Prepping for extended swingarm

Iowadiver

Registered
For those of you who have stretched your 08' or even other years, tell me what I'm forgetting before I rip into my bike and find out I don't have everything I need. Here is what I have thus far...

-10" over stock swingarm (canadian mike's... out to paint now)
-triple tree to lower front
-lowering links (adjustable)
-EK ZZZ 530 160 link gold chain (ordered)
-using new 07' busa rear brake caliper, rotor and custom caliper hanger by Mike
-tool for removing stock swing arm (specialized socket)
-chain tool (for installing master links)
-jack stands among other creative means to prop the bike up in the absence of swingarm
-waterproof axel grease

I need to get...

-new brake lines (longer) and brake fluid

I feel like i'm forgetting something really important....

An adjustable/short kick stand!!!
idea3.gif

good call on the kickstand... i remember thinking i needed to do that and I forgot all about it... I was planning on just taking the stock one to a welder when I have the bike apart and getting them to chop 1/4" off the bottom... anyone done this?

I have a shortened stock kickstand. I think they took like an inch out though. You need to do the work you want done, then measure how much you want the bike to lean, cut the stock stand off there, and re-weld the foot on. Good luck!

just tighten the spring up will work..I would buy a adjustable kickstand but the stock one can be welded..

chain guard??..

I would also add some gearing and a better rear tire shinko ultrasoft!!!

if possible, those of you whom have made suggestions, could you tell me why? I know there are a lot of other performance mods I "could" do, but where I'm sitting financially I just want to do what is necessary to make the bike safe, rideable, and completely functionable. I'm curious about the revalving.... not sure what that is. Also I imagine doing new gears is not totally necessary at this point neither is the billet cover.... but certainly something to think about for future projects. Any comments? Any info you guys have would be great!
-Matt

Revalving the rear shock.... The valving is what controls the "shock absorption"￾ when you hit the bumps. It keeps the spring from popping up the rear. You can adjust the compression and rebound stroke of the shock with the two adjustments. One on each end. The problem is the stock swingarm is about 22.5 inches from the wheel to the pivot. When you extend it to about 32.5 inches, the wheel has more of a mechanical advantage and it it harder for the shock to "control"￾ . Think of it as a see-saw at the playground. Put equal weight kids on each end. Now move one of them ½ way to the center ans see what happens. The problem is the stock shock does not have enough adjustment to accommodate these big changes.

Increasing the preload (tightening) on the spring does not work. It will simply rais the back end of the bike up.. you still have the same spring rate. Guys have the same problem with 6inches over. You will really complicate it with 10inches. Now once you put a heavier spring the valving of the shock is really inadequate. With 10inches over you are going to tear up the tail/undertail of the bike trying to run the stock stuff.

10inches is a bunch"¦"¦ If you want it safe, ridable, and reliable it is not as simple as bolting on a swingarm and longer chain.

Get the kickstand and chaingaurd . I didn't respring or re-valve my shock . And it has worked fine for 2 years now of everyday riding . I have rode it for almost 20,000 miles now and works greeat . I even had a passenger on the back ( Once ) . I don't recomend riding two up unless you do the shock , not that I had any problems but for safety reasons. You can do the kickstand mod thats pinned on the board here but get an adjustable if you can . If you cut your old one make sure youweld the foot back on or it will sink in the road when its hot out ! I'm extended 8" with the adjustables links on the rear I figure its about 3" lower in the rear but since the arm is so long it doesn't look like it . Also remember YOU WILL lose alot of turning radius and twistie riding abilities ! But it works fine for normal riding . Also great for doing rolling burnouts !

2.jpg

billit case protector protects yourengine case when and if you should snap a chain , i have never had a problem but have read tons of threads about it just a bit of insurance to protect yourself
beerchug.gif

If you lower an 08 and extend it that far, the wheel is going to hit the tail light!

If i were to do a new spring and revalve the shock, what all would be involved? any price estimates? I figure if I've got it all apart, I may as well do the work then. To be honest I don't plan on racing the bike, or if so, nothing drastic, so mostly it is for cosmetic appearance (roll your eyes if you must) The arm I have is 4-10 over... I planned to go 10 over because I wanted to REALLY stretch it out, but if I run into problems or don't like the way it handles, I can always shorten it but cutting out some links... I'd rather try it long before cutting it down.

-Matt

Back