Vid cam opinions? GoPro HD vs Contour HD

Mythos

Registered
Going to order the GoPro today and I see they have a new cam called the Contour HD.

Looks like Contour has a bit narrower field of view?

The Contour has easier editing capabilities??

The Contour is able to shoot 30 frame HD or 60 frames/second for extreme motion. The GoPro is also able to shoot 60 fps for slo-mo. Is the 60 fps really the same deal with either cam?

The info I saw mentions nothing about sound on the Contour. Is it as good as the GoPro?

Those are my questions but all other info would be much appreciated.

I read a ton of reviews before deciding on the GoPro.

Both cam's have their pros and cons, but the main deciding factors for me were 1) mounting options, and, 2) waterproof casing. - They each have a case but the GoPro seems to be much smaller, which is what I wanted.
I also saw some footage that showed the Contour's video looking slightly washed out in comparison to the GoPro.

At the end of the day, I think they're both great cameras. If you were solely going to be mounting a cam on your helmet, the Contour might be the best bet. If you are into things like skiing, surfing,skydiving, etc, the GoPro is possibly more suited to your needs.

The GoPro also has many more features than does the Contour. This review may be helpful: Technobrains | GoPro HD Hero vs VholdR ContourHD – Extreme Sport Digital Camera

I've used my GoPro HD a few times now. I love it and would buy it again.

Thanks Rainbow7. That helps a lot. The contour seems like it doesn't capture thew sound anywhere near as well as the GoPro. The Contour records the wind noise for the most part.

Has anyone done any editing with the GoPro?

Last edited:
There is a big thread on the GoPro here (search for it). The regular Gopro uses .avi as it's file type; easier to edit with Windows machines, but the image quality is not HD. The new GoPro HD uses .mp4. The original MP4 file will knock your socks off (it's HD) but it doesn't edit well with Windows machines (not natively until VISTA). If you have a MAC it will edit great....

If a WIN machine, Premier Elements 8 will edit it, but it takes a pretty strong machine when the file size gets pretty huge.

Other advantages to the HD model: Image quality, RECHARGAGBLE BATTER, storage size...I'd recommend the HD, but if you want a regular GOPRO, I've got a used one I'd let go for a pretty good price!

As Skydiver said, with a mac the gopro ROCKS!. It opens in iMovie and its very simple to edit/cup/clip your movies and sound. 1 click to burn a DVD or export to a you tube format. I use my gopro for flying/scuba diving/riding and have never found it lacking.

Video quality on GoPro is excellent but audio capture sucks .
No exp with contour but I now know why everybody dubbs music over the original soundtrack .

There is a big thread on the GoPro here (search for it). The regular Gopro uses .avi as it's file type; easier to edit with Windows machines, but the image quality is not HD. The new GoPro HD uses .mp4. The original MP4 file will knock your socks off (it's HD) but it doesn't edit well with Windows machines (not natively until VISTA). If you have a MAC it will edit great....

If a WIN machine, Premier Elements 8 will edit it, but it takes a pretty strong machine when the file size gets pretty huge.

Other advantages to the HD model: Image quality, RECHARGAGBLE BATTER, storage size...I'd recommend the HD, but if you want a regular GOPRO, I've got a used one I'd let go for a pretty good price!

Thanks, Skydiver.......I do have a Mac and the Masters Adobe Suite so I should have more than I will know what to do with (Same thing I like about my busa!!!) but I will be set.

I may be interested in a second cam so i will keep you in mind concerning the regular GoPro. In fact, I'll PM you so I have you and this topic saved in my messages.

As Skydiver said, with a mac the gopro ROCKS!. It opens in iMovie and its very simple to edit/cup/clip your movies and sound. 1 click to burn a DVD or export to a you tube format. I use my gopro for flying/scuba diving/riding and have never found it lacking.

Awesome! Got iMovie in my dock at screen's bottom.

Video quality on GoPro is excellent but audio capture sucks .
No exp with contour but I now know why everybody dubbs music over the original soundtrack .

Amazing. I'm not about to argue that point with you but that is the first negative comment I have heard about the sound on a GoPro. Most of the vids I have seen have horrendous sound quality once the bike tops 40 mph. Perhaps you are accustomed to some pretty cutting edge equipment? I guess I will find out for myself. Sound is important but image quality, cost and editability is top priority for me.

Thanks also for the link, Blanca Busa. Quite a bit of discussion but I'll do my homework tonight.:learn::learn:

Last edited:
I also did a ton of research before ordering my GoPro HD and the deciding factors for me the larger memory card support and better under water housing included... The ContourHD sounded nice, but just doesn't seem to match up to the GoPro...

:beerchug:

Amazing. I'm not about to argue that point with you but that is the first negative comment I have heard about the sound on a GoPro. Most of the vids I have seen have horrendous sound quality once the bike tops 40 mph. Perhaps you are accustomed to some pretty cutting edge equipment? I guess I will find out for myself. Sound is important but image quality, cost and editability is top priority for me.

Thanks also for the link, Blanca Busa. Quite a bit of discussion but I'll do my homework tonight.:learn::learn:

I've yet to see and HEAR a GoPro video at speed where wind and 'noise' isn't a problem .
Inside waterproof case mounted on tank yes it's ok but then it's muffled . I see bike cams on speedvision during AMA and MotoGp where camera is out in the open and sound is fine with no wind at all . The GoPro cannot that I know of capture nice engine/exhaust sound without a bunch of interference . Cams on TV can't be that different .

I'm getting the camera and the tripod adaptor. That LCD backpac looks very nice also but will it really fit inside of the waterproof housing along with the camera?

Am I correct in assuming that there is no battery charger included with the camera...so it is a must to purchase the wall charger & USB/cig adapter....or else one of the adapters offered that connect to the bike's battery?

I'm getting the camera and the tripod adaptor. That LCD backpac looks very nice also but will it really fit inside of the waterproof housing along with the camera?

Am I correct in assuming that there is no battery charger included with the camera...so it is a must to purchase the wall charger & USB/cig adapter....or else one of the adapters offered that connect to the bike's battery?

The LCD back pack isn't supposed to go inside the case. It is meant for playback use, not filming.

The camera doesn't come with a charger, because the battery is charged via the USB port when you plug it into your PC/Mac.
I suggest buying a spare battery. Keep both charged and take them with you. 5-ish hours of recording time is more than enough for me.

On the issue of wind noise, I have been told that putting a small piece of foam over the mic is the best way to reduce that problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, again Rainbow7. Good info on the battery charge via computer USB. Sometimes the copywriting for stuff can be misleading.

Is the LCD backpac something you have tried? It sounds like GoPro is claiming the LCD is for real time use and also sounds like they are claiming that it will fit the protective shell the cam fits in.
"Click it onto the back of the HD HERO for LCD screen convenience while filming, or just click it on at the end of the day to see what your footage looks like. Fits inside the HD Housing thanks to a patent-pending removable back door design."

GoPro HD comes with a USB charger. HOWEVER, it will pretty much charge with any phone mini-USB charger. I use my car and house cell charger without issue.

No camera will give you decent sound at speed. The same mic that supposed to pick up voice standing still is too sensitive to work well at speed in the airflow (Same thing with skydiving with it. However, my GP Hero does pick up engine noise, which i then mix into music.

Since I can't seem to embed, here are links to 2 videos with GoPro HD, one skydiving and one on my bike....

- Skydive100523[/url]

- GoPro HD Premier[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a big thread on the GoPro here (search for it).

!

Thats what she said:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Couldn't resist:rofl::rofl:

Back