Aftermarket Exhaust Question

rustyred79

Registered
I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I ran an Brock's alienhead on my 2011 hayabusa without a power commander.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It doesn't have to be a Power Commander specifically, but you absolutely do need some method of tuning to run a full system. The ECU editor software is the preferred method and almost free.

It doesn't have to be a Power Commander specifically, but you absolutely do need some method of tuning to run a full system. The ECU editor software is the preferred method and almost free.

+1, if it's a full system, then it needs to be tuned. Slip-ons, not so much

Well let me get spanked here :laugh: With the AH I think you need a tune. The system flows and I don't think you can mount the O2. If it were another system that only made 5 RWHP and allowed for the stock O2 sensor the Gen II ECU would handle it.

I feel the ECU editing is the best route to go.

if you want to max. fill performance youneed a tune or map

never had mine tuned or mappped, ran a full akra for 8000mi worth

Same here, I ran w/ a full Yoshimura R-55 for 6-7K before having it tuned.
Ran fine. Runs better after. Very smooth all the way to red and removed a bit of abruptness & truly the way to fly if you are running a full system, get all you can.

Your question is if you can use it without hurting anything. Yes you can, will not hurt the motor or anything on the bike. Just your ears. LOL. But like everyone has said, you will only gain from a full exhaust if you do a tune. Otherwise your bike will run perfectly fine without it, and no harm will be done to your motor. :beerchug:

The brocks pipes don't even have a factory ho2s bung in them, only a larger bung for a tradition uego sensor. You'll have to figure something out. I ordered a factory size bung from yoshimura and welded that in on a brocks pipe to maintain the factory oxygen sensor.

With ecu editor you can actually disable the o2 sensor, and have no need for the resistor plug that dynojet sends you wtih the power commander etc.

Before I did any engine mods on my Gen2 I did a full exhaust... I did 4 baseline pull's at a buddys shop,rolled the bike off the dyno,let it cool for 30mins or so while taking the bodywork off,removed the stock exhaust&put a full Akrapovic on w a PC3..rolled it back on the dyno 1.5hrs later&it showed a 10hp gain w a zero map in the PC....

Before I did any engine mods on my Gen2 I did a full exhaust... I did 4 baseline pull's at a buddys shop,rolled the bike off the dyno,let it cool for 30mins or so while taking the bodywork off,removed the stock exhaust&put a full Akrapovic on w a PC3..rolled it back on the dyno 1.5hrs later&it showed a 10hp gain w a zero map in the PC....

And what did it show after the tune?

I would like to see the graphs. Just because it picked up peak power somewhere in the RPM range does not mean it is running as intended.

I would like to see the graphs. Just because it picked up peak power somewhere in the RPM range does not mean it is running as intended.

I think he was just proving a point, as his bike IS tuned and is a monster(ask him for details on the 1441 with BSTs, awesome).
Point being that the bike will run ok, usually better, and not harm the engine with a full exhaust and no tune. Like the OP wanted to know.
We all know dyno tuning gets you the most efficiantly running engine.:beerchug:

I didnt save them because the bike was being sent off the next day for an engine build&we needed to get a pipe&PC on it but from what I remember it was close to the stock graph until 9 or 10k or so where it picked up 10 on the peak...we never mapped the bike for the pipe with the stock engine. Im not saying the bike will run 100% w/out a tune(obviuosly it DOES need a tune to benefit the most) just sayin you will pick up some power as others said it will see no HP gain w/out a tune,thats all

The brocks pipes don't even have a factory ho2s bung in them, only a larger bung for a tradition uego sensor. You'll have to figure something out. I ordered a factory size bung from yoshimura and welded that in on a brocks pipe to maintain the factory oxygen sensor.

With ecu editor you can actually disable the o2 sensor, and have no need for the resistor plug that dynojet sends you wtih the power commander etc.

I think that's because they flow too much, which is great.

Back