Gen2 HID install

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
So after getting tired of old folks not seeing me here in SoFla I decided I had to get some HIDs. Based on WarbirdII's thread and his advice I ordered same as him from DDM tuning. 2 -35 watt single HID kits and one each H7 and H9 bulb to replace both. I also got two white LEDs from Autolumination to replace the running lights in the headlamp assbly.
After looking at WarbirdII's thread it seemed fairly easy and straightforward.
I PM'd him as well as texted him. He was always right there to answer and ease. Never met the guy but talks to you like you've know each other for 20yrs. Super nice..:thumbsup::bowdown:.
Now on for the install. Sonce I had no extra harness or plug I decided to do it as a simple plug and play install. When I got it there were wires and plugs and OMG:banghead: what have I done whent thru my head.
But again Tim was there to help.
So first take off two inner panels as well as chin skirt. Then two side panels.
Then remove windshield. After this you need to take off gauge cluster trim pieces. Be careful but some snapping and popping as they come loose is normal. Scares me but thats how it is. They 'snap' when they come apart.
Now lay a towel over triple tree so when you remove gauge cluster the possibility of scratching your gauge faces is less. Thanks again Tim for the tip.
Next remove both oem bulbs and lay them aside.
The top one is the low beam and bottom is high beam.
Low beam has a big rubber grommet on it that pops in to protect bulb.
Remove grommet and then you can unclip lowbeam bulb.
High beam twist and locks into place. Comes right out.

The new high beam HID unit will be a complete plug and use system ready to go. The low beam HID unit will have two spade connectors instead of a plug in harness. This is where my install and WarbirdII's differ.
Since he had an extra harness and has skills he cut and soldered his shorter. "Girls like guys with skills" :laugh:
I have no soldering ability so decided to leave the extra wire there , no problem.
It is all very straightforward but from reading his post it seemed still one dimensional. Could not really grasp it until I started it. But once I got everything off and apart then connected the new units I was able to visualize it all going together. The new units come with clear plastic covers protecting the bulbs. One simply tapes off and the other is a two piece cover that screws over the bulb. The base of the cover that screws over the bulb can be removed by pulling each one of the wires from the bulb one at a time thru the collar and then thru the base of the clear protective cover. If you do one wire at a time each connector on that wire will fit thru both at the same time will not. Once you got the covers off you can put the bulbs in the bike. There are also two large rubber grommets that come on the new bulbs. Carefully cut these off. Each one of the four wires goes thru this so be careful and take your time. Again cut the rubber grommets on the new units not any grommets on bike or the large one you removed to get lowbeam out.
Per Tim's suggestion I installed both bulbs but left lowbeam unconnected.
I hooked up highbeam first. His explanation was that I would be able to test the highbeam first without constantly flicking lowbeam on and off while doing so. Great tip, thanks.
All went fine. Hooked it up and NO HIGHBEAM. HMmmm call Tim , run thru a few things. Then as he said I needed to turn the plug around.
The new HID plug can be connected either way and does not only go one way so I unplugged it, flipped it around plugged it in and BAM....DAYUM THATS BRIGHT !
Now for the low beam. This is a little more tricky but not so much to where you cant do it. The lowbeam has two sep spade connectors instead of the correct matching plug. You simply plug them each into the connector to make it work. I looped the wires and zip tied them to the conn body so they could not come out. Then I wrapped it well with elec tape.
The HID ballast I put in the same place as Tim did on the right side ram air tube. I used double sided tape to stick the ballasts together and then zip tied them to ram air tube. The resistors for the HID units I put in same place again as Tim. First I zip tied them together and then zip tied them to the frame work where cluster attaches to. The extra wiring TIm did not have I simply folded it up wrapped it with elec tape and secured the roll with a zip tie. All the other wires again I zip tied in a roll and secured them as forward as poss so they would not contact dampner when it moved.
Now things I learned how to do to make the bulbs fit tight and right.
First the new HID highbeam unit did not twist and lock as tight as the OEM unit so I slightly bent the three tabs on the bulb body up just a hairs width as well as put a pin head size drop of superglue on each tab. Then I twisted it in and locked it. It fits tight now. Believe me as much friggin' time and work as it took to get to the bulb the last thing I wanted was for it to come loose.
The new HID lowbeam came with a collar over it that has nipples on it .
This collar prevents the bulb from seating properly inside headlamp assbly unless modified. You need to trim the tabs on the collar as you see in my pics in order to get it to go deep enough into the assbly so you can secure it with the clip. Connect all plugs. Then you can test both to make sure the operate correctly.
If they both work you can secure ballasts to ramair tube, resistors to framework up front and wrap and secure all wires. After that put it all back together and your done !

WARBIRDII..(Tim)..Thank you...:bowdown::bowdown::thumbsup:

HIDs 003.JPG

HIDs 002.JPG

HIDs 004.JPG

HIDs 006.JPG

HIDs 007.JPG

HIDs 008.JPG

HIDs 010.JPG

HIDs 014.JPG

HIDs 011.JPG

HIDs 012.JPG

HIDs 013.JPG

HIDs 015.JPG

HIDs 016.JPG

HIDs 017.JPG

Re: Blanca's new Granny Blinders....

