Gen 2 Trunk Mod

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I finally got around to putting a bigger trunk in my Gen 2. I bought a 9"x12" black plastic storage container at Wal-Mart for $9, and trimmed it to fit. From under the bike the bottom of the new trunk sits 3 1/2" above the rear tire, and is higher than the outside of the tail, so it's not visible from the sides or rear. The 3 1/2" of clearance is more than enough for me(175lbs) and even with my wife on the back it won't bottom or rub. I like my suspension pretty stiff, so it's not bouncing up and down. I could've made it with more tire clearance if needed though.
I took a bunch of pictures, so give me a few to post them all. It's not a step by step how to, but enough to where you get the idea.

Stock

SDC10459.jpg

SDC10460.jpg

Removed tail and trunk, and this is the box I bought 9"x12"x I think 18", course the height doesn't matter as I cut it down.

SDC10465.jpg

SDC10466.jpg

SDC10463.jpg

I cut the top off the box, and after some trial and error, eventually ended up with this shape. I then pop rivoted it into the old trunk space.

SDC10472.jpg

SDC10473.jpg

SDC10477.jpg

I reassembled it and it's now 7" to the seat latch to the bottom and 12' long into the tail.
And no, that's not a 20oz drink, that's a 2 liter!:laugh:

SDC10483.jpg

SDC10486.jpg

SDC10484.jpg

It cost $9 and took a little over an hour, and there are no clearance issues at all. Just thought I'de share in case anyone else has ben thinking of something similiar. Now there is plenty of room for ECU Editor/Power Commander, air shifter bottle, NOS bottle, tools, a drink, sweatshirt, and then some.:thumbsup: I HAVE SPACE NOW!!!:beerchug:

WOW! You guys here on the .org are full of ideas and talent. I get scared that I'm going to scratch somethimg if I just take the seat off.

now that's a mod. i am impressed that there are no clearance issues with the new storage. :thumbsup:

Back