How i modded my stock header

mountainmotor

Donating Member
Registered
Two Hayabusa's ago I got to looking at the stock header and sure did not agree with how Suzuki built the collector . The 1-2 and 3-4 pipes after merged have to run straight into a wall then the gasses ... well it's a wonder the stock Busa runs as good as they do IMO .

This mod won't be for everyone and the gain will not give more HP than a header and I wish I could offer carved in stone differences in oil temp , some sort of efficiency gain but i do know it's there and the mod , compared to many we buy or make is CHEAP !
biggrin.gif

I am not trying to beat the extraction characteristics of a header vs this stock pipe because it cannot be done . I just wanted it to breath easier  and in the end it will be blowing spent gasses out two 50 mm slip-on exhaust exits vs one 50 mm exit of the Yosh RS-3 header cannister as some sort of example .

Yoshimura 4-2-1 header outlet is " I think " 36mm
Stock is " I know " 35mm

I was tired of giving the aftermarket alot of bucks , wanted to keep duals on this bike so just explaining what I've done is all
biggrin.gif

Neat thing about it is some work like building a stock looking exhaust for a sleeper engine when using an HMF front half , the exhaust all has to be on the bike . When done one side at a time , the muffler hanger bracket is the jig to keep the pipe exits straight

Stock header pic I grabbed off the net . Never mind that it's a 1999 model , all the collectors were the same .

1999model.jpg

My modified header

100_0817.jpg

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143306727 -->

biggrin.gif

There could be a market for this if it could be done for a decent price and if the dyno showed at least some improvement in horsepower. Cool stuff for keeping that "sleeper" look.

Thanks .

I just wanted to build a smooth runner that runs cool and will last a very long time out of this bike . Did not want to spend an additional bunch of bucks on engine parts like I've done all my life so it's just gong to be a small air box mod , the pipe and slip-ons , I am using the little Yoshimura cams that should have come in the Hayabusa from the factory IMO.

It's off for the dyno tune in a couple weeks . I'll post the results .

Ooops . Back to the old drawing board
biggrin.gif
so don't copy that one !
biggrin.gif

I have to modify the thing so it will better clear the oil pan .

I have one of my spare engines turned upside down . This time I'll get it right and and post additional pics .

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143487961 -->

biggrin.gif

Nice job. When you are rebuilding this to clear the oil pan, you need to add a cross-over pipe between the sides of the exhaust.

Back