all things chrome shock

Big D's Busa

Registered
I was wondering who all has or had a atc heavy spring chrome shock. I have my bike stretched at about 8 inch and lowered 2 inch in rear to even out. I have the factory shock all the way tight as it can pretty much go and rubbing into my tail. My weight is 275 if I get this shock will I be able to ride someone if I wanted to? Thanks

1012001201.jpg

1012001202.jpg

You'll have to keep the bike about stock height and might not rub. I have one on my 07 +12 and it rubs when I wack the throttle, but the tail is only like 3" above the tire. My wife loves the fact that; it will rub if I put some on the back!:laugh:

It shouldn't if you keep it a little high! You can also tighten the spring as well if needed!

I have the ATC chrome spring, and stock shock on my bike and I have no rubbing issues. I have not tried riding 2 up since installing the new spring.

BMW5

DSC00071.jpg

clearance is always a problem on a stretched bike. i never tried a different spring, but i have turned up the pressure on the stock spring and used soupy's adjustable dog bones and they work well for riding 2 up. i'm now running an air ride suspention and while it looks all trick, i prefered the soupy's. unless you go the extra mile to install pressure guages (another $300. when is enough enough?) you're just making your best guess and repeating a ride height and dampening that worked well. i also fabricated a steel skid plate that used the fender mount holes. that has saved the day more than once.

029a.jpg

i have the chrome atc heavy duty spring and i have a 9 inch stretch and i weigh 250 with no rubbing issue at all even riding 2 up but my bike is at stock height hers a pic and one before the paint job

007.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

oldsmar bike show 2.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the stock spring is rated for 900 lbs and the ATC spring is rated for 1400 lbs. I have the ATC spring and stock shock on mine. I am stretched about 12 inches. I have the soupy lowering links and I am sitting about 1 1/2 inches from the tire to the taillight. I am about 190 lbs and I haven't had any issues with rubbing. But, I ride solo. If you ride at stock height and carry a passenger even at your weight I really don't think you will rub. The only "sure" way you won't rub is get a strut but I wouldn't recommend it. Or you could go the air ride route.

Back