BAD NEWS!!!:My Busa fell off its kickstand!!!

murphc13

Registered
Hi all,i had a nice spin the other day...going about my business and enjoying the ride.
When i got home i dismounted the bike to open the gate to the house.Before i get the chance to turn around i hear BANG!!!!
I turn around in disbelief and see my baby laying there....i CANNOT BELIEVE IT.This never happened to any bike of mine EVER.
The sidestand was down and somehow she managed to unfold itself and hit the deck!!!.
Leftside mid fairing,front cowl.left barend,hero blob from the left footpeg and clutch lever all damaged or broken.
I remember reading somewhere about the sidestand on these bikes being a little "IFFY".
Have any of you guys any stories to report and if the warranty may cover this?

There is a kickstand mod you can do, but your warranty
will not cover the damage. The mod helps, but kickstand
tip overs are "operator error" sorry brother.

He speaks the truth^^^

Hope you got full coverage :banghead:

When I bought my busa that's 1 of the 1st mods I did to my bike after reading about the horror stories. Too bad you didn't come across the kickstand mod thread soooner

When you get ready to get off the busa, let it roll forward until all the slack is out of the driveline before you put the kickstand down. If the bike can't roll, it will not fall over.

Man I have so been here myself once. The sound of the crunch was sickening. Mine ended up at over 4K in damages. Fortunately I had no claims, no tickets and no previous anythings. Allstate paid for it all but actually tried to claim total for about 3 weeks. I had to fight over that but it all worked out in the end.

I feel your pain man. It was horrible.

Thanks for the replies.Not sure i want to go down the route of claiming from the insurance company.This will NEVER happen again:)

Thanks for the replies.Not sure i want to go down the route of claiming from the insurance company.This will NEVER happen again:)

Depends on the cost to fix.

If you replaced everything that was broken or scratched it could probably cost into the thousands.
Since you didn't post pictures I can't be sure - But I have heard before that the average tip over costs around $3000.

I agree with everyone about the kick stand mod. I did that, and this spring I even did a little more so the chance of it folding up are pretty slim.

A painful lesson for sure but like you said it will never happen again. Now did you hear about the guy who had his father-in-law move his bike and dropped it? :banghead:
So just remember that NOTHING is impossible and never say never unless you are talking about the past - like I have never been to the moon. :laugh:

Been there done that...you'll be into 3k plus if you put it back using factory parts.

Admittedly the cost of repair was higher than I expected. But as an example, I had a minor scratch on my left exhaust can. That by itself was like $700 or so, as a new replacement OEM part. So it doesn't take much if the insurance Co. uses the replace with new parts. Which mine does. This is also what drives the price up to total territory. A little scratch doesn't need to be a $700 fix.

And of my total amount it was like $800 labor. I did the repairs myself. The most expensive was my Gen 1 plastics. No way top match the paint and I didn't want to chnage colors, so it was OEM replacement plastics. That was about 2300 if I recall correctly.

When you get ready to get off the busa, let it roll forward until all the slack is out of the driveline before you put the kickstand down. If the bike can't roll, it will not fall over.

what he said:rulez:
having said that had my old gs500 roll off and pin me against my porch railing. only damage was to my pride. im sure you can score some parts on here.

When i got home i dismounted the bike to open the gate to the house.

So, what the issue really is - get a remote gate opener, right? :rofl:

That way you wouldn't have gotten off the bike and it wouldn't have tipped over, right? :laugh:

We all make mistakes.

Please show us pictures of the damage.
I would call your insurance agent - even if you don't make a claim.

I talked with mine and mine is covered even if it fell over in the garage.
It cost me $8 more a year to reduce my deductible by ½ so I did the change.

Heres the pics guys
mwyv08.jpg

15q9mbq.jpg

294qute.jpg

11qmi6g.jpg

54ylgi.jpg

33lo1vq.jpg

2zqd650.jpg

Im sick to the core looking at my bike guys.
I just want to get rid of it and i hate saying it but we all know if our pride and joy is tarnished we lose interest v fast.
I may let the insurance company know just for record.All in i think i could get the lot replaced for under €1000,thats euro.
Worst part for me is the left side Akra can.Is it possible to get a replacement?
What would you guys do here?Im considering changing the paint.We have a guy locally and hes extremely good at paint work.He did my old 99 busa as well as rr8 cbr1000rr.But "custom painting" a bike can have implications when selling on so im not sure.
What do you guys think?

It happens to a lot of us.

I did not do the kick stand mod, but rather the dismount practice: :laugh:

1.) Put in first gear.
2.) Kill switch.
3.) Push bike forward as far as in gear allows.
4.) Pull front brake.
5.) Kick stand down, release brake.
6.) Left foot right behind kick stand and dismount.

I have a Husqvarna, with a kick stand about two times worse than the Busa.

PS. Mine went down once as well, but while I was dismounting. I exchanged a bit of back pain for no damage on the bike and cussed for a week or so.

OK, 2 year ago somebody backup up on my zx14 on the parking lot and that :touch: was enough for my bike to go down.. the total damage was 4700 dollars. Actually the driver of the car could not believe it, so I sent him the estimate from the dealership. I had full coverage, but if that was my fault I goingreplace the clutch lever and keep riding..In my opinion, your bike is just fine. S&&% happens, and we have to deal with that.

I almost did this on day 3 of hayabusa ownership. Completely user error, of course.

I pulled the bike out of the garage and jumped off to go close the garage door. I didn't realize at first that I had stopped and kickstanded the bike on a slightly downward sloped section of the driveway. Well, as soon as I stepped off the bike, it rolled forward enough to fold the kickstand back. I saw the bike roll out of the corner of my eye and was uncharastically quick to to react. The bike fell into me and pinned me against my pick-up truck. It had to be inches from the ground at that point. I muscled it back up and wheeled it to flat ground. I count my blessings that I didn't cause any damage to anything whatsoever. And I've been extremely cautious of "parking" and kickstanding ever since.

Researching the kickstand mod right now...

I always leave my bike in gear and put the Kickstand down to kill the motor. That way I never forget. Got into that routine after a drop where I got real lucky and just broke a mirror and a bootleg.

Back