'09 Busa-How much Horsepower should it have ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok , I know this is a WFO topic but my question is :
How much horsepower should a Gen II Busa have ?
In particular MINE ! 2009 Busa . I put Muzzy slip ons and a K&N
filter. It seemed like it wasn't running right after that. A little surging.
My guess was that the bike just wanted to be free and have a proper
parts mod and a good dyno tune. So I purchased a 4into1 Muzzy stainless header for her. Reason I stayed with the Muzzy is because it allowed me to use the can and only have to buy header and midpipe.
I purchased a Power commander V, Healtech XTRE as well as Schnitz block off plates . So off I went to the local speed shop which came highly recommended by word of mouth as well as internet chatter.
Upon arrival we did a baseline pull and then the mods and another series of runs while tuning followed by a final set of figure gathering runs. Machine used is I believe Dynojet 250i.

STOCK NUMBERS WERE :
MAX HP 164.64
MAX TORQUE 97.08

AFTER MODS :
MAX HP 182.25
MAX TORQUE 104.95

I live in south Fl. at sea level. I always get confused as to whether you make more or less here ? I am curious about the figures because all the numbers I see for others are higher. I have even seen article by 'Got-Busa" where his made 180 out of the crate ? I have seen some in the high 190s after the same mods just maybe a different pipe. I figured XTRE would make a HP diff ?
The throttle feels so much lighter now. The bike revs so much quicker now. It is the way an American Jap bike should be ! An opened up dyno tuned monster.
Now granted I did gain almost 18hp which is a respectable number and seat of the pants feel is definitely different. On a Hayabusa will I miss the loss of a few ponies on top ? Not around here but I still wonder
where ya'll think she should be or if this is respectable for sea level in SoFla ?

I have posted dyno runs below.

OPINIONS ????

Attachments

• Dyno.Torque figs 10.7.090001.pdf
    946 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
If you had a 4 into one exhaust you would have higher numbers!

But for the mods you have those are respectable numbers!

Uh , GIXERTP please read post again. I do now have 4into1. Baseline was done with slip-ons.Then 4into1, pwr cmndr and XTRE were done. :beerchug:
Baseline dyno is with slipons and K&N
Top figures are with mods.

keep in mind that using the numbers as an "absolute" measure really does not work well..

You can take the same bike and have 3-10% differences between dynos..

The numbers might get your chest a bit puffy every now and then but Dynos are best used as a tool to measure changes and tracking the plus/minus readings.. your improvement looks pretty good btw... wish my numbers were that good...

it is not uncommon to see the HP king get beat in a race (happens all the time)

I had hoped for high 170s to 180 stock and dreamed of 200HP after.Guess it ws just that.....a dream. :cursin:

First off my main goal was just to get a pipe on it a golfball would roll thru ! Can't
stand things getting in the way of FREE FLOW ! Freedom of choice to have a free flowin' pipe. Not some Euro OK crap. Second was to get it tuned properly. The HP/Torque figs were just icing on the cake. I had hoped for higher to start and wanted more in the end but it was not my goal. Just wanted to make her right. I unfortunately live on a flat grid style pattern known as SoFLa. and there aren't many places to really admire this bike.
Remember I'm 39 with two kids under 10 so when I say you can't I know all the young whippers snappers will say you can. :beerchug:

You also need to remember that heat and high humidity can hurt the over all numbers. Cooler temps and mild to high humidity would give you better combustion. Bring your Busa to WA and run it on the same dyno and it will show different numbers.

:beerchug:

you also need to remember that heat and high humidity can hurt the over all numbers. Cooler temps and mild to high humidity would give you better combustion. Bring your busa to wa and run it on the same dyno and it will show different numbers.

:beerchug:
+100

Ok so the y'all think it's along the lines of normal ?