What the resistors you installed for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice write-up & "how-to" with pics Saiid! :thumbsup:

I may be calling you now when I get around to installing mine. :laugh:

I may be refering to it as a 'resistor' wrongly.
It is part of the system that came with it. As you can see from pic off maker site.
Small flat piece is ballast and larger rectangular piece is resistor ?
These are the terms WarbirdII used.
It may be called something else but all came together and I had to modify very little.
What you see is one complete unit and you need two to do both HI and Lo beams.

hidbikesingle.jpg

Hmm. Didn't know they have or would ever needed a resistor. Maybe it the ignitor for the ballast? Dunno.

Looks good btw. One of my mods coming up is hids for the bike and truck. Put a set in my car already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Could be the igniter. I am not sure exactly what you would call which part.
Each one with the bulb included was only $24.99 and the papers that came with each one say warranted for life of original purchaser.
Great deal.

Hey Saiid.....

How about "I also got two white LEDs from Autolumination to replace the running lights in the headlamp assbly."

Whats the deal w/ those? Did you install them at the same time? If so...how did that go? And does the above pic you posted showing your bike w/ the new HID lights on represent the running lights installed as well?

Little steps make a big project seem simple in the end.
I took it all apart in about an hour.
Took about 15-20 extra mins trying to figure out lowbeam collar problem.
Took about 15-20 extra mins trying to figure out highbeam not feeling tight upon twist and lock.
Took a break to eat a ham sandwich for lunch and relax a bit.
Then connected highbeam and took another 10 mins or so figuring out I had to flip plug to get it to light.
Then connected low beam in one minute.
Took about 30 mins making sure all plugs were wrapped with elec tape and secured with zip ties.
Then put it all back together in about an hour.
Total time with sammich was around 3 hours for a person scared chitless and no exp with things like this.

After all was done , cleaning up I find two 'extra' pushpins..:banghead:
Another few mins later and a text to Tim.
He says they go on gauge cluster trim piece underneath other trim piece.
Hours of mental anguish averted ! :bowdown:

Hopefully this thread will help shave time off anyone elses project.

Last edited:

The LEDs that I used to put in the running lights were two white ones .
Once you get it all apart you can easily see the plugs that hold these in.
Very simple rubber plug that pushes in. Pull it out and the oem white lights are right there in the end of the plug easy to remove.
Plug in white LEDs and push rubber plug back in. One minute for each one. I believe that pretty much any led with a 194 base will fit in there.
They had diff ones , some single all the way up to like 6 or 7 LEDs per bulb. I got the single you see below.
Did not take pics of these cuz like I said once you get it all apart you will easily see two grey rubber plugs each with two wires coming from them.
Very easy to see their location as they are right in top corners of headlamp assbly.

194sshs_w_wm.jpg

Introducing the New & Improved Super Star

Outfitted with the latest Super High-Flux low profile Leds

Designed especially for gauges, and applications requiring a large uniform field of bright light

Note: These have the all metal heat sinks for constant-on applications to reduce heat related failures

Only 9mm diameter x 24mm overall

But like I said I believe just about any led on this page will fit. I may be wrong so to be safe I can guarantee the ones I got work.

194 168 W5W 2825 Map Led Parking Signal Marker Bulbs

Last edited:

Looks good... I took out my high beam, I didn't like the way it worked at night. Let me know how you like it... seemed not to light up the road, just the street signs.

Just took a run to the BK lounge for a couple $1 doublecheeburgers.
Got out on my street and behind a car. Then moved around him and we came to a stop.
He looks over at me and says 'Man those are bright lights !'....
......:cheerleader:
Exactly what I wanted. Dozer where I live all the roads are six lanes with strip malls all the way down both sides. At night a single bike light can disappear in all the others.
I did not notice it lighting up any signs cuz like I said all night long the streets here are bright as day.
So far just a quick run but the first reaction I got was what I wanted.......TO BE SEEN !

First pic is of low beam
Second pic is with both on

and yes I know I have to fix the stones by the tree....

HIDs 021.JPG

HIDs 020.JPG

How did you get them both to come on at the same time. My low would go off when the high was on.. ???

Wasn't aware I was getting anything to do anything.
Stock bulbs both would go on at same time so it seems normal to me for both to go on after swap ?
It is how I like to ride. May actually adj highbeam down a bit so I am still bright but not offensive.
I wasn't aware that both should not work at same time time?

Wasn't aware I was getting anything to do anything.
Stock bulbs both would go on at same time so it seems normal to me for both to go on after swap ?
It is how I like to ride. May actually adj highbeam down a bit so I am still bright but not offensive.
I wasn't aware that both should not work at same time time?

Looks great! Any issues at start-up?

Saiid I was glad to help you out! Anytime you or anyone needs help, just pm me! This is why I enjoy this site.... everyone here doesnt mind helping each other out and returning the favors too each other! A GREAT WAY TOO MAKE FRIENDS TOO!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back