Do your own 1st oil change?

Ranger

Registered
I'm coming up on my 1st oil change. Does any on know what they do at the dealer for the 600 mile maintenance. I serviced my 05 myself and never had problems but was wondering if the 1st service should be done by the stealership. The said it would be around $120 and that was w/ the discount since I bought it there!
wowold.gif

They change your oil, adjust your chain, check torque on the bolts so they say, and they take your money. Do it yourself and keep the receipts.

I'm coming up on my 1st oil change.
Do it yourself. No question. No one's going to take care of your baby like YOU are going to!

The only real challenge is removing the right side fairing for the first time (after that, it's routine). But the first time you want to go slow and methodical so you don't snap off tabs, break push-clips, etc. I'll bet the typical pimply-face 19-year-old dealer "technician" isn't going to take it slow and easy.

Here's how it's done: Removing Right Side Cowl for Oil Changes

Do the job yourself and rest easy knowing it's done right. Too, working on your Busa helps you become "One with your Machine". Just keep all receipts, and you're golden.
thumb_up.gif

my dealership changed mine... 70 ish dollars for the first timer.. i trust him more than me on a first time...

the plus is .. that the "tech" is not a pimply faced 19yr old.. but an 08 busa owner himself and a straight up guy..

but I'm in Dallas tx

I let the dealer do mine and it was 65 bucks. They did go over the bike so i thought is was worth it. I will do my own from now own. Its like someone elce said No one will take care of it like you do. Good luck, Doug

My_Hayabusa_001.jpg

Do it yourself...keep receipts, take care of your Busa like no one else would and save the $$$
cool.gif

So I tried to do my own first oil change, ruined the threads in the pan went to tourque to 23Nm, it is what I had on the wrench, aluminum is pretty soft and I went right through it.

Anyone else?
What did you do?

Current options are:
1) Tap it
2) Replace the pan myself
3) Get it to the dealer to have them replace the pan

Yes, I know this was a costly error.

Sorry you did that buddy. That sucks. I did my own, but I'm in tight with the dealer and get my items ummm....cheaper. And he keeps all my records of purchase on file. But get a dealer to fix your pan issue. I wouldn't mess with that one.

Don't you invalidate the warranty by working on it yourself?

That's def the case in Europe anyway - keeps the stealers in business
banghead.gif

I always take mine in. Disposing of oil and filters is such a hassle plus the keep a record of anything they do and at what mileage.
I take all of my vehicles to shops.

So I tried to do my own first oil change, ruined the threads in the pan went to tourque to 23Nm, it is what I had on the wrench, aluminum is pretty soft and I went right through it.  

Anyone else?  
What did you do?

Current options are:
1) Tap it
3) Get it to the dealer to have them  replace the pan

Get yourself an oversize replacement plug and lay off the spinach....

No problem lots of folks have done jus this.

Anyone else?  
What did you do?

Current options are:
1) Tap it

There must be something wrong with your Torque wrench, 23nm=17ft/lbs. It probably took more torque than that to remove the bolt in the first place.

Anyone else?  
What did you do?

Current options are:
1) Tap it

There must be something wrong with your Torque wrench, 23nm=17ft/lbs. It probably took more torque than that to remove the bolt in the first place.
+1 I tighten mine by feel.

So since this happened, I've spoken to a bunch of folks regarding tourque wrenchs and the fact that if you leave them set to a high tension they will become uncalibrated.

Back