I will put my two cents in as far as the shop that did the work.
Blais Cycle did the work . The gent that worked on it could have
just as well been a brain surgeon . His attn to detail was second
to none . Had his flashlight in mouth and little mirror in hand making
sure all was fine . He was as friendly as you could want and from
the minute I walked in I felt welcome like I had been there many times.

Again the overall numbers from what I've seen I had hoped for higher
but in no way am I disappointed. Blais Cycle and Ron have turned my
trusty steed into an perfectly tuned animal.
If anyone is looking for work or reputable shop please don't hesitate to
call them. My bike went in with no marks or scratches and came out the
same. Their shop is built so customers can see thru windows their
babies being worked on so there are no mysteries.
Still less than 24hr after mods so I have not really felt her up yet but I will
say after 35yrs in SoFla that is the fastest and smoothest ride home I have ever had !!

Your base number may have been a little higher with more pulls we did 8-9 pulls to be sure we got a solid starting point on my last project...

I had hoped for high 170s to 180 stock and dreamed of 200HP after.Guess it ws just that.....a dream. :cursin:

You got some great gains. I think the slip-ons and filter actually hurt the stock numbers. I'm thinking 7 -12 RWHP gain from stock.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone gets an earnest 200 rwhp without boost. The only way they do is on an optimistic dyno. Look at the spread between stock and mods and how the bike feels/performs. That's all that matters.

STOCK NUMBERS WERE :
MAX HP 164.64
MAX TORQUE 97.08

AFTER MODS :
MAX HP 182.25
MAX TORQUE 104.95

I live in south Fl. at sea level. I always get confused as to whether you make more or less here ? I am curious about the figures because all the numbers I see for others are higher. I have even seen article by 'Got-Busa" where his made 180 out of the crate ? I have seen some in the high 190s after the same mods just maybe a different pipe.

Try not to get caught up in the dyno game, to many factors and people aren't looking at all aspects. Same thing with the dyno threads where people want to compare parts on COMPLETELY different bikes. The numbers will never line up AND peak power doesn't mean everything...

There are many differences between your bike and mine. Did you look at ALL the other parts I added...? If you are wondering about base line numbers there are many variables like others have said (weather, tire psi, gas, strapping, break in, chain, etc. etc.). Little things add up but a bunch of little things can also take AWAY power.

Also are your numbers SAE or STD....? Mine made 175.9 SAE which is pretty much average for a Gen-II BUSA. The STD numbers were 180.3 for comparison sake only...

The XTRE is hurting you and so is the K&N. Who did the tune or have you installed the PC yet with a custom tune....?

If you question the dyno numbers, take it to the track. That will tell you what kind of TRUE power it's making... ;)

Calculate horsepower from your trap speed in the quarter mile. Trap speed doesn't lie.

Horsepower = total weight (bike plus rider) x (speed/234)^3

This is a very dirty equation, but its remarkably accurate.

On motor with pump gas and a good tune I ran 155.3 mph in quarter and weighed in at 698 lbs. Thats 204 HP with ram air at full boogie and -50 ft DA. This number comes out almost exactly to what was measured on dyno and what was calculated from terminal velocity calculation.

Tuning for the dyno, and the numbers that they give you are misleading. And yes, a well tuned GenII with good fuel can make 200 hp with all the right tricks.

Lower to see level the more power you make. Many things contribute to dyno #'s...a cheating dyno, a stingy dyno, is the bike heat soaked, weather conditions. I feel 168-172 stock and then mid 180's tops if you have a quality exhaust, tune and filter. 200HP gen 2 is a joke. Best way is to go find another Gen 2 comparable to you with a good rider that weighs about the same and go do some test

Isnt it fun to spend all that time and money (I did it too) and then get back out on the road and not really notice that 6% HP gain (that you spent 2 grand for) because you cant go 180MPH anywhere.
Shoot, I scarcely noticed it at the track since none of the straights were all that long.

Changing the gearing (for 50 bux) made a bigger diff than anything else I ever did....

I'd do it again tho, guess thats part of the fever:beerchug:

Back