'08 Break in

valkyriemc

Donating Member
Registered
Can a new (lucky)owner relate what the breakin in for the new model? I'm considering riding my bike home when I pick it up. But I'm leaning towards trailering it home on I95 here in Florida so it is not run hard, prior to break in. TIA

there are different methods , my theory is drive it like you stole it , take it easy for the firts 50 miles constantly shifting gears , never letting the rpm stay the same for 2 long . then let it rip ! when suzuki lined up 30 bikes for the test run did it look like they were worried about break in periods ? if you are going to go by the book , it is going to be a long 600 miles ! better get started on the way home from the dealer .

I was told to keep below 5000 rpm (manual says 5500 rpm) for the first 600 miles.... keep working the throttle but not fully cracking it. Avoid letting the bike chug in too high a gear.

Think thats the same advise from most manufacturers

Jza

I am a former tech. And I mean I was this summer. Beat that thing like it owes you $50k.

I bought my 08 from the place I used to work. I made the deal and then went to get my Gixxer to trade in. By the time I got back the guys I trust to ride my bike had already beat the snot out of it. 20 miles worth. And I haven't done it any favors since then.
super.gif

1.jpg

never exceeded 7500rpm first 100 miles.changed oil.then every 5-10 miles add another 1000 rpms until redline.change oil at 250.run the hell out of it.

Find a bike dyno, and use it for the break in. It's a controlled environment that will allow for proper speed and heat cycling.

With a dyno break in and dyno run I had a whopping 26 miles on the odo. The oil and filter were changed before it hit the street. I've even flogged it a few times since I put it on the street and it's doing fine.

2 to 3 heat cycles first 30 miles with no more than 7000 rpms. Then let her rip. change oil at 100 and then 500 and at 1500 go to a 10-40 synthetic. THEN HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

drove mine home from the dealer , easy ride, maybe 30 miles or so did anther 70 miles street riding and then to the track
race.gif
wowold.gif
made 5 hard full passes,
jump9.gif

dyno time at 180miles ,i got the pipe and did a base line avg out of three pulls, then dropped the oil and filter added the pipe , did a pull
laugh.gif
, then add the pc and did two pulls ,

thats it the factory does the 1st heat cycles so i dont worrie about it , regular program i'd say with an oil/filter early on enjoy 194.4 rwhp with the alien and pc

Re <<at 1500 go to a 10-40 synthetic>>

Doesn't full synthetic cause clutch slip? My dealer recommends top quality mineral or semi-synthetic! Also they say 'if you must use synthetic you should put in about 5000 miles first as it stops the running in process completely'.
Eagle

NO clutch slippage wont start until about 250hp. Once your rings are seated{they seat quickly} synthetic protects your bike so much bettor.

So the consensus is to ignore the manual and what the dealer recommends LOL

I'll get my slippers
smile.gif

So the consensus is to ignore the manual and what the dealer recommends LOL

I'll get my slippers
smile.gif
I would certainly ignore that dealer! Save your slippers for him. He's telling you your bike is not fully broke in till 5000 miles
rock.gif
Sorry he's wrong. Call BROCKS or LEES ask them about breaking in a motor for more hp and RELIABILITY. These guys are two of the best engine builders in the business. The manual tells you to do this for safety and warrenty claims. Trust me my last 2 busa's were run slow for 25-50 miles with 3-4 heat cycles then I started loading my engine gradually, changed oil at 100 miles and changed again at 500 miles.{90% of your new engine shavings occure in the first 100 miles don't let them circulate to long.} Also vary your engine speed often during those first 250 miles. Hammer hard on your bike after 500 miles to really seat those rings. By 1000 miles your bike is ready for synthetic oil. It will run cooler,quiter,shift bettor,1-3 more hp,etc. The only negitive is the cost. Now go break your beast in and enjoy riding the strongest,fastest,best allround bike in the world.

Re <<at 1500 go to a 10-40 synthetic>>

Doesn't full synthetic cause clutch slip? My dealer recommends top quality mineral or semi-synthetic! Also they say 'if you must use synthetic you should put in about 5000 miles first as it stops the running in process completely'.
Eagle
there is allegedly a different additive package for motorcycles with wet clutches. I run the Mobile1 synthetic 4T 10-40 Racing oil for motorcycles. I put it in after I had about 3K on the bike.

True or not? beats me but I am not second guessing the engineers on my $10,000 motorcycle I run the bike blend..

WOW! So many different opinions,just ride it like ya rode your last one! Change your oil 50-100mi ,then again around 500mi.At least thats what I'm gonna do in the spring when mine comes in. No matter how ya break it in are ya really gonna notice the difference anyway!

20 years ago it did make a difference.. The changes came around (with cars) with the advent of "Chromoly" rings.

Old honing techniques were far to coarse for them and they wore out in the first 100 miles.

They found that the rings required a much finer hone (almost a polish) on the cylinder walls. Rings seated in 2 or 3 dyno pulls and you done. (any bike engine builders want to chime in? sort of out of my realm)

With all the debate I see here, the lack of any engine problems on any of them, my guess is the rings are likely seated at the factory during a simple engine check.

IF I was selling you a bike like the busa, do you think for one minute I am going to tell you to go out there and "Ride it like you stole it"

Not to offend any of the above posters but that is just about the dumbest a$$ thing I have ever read...

Hey dopey, jump on this 200Mph bike and go kill yourself.... (much better wording IMO)

Can you even imagine the lawsuits that would fly now days if a bike maker told you to go out and hammer your new bike and you stack it up? yea right....

Let the thing warm up a bit before you ride it, ride it normally and do oil changes at 600 and 1500 miles.. (make sure you replace the oil filter) As you get comfy with the bike, ride it harder.. But please keep in shiny side up...

My view is, if all of Suzuki's engineers and developers came up with a break in process for a bike they created, thats what I'm going to follow. With all the Ben Franks I shelled out for this beast, its by the book for me. But thats just me...
ThumbsUp.gif

Back