2012 ZX-14R Wheel Swap for Gen II - Full Write up

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
Here is the complete write up on the 2012 ZX-14R wheel swap onto a Gen II Hayabusa. Now mind you, we did a single caliper front set up and these wheels are slightly different than older model ZX-14 so we can not be sure if they would use the same parts as the wheels we used. Sent from my friend Johnny with pictures....

sorry i am not a CAD guy and my drawing sucks but hopefully you can comprehend it all

ok ill start with the front wheel as it is pretty much a bolt on. we only used a left rotor and caliper so i cannot confirm that this will work if you intend on doing a dual rotor setup. i don't have pics of this but it is pretty easy.

leave stock zx14 bearings and seals in place
take your original busa right spacer and have .0395 (1mm) machined from the width.

bolt wheel on and install new width spacer, torque and the front is done.

Now for the real fun, the rear wheel. There are 5 pieces you will need and i will list it all step by step with dimensions.

zx14wheelinstall1_zpsf785e9a8.jpg

First remove the hub bearings from both wheels and center support tube. You will put the busa bearings in the zx14 wheel but you will have to make a new center spacer.
i bought a piece of tubing McMaster-Carr machined to 6" long and had to open the bore or i.d. up to 1.106
now you can press the bearings and center tube in the zx14 wheel
you can also install the seals, i used the stock zx14 seal on the sprocket side and the stock busa one in the brake rotor side

next is the sprocket holder spacer, I USED THE STOCK ZX14 BEARING IN THE SPROCKET HOLDER
zx14wheelinstall2_zpsa7d9b4a9.jpg

zx14wheelinstall3_zpsf1d876f0.jpg

zx14wheelinstall4_zps2ed1ae68.jpg

zx14wheelinstall5_zps34089e72.jpg

the left side spacer ****make sure to bevel the edges so you don't cut the seal
zx14wheelinstall6_zpse922717a.jpg

zx14wheelinstall7_zps5d12653b.jpg

right spacer (outside of sprocket hub) **** bevel edges
zx14wheelinstall8_zps84d9d57e.jpg

zx14wheelinstall9_zpsd9414fb0.jpg

and probably the hardest part, the rotor spacer
zx14wheelinstall10_zpsaefd8302.jpg

zx14wheelinstall11_zpse41a79ec.jpg

zx14wheelinstall12_zps3b8b97d0.jpg

zx14wheelinstall13_zps3c12aa9d.jpg

now you have to modify the caliper holder just a bit for clearance to the rotor bolts. there is a little round casting on the inside of the holder that you can either machine down or just sand/file
zx14wheelinstall15_zps51bef6a1.jpg

zx14wheelinstall16_zps0849bef7.jpg

zx14wheelinstall17_zps1f30b789.jpg

hopefully when your done you have a hayasaki
zx14wheelinstall18_zps1e50aaee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If one of the mods could possibly pin this here or maybe in the Gen II section, that would be cool

wow that was impressive! better write up then most magazines would be. great lookn wheels too. their about the same weight as the stock wheels tho correct?

I prefer KawiZuki :)

And nice write up. Other than looks and because you can why would one want to do this?
What are the benefits?

wow that was impressive! better write up then most magazines would be. great lookn wheels too. their about the same weight as the stock wheels tho correct?

Haha I read through it a few times and I'm pretty impressed. I knew he does killer work but just seeing his notes and how he works is pretty cool because he's old school.

I prefer KawiZuki :)

And nice write up. Other than looks and because you can why would one want to do this?
What are the benefits?

There are no real performance benefit. It's all strictly appearance but I can see these wheels being more available used now that the newest 14 is going on it's second year so people should be able to find them cheap. Now I just need to sell my stock black wheels

Do you think he could make a kit? Cause I now have the wheels and would buy one. Being out here in the county I have limited access to parts.

I could possibly make a complete kit for this, I am going to have to look into this some more.

I have been look at the ZX-14 wheels for a while now and was going to do just as Justin did. The wheels are head and shoulders above the busa wheels in appearance.

Most of this is lathe work, but I can do almost all of it on my CNC mill.

Scott

Justin how about some pictures on the bike?

Here are a few pictures I had done to see where I was going to go with my build.
stites-black-cherry.jpg

busaframe.jpg

I could possibly make a complete kit for this, I am going to have to look into this some more.

I have been look at the ZX-14 wheels for a while now and was going to do just as Justin did. The wheels are head and shoulders above the busa wheels in appearance.

Most of this is lathe work, but I can do almost all of it on my CNC mill.

Scott

With kits comes liability. Think it out and protect yourself before selling a kit to Joe Shmoe from Idaho.

Waiting on my rims to come in I know they aren't coming with axles can I get by using the hayabusa axles or do I need to buy the ZX 14 axles.going to try to attempt this on a gen 1.any help will be appreciated

Waiting on my rims to come in I know they aren't coming with axles can I get by using the hayabusa axles or do I need to buy the ZX 14 axles.going to try to attempt this on a gen 1.any help will be appreciated

A Gen I is different than the Gen II, but we used the Hayabusa axle and bearings on the rear

Back