rebuild or replace engine?

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
motor started knocking REAL bad driving down the rode stupidly forgot to check oil (slowly burns it) im not sure of the extent of my bikes injuries but i hate to pay to rebuild if its better just to swop out ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT!

Is it completely out of oil,is knock in top or bottom?Drain what oil is left in there & see if there is any sizeable copper/gold looking shavings in it...where are you located?

I drained the oil today and only 1 quart came out. But there was NO shavings to the naked eye. As for the knocking I couldn't tell if it was from the top or bottom just that it was loud and even my neighbor was looking at me all crazy,when I pulled in my driveway,wondering what was wrong. It stalled when I was going up my steep drive and wouldn't turn over again.

Sorry to hear about this these guys will get you straight.

I do have a question, shouldnt a warning light have come on?

This is a swap NOT for the faint of heart, you will a COMPLETE wiring harness AND computer from a newer model,the matching fuel tank with pump to get it done,the COMPLETE engine with ALL the fuel injection intact,basically you'll be swapping over ALL the electronics,wiring,fuel system,and engine from a newer model.

This is a swap NOT for the faint of heart, you will a COMPLETE wiring harness AND computer from a newer model,the matching fuel tank with pump to get it done,the COMPLETE engine with ALL the fuel injection intact,basically you'll be swapping over ALL the electronics,wiring,fuel system,and engine from a newer model.
if you're gonna do that, might as well look for an 08 donor.

and if you plan to get a used motor, make sure you get paperwork including the motor numbers stated on them, if possible photos and I would avoid using anyone you do not fully trust. Buy a hot motor online and I guarantee your life will take a turn you don't want to travel. Happens more and more nowdays.

Why would it not be worth rebuilding and maybe doing some mods while I'm in there. I thought the light would have came on by that time also

The fuel system on the 99-00 models is not that good,while the computer is unrestricited,you could easily do the same with a GPS mod on a newer harness.The fueling and processor on the newer models is a much better deal.You can rebuild it,but you'll still have an old school fuel system.If you decide to rebuild it, I would atleast replace the pump with something like an Aeromotive pump and regulator.

the motor has already been swopped out in the past and is now i believe to be 03' or newer cause the idle control is on the throttle body and i had to get pwr comdr for 01 or newer

the motor has already been swopped out in the past and is now i believe to be 03' or newer cause the idle control is on the throttle body and i had to get pwr comdr for 01 or newer
If you rebuild it, be advised that 1 and only 1 vendor can get the cross hatch in the cylinders near what it should be and that is Millennium.

? sorry not sure what that means why are they the only ones
Millenium Machine,they are the only people that can machine the cylinders so that you'll have proper ring seat and wear.Ask any reputable builder about this,9 out of 10 will tell you this,give Joe Hahn @ Orient Express who is one of the best builders alive,he can help you.

what do you think about this 1397 kit with JE pistons, Web 378/330 cams, & adj sprockets

The 1397 will def get the job done,I've heard good things about that particular cam combo,the best thing to do is call a builder and tell him what you want to achieve,he then will tell what its gonna take and how much it'll cost,Joe @ Orient or Carpenter race engines would be the only 2 people I'd call personally, but thats me.
beerchug.gif

Motor knock from oil starvation usually results in crank/rod bearing damage. So keep that in mind. The oil light should have come on before major damage happened. So, besides a top end, you will need to do something with the bottom end too.

I would completely tear it down before you order parts.

Have you tried filling it to the proper level with oil yet? You might be surprised at the results. But you definitely hurt it some.

i am suppose to take to shop tomorrow they are tearing down first but i am planing on a little more work than i probably need just to get other stuff better while its apart ie. je pistons 1397cc 12.8 to 1 (430.00), yosh stage 1 cams (779.00), carillo rods (760.00) ?maybe send crank out to be worked (540.00)? im looking for more torque than hp im more interested in 1/4 mi. than doing 200+ of course my cylinders will have to be bored (300.00) i hope i dont have to spend much more some of this is negotiable. ANY IDEAS OUT THERE ON GOOD COMBOS IS APPRECIATED i am not buying ANYTHING till i KNOW EVERYTHING im going with so i know everthing will work together good

What Carillo rods are you getting for $760 ? A-Beams? The H-Beams are in the $950 range I believe.

Back