Power Mode A, B, C

Tank Bayard

Registered
I run in Mode A all the time....
wondering what you guys do...

when just cruising on the Super Slab, do you change to Mode C?

Does Mode C give better MPG's than A?

Ive got a Gen1 so I cant speak from personal experience but most of the guys Ive talked to and read about on here never bother with that thing.....:laugh:

If I get caught out in the rain ill change over to C mode just to help make sure I don't get to throttle happy. Other than that I never bother with the modes button...Fire it up and GO!!!!!!!!

I read somewhere that mode C reduces the power band by 50 horse power....so with not having to feed those horses, I'm assuming a difference in MPG's.
Reason asking is I'm planning another Iron Butt Ride, and having to make fewer gas stops would be a boost to making the goal.

A mode when its just me, C mode 2 up for cruising and B mode for 2 up fun to ease the power in.
Maybe B or C when solo if the weather and tyres aren't getting on.

When i picked up my Busa about a month ago i was out of town it was pissing down, i was very happy to have the changeable mode and rode in C till i got a BIT more
familiar with things.
I think at this time of year (winter down here) i think C mode is great till the tyres have a few kms to warm up at least before ficking over to A.

thanks for the informative answers... my question ref mpg's remains unanswered...
some of you guys didn't help.... but that's understandable for keyboard warriors.
Busa's Rock!

I'll just have to go 'test' mode 'C' for a few gallons and see what it does.

thanks.

From my happy trails and encountering the dreaded fuel light on a back road with nowhere to get fuel, C mode helped me. I must have rode forever with that light on before we pulled into a gas station. Yes I was sweating and we we already had a plan in case one of us ran out of fuel. It was during one of the trips to the bash. With a full tank of fuel I wouldnt worry about it, but I have to believe I used every drop of gas and some of the fumes to get to that station in West Memphis.

Tried mode C once just to see what it was like. I just keep her in A and use the power as needed.

It is my understanding that the Drive Mode Selector is not so much pre-programmed maps used to retard power, but actually a control system to manage the stepper motors that operate the secondary throttle valves. For the sake of those that are not familiar, the modes are as follows:

A - you get the throttle your right wrist asks for

B - secondary throttle valves don't open as wide as the cable controlled throttle valves until you hit wide open throttle

C - secondary throttles never open as wide as the cable controlled ones

That being said, it would stand to reason that 'B' and 'C' modes would offer better economy, being that the amount of fuel being delivered is restricted. However, when you factor in the myriad variables that exist in the real world riding conditions that we all experience, I would bet that the difference would be negligible. Just as careful riding in 'A' can yield impressive mileage numbers, beating the hell out of the bike in 'B' and 'C' mode can leave some scratching their heads at the lack of decent miles per gallon.

TL;DR - MPG are going to depend much more on riding style and environmental variables than the chosen power mode of the bike.

Just my :2cents: - I could be way off base here, so take my assumptions as simply that.

I keep forgetting to try the other two modes, this being only my 3rd gen II, I somehow manage to get bored of them and going back to gen I because gen I feels more of a purist bike than the gen II.. Some day I will try that pesky switch...

I filled up before jumping on I-85 south in NC this morning... Power Mode 'C'... this is my normal commute route to work daily, and is a mix of speed limits...1/2 at 65-70 mph, and the other at 45-55 mph... 50 miles getting here.... I'll do the same route on the way home and refill the tank...
and yes, I kept it even, steady with no quick bursts to see what mode 'C' would do... just treated it like on a Sunday Cruise on a Harley... LOL

stay tuned...

I did try C one time...when the bike was new...it was horrifying, like I lost a cylinder....worst quarter mile of my life. The other 29,999.75 miles were in A mode. :lol:

Back