Shoei RF 1100

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I got a new Shoei RF 1100 for Christmas but today was the first time I got it out on the open road for a test. I have had a Shoei RF 1000 for 4 years and I have been pretty happy with it except a few things.

1. Fogging. Nothing seems to work and I used to find myself riding around with the sheild up all the time waiting for it to clear.

2. Fit. I had to get a 3XL. That comes in any color you want as long as it's Silver, which was ok since it matched my Busa anyway. I can wear 2XL sizes in other helmets but not Shoei.

3. Lift. The old Shoei would lift up at 100+ speeds and the movement of the helmet would blur my vision. Part of this was because the 3XL was a little too big (the 2XL too small, I tried different pads too but no dice).

The new Shoei looks different from the trusty old RF 1000. The shape is cooler, racier. That shape works too because I can wear the 2XL no problem and there is no lift at all. The RF 1100 feels snug and light on the head. There is no gaps inside the shell around my head, just snug and comfy.

This helmet cuts the wind like it's not even there! Even with the sheild cracked open it's quiet as a mouse. I felt like I was sitting in my living room listening to the stereo it was so peaceful. There is only a little lift at 140 mph, but that could be the sheild on the bike as much as the helmet. The 2XL fit my fat head perfectly, like no other I have tried actually. My head is square, with a large normal top and extra large cheeks and chin. I was the prototypical fat head football lineman and most helmets just don't cover all the parts they need too on a head like mine. But the 2XL RF 1100 is a perfect fit.

The shield is new too and very cool. The RF 1100 shares this new shield design with the X-12 race helmet. When it comes full closed it is sucked into the face of the helmet against a rubber seal by springs and that's it - it's like closing a space helmet. Still easy to change the sheilds though.

Air flow was good to. The old Shoei would blow air into my eyes, this one blows it onto the shield and is much more comfortable. That seems to make the RF 1100 handle fogging better too. With the breath guard in place there was just the slightest fogging when stopped. But it was much improved over the RF 1000. The shield opening itself is also bigger. This gives a really big, panoramic view. I didn't have any complaints with the RF 1000, but the view from this new one is pretty cool and it feels like the top of the helmet is missing until you get used to it.

To be honest, I got a new helmet because the old one was getting the old helmet look with chips and nicks (and smell). The old RF 1000 was a great lid and I have spent many happy miles in it. So I was a little hesisatant to drop almost $400 on a new one. But I can say that the new RF 1100 is in another league performance wise over the RF 1000 and easily worth the cost of an upgrade. I have Ipod, GPS, phone, & Radar all feeding me information through an AutoCom in the helmet and the peace and quiet inside the RF 1100 really helps you focus.

I went with the flat black helmet and its beautiful. I don't like the shiny black and didn't want a color (and wasn't going to pay the $$$ for a pattern). Unfortunately I knocked the helmet off my seat at the gass station and picked up a small nick in it already:banghead:

This is a great helmet and if you were wondering if it's worth spending all that hard cash for another Shoei, it is. I actually think Shoei made a mistake not giving this lid a new name, as people will not realize it's really a big step up over the RF 1000.:thumbsup:

RF-1100-Matte-Black.jpg

There great helmets, I have had one since last winter when they came out, if it fogs get a pin loc shield, you cannot get them to fog up.

Nice one! I have 2 RF-1000's and love them. They fit great for me and had no issues.

Congrats on the rf-1100

I love my RF-1100. It only fogs on the coldest days. Shields are spendy is about my only complaint. I also have a giant noggin and this helmet fits great. I haven't noticed it to be terribly quiet, but ear plugs fix all. Definitely a step above my old HJC.

You'd would think that at those prices a fogged up shield would be the last thing you'd have to worry about.

thanks for the write up. I was looking at them and wondering if I should go for that or the X-12 for this LSR season. Based on all factors, including price, I think I may score this lid. thanks again.

I love my RF-1100. It only fogs on the coldest days. Shields are spendy is about my only complaint. I also have a giant noggin and this helmet fits great. I haven't noticed it to be terribly quiet, but ear plugs fix all. Definitely a step above my old HJC.

You should buy an Arai if you think Shoei shields are expensive.. :whistle:

Love the Flat Black Shoei!! :beerchug:

I recently went from the RF-1000 to the RF-1100 and i completely love this lid. I couldnt ask for anything differant or better well maybe a hayabusa design on one but ill hold on to that dream for now. haha

drove back up there today to take another look, after trying it on a few times i decided to give it a shot. Feels pretty good, just a little different in the cheek area than my rf-1000. Can't wait to test it out and get a real comparison. Ever since i saw my friends flat/matte black helmet (i think it's icon), i have been in love with the look and dying to get a matte black one anyway, blends in nicely with my all black icon leather jacket

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

The shield is new too and very cool. The RF 1100 shares this new shield design with the X-12 race helmet. When it comes full closed it is sucked into the face of the helmet against a rubber seal by springs and that's it - it's like closing a space helmet.
So, let me get this right, there is no clip to close to keep the visor secure at speed? It is done automatically when you fully close the visor? I only ask because, in the picture, it looks like the visor has the normal Shoei clip!

drove back up there today to take another look, after trying it on a few times i decided to give it a shot. Feels pretty good, just a little different in the cheek area than my rf-1000. Can't wait to test it out and get a real comparison. Ever since i saw my friends flat/matte black helmet (i think it's icon), i have been in love with the look and dying to get a matte black one anyway, blends in nicely with my all black icon leather jacket

View attachment 215189

View attachment 215190

View attachment 215191

PLEASE tell me the scented candle was provided by your wife!

I got a new rf1000 for $99 bucks because it was discontinued. it has turned out to be a good backup helmet. My assortment of HJC's fit my head, containing my large brain, best.

Yes the scented candle in the background is my wife's lol. And yes the visor does lock down with the lever on the left side of the helmet, it also has a second lock position that locks the screen just barely cracked open about 1/8", i guess for a little more airflow on scorching hot days, will have to try that setting out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back