it would be the BUSA.

My brother has a ZZR1400(abs) and i have the K8 busa i have to admit i love riding my bros ZZR1400 sweet bike,but to tell the truth the busa has a lot of those things that make your blood rush,it feels more powerfull everywhere,
Comfort,Brakes,engine ZZR +
Handling,suspension,fun factor,speed,LOOKS BUSA+

both are great bikes...good luck
fight.gif

Clipboard01.jpg

This is a Hayabusa board! The brakes are even with steel braided lines and HH brake pads. The 14 does look good in that silver color available for '08! The busa is a time tested platform with ungodly amounts of aftermarket parts available. The last reason is Hayabusa .oRg. That should be enough reason for anybody.

My son has the ZX-14, and we often trade bikes on longer rides. I like the 14--can't really find fault with it. Yes, the are handling differences between the two and engine responsiveness. I'm on my second 'busa (new orange/black) and didn't even consider the 14. Why? Well for me--I like owning the legend! The 'busa started this craze, and just upped the ante in '08. I wanted to be part of that! No logic here---just pure emotional rush!

I agree on the silver 14. Its the only color I like in it. I considered the 14 but the Busa to me seems to be a tad better in manyh areas. You add up all those tads and you have a big advantage. This is all subjective of course. The 14 is a nice bike but not for me. Busas also have better resale. GL trying to sell a 14 unless you give it away.

I bought an Orange and Black busa yesterday I weighed out the zx14 having past kawi's but the parts and products available for the hayabusa along with all the support of the org are second to none. besides I wanted a sport bike not a sport touring bike. just my 2cents

the only real benefit of the 14 other than comfort is that the 14 is easy to change the oil filter on unlike the f$#@!* fiasco suzuki came up with on the new busa, f-hidden fastners!!!!

HAYABUSA
cool.gif
thumb_up.gif

ZX14
rofl.gif
thumb_down.gif

OK, I had my fun.. I'm sure the 14 is a very nice bike, it is just not for me. The Busa has a quality and look about it (IMO) right from the first gen, and continues today with the second gen to be unsurpassed by any other bike, including my beloved Blackbird...(God I miss that bike...)
sad.gif
I don't think I will ever sell any of my bikes ever again.....
cursin.gif

I agree.  If a bike doesn't feel comfortable when you sit on it in the showroom, then it isn't the bike for you.  That's one of the best tests that I have found over the years when choosing a new bike.  
thumb_up.gif

'08 Busa purchased 12 FEB '08

Go sit on both.  Pick the one that's most comfortable for you, and that you like the looks of best.  They're both great bikes.

Back