08 computer

scotty - 12

Registered
So here I am being a good boy and reading my owners manual and its mostly same ole same ole until I get to the back and it says the computer records certain info. Uh oh. They can record engine speed and gear and throttle position and the info may be accessible by law enforcement? Well that sux! Kind of bothers me actually. Anyone else concerned about this?

YEP. BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO ? HOPE THE COPS DON'T READ THE OWNERS MANUAL
whistling.gif

where ya been, cars have done this for years.... i

You take your car in for warranty and they can tell a lot of things you would rather they did not know..

My '95 Porsche has the same capability. It stores all kinds of data that the dealer can access. If there is an issue with the engine, it's the first thing they look at.
sadnews.gif

You are absolutely right. The bike's pc will record almost everything and your entire bike can be seized when involved in a criminal investigation or serious motor vehicle accident. A search warrant/affidavit would be written for the pc information, then used against or for you in court. Collecting this information has become a routine investigative step. The bike's pc would have to be removed and probably mailed to Suzuki directly for analysis. Unless someone local had access to the Suzuki programs, such as a motor vehicle dealership.

Very interesting, what specifically does it record?
lurk.gif
Most cars use a "loop" and record everything over XX hours of run time. It also has the ability to record and store "Events" These events can trigger service lights, or warnings. The "loop" can record as little or as much as has been programed by the factory..

Possible items:

speed, throttle settings, engine load, wheel spin, engine parameters, transmission parameters (most transmissions are at least as computer tuned as the motors now days) turn signal status, brake status (abs activated, brakes active) Anything electrical can be monitored..

Technically they could tell if you saw someone crossing the street and reacted to it by hitting the gas or the brake or not at all.

They would know how fast you were going when you hit them and if you were turning the steering wheel, hitting the brakes or the car was hit (accelerometers). They will also know if you had your seatbelt on and how many people were in the car.

It is not pretty when you think about incursion into your private domain but it is a car on a public road. The courts can access this data with some work.. Airplanes, trains, big trucks, ships all have real time data logging for crash forensics... I think trains were some of the first??

I know cars have done it for years but I dont drive a car at 150 mph. Maybe power commander will make something to disable the computer?
ThumbsUp.gif

Yep -- insurance companies will pay the tow truck driver for sending them the computer if the person or persons can't say NO ---
In Saudi Arabia they have real time sensors on the faster roads- the car has a transmitter [mandatory] and the cops can see what you are doing as you drive.. now thats scary-- Us insurance companies would love to be able to do that here in the US --Thats a major AAARRRGGG
guns.gif

I've heard this story...

Do you see a hard disk next to the ECU? Is there a bank of memory chips? I dont think so LOL

As i seem to remember reading a Porsche engineer's quote said they record max revs and speed (but not each days use) so if you say "i never go to the redline on the track" when you take a blown engine to them they can say "what about when you went 170 on xx/yy/zzzz"... even then it could be fooled by a rolling road session.

Old wived tail ;) This aint 1984 (yet)

Jza

Back