ECU flash interface or TRE?

Derrick0580

Registered
Ok I know 99.9% of you will say screw the TRE and just reflash my ecu on my '13LE however when I bought my bike I got a 5 year warranty out of them and just sending my ecu off for a reflash is out of the question at this point. I guess my biggest question is if I invest in an ecu interface and reflash it myself, can it be set back to stock with no signs on editing should a problem arise and warranty work need done and the dealer check the ecu? OR, for now should I just get a TRE so I can just remove it from the bike. I'm not concerned with loads of hp or racing all I want is the oomph I'm supposed to have through the lower gears, the 186 eliminator isn't even a concern as I don't have a death wish or a want to lose my license should I get caught!

If those are the only two options and that's is your main reason for doing either, I would just change the gearring. Maybe -1 up front and or +2 in the rear.

No question get the ecu flashed. The chances the the sealership would even find out is slim. If it was an issue and you thought they were going to look at your map just send it back and have factory tune put back in. For me the TRE would be out of the question.

No question about it, I want to flash the ecu, but I don't want to screw myself out of a free 5 year warranty only 2 weeks after buying the new bike. If I can buy the flash interface and do it myself so I can just return it to stock without having to send it back then have to repay to flash it once the warranty work is complete if this makes any sense, not everyone has money to just waste flashing and reflashing ecu's.

I do understand and that does make sense. My point is suzuki has been making the same bike for seven years. The chances that your going to have warranty work is slim.

For me I know I have no business changing my own maps. I would rather pay someone that knows their stuff. I also know there are plenty of people that know their way around the maps and have no problem changing their own maps. If your one of those then no question buy the hardware and get the software and do your thing

Not sure about the Busa,but most of the new bike ECU's have a flash counter and will record how many times the ECU has been messed with. So even if you flash it back to stick,they will still know its been messed with.
Best suggestion(s) are to:
-change gearing for more "oomph"
-buy second ECU

Not sure about the Busa,but most of the new bike ECU's have a flash counter and will record how many times the ECU has been messed with. So even if you flash it back to stick,they will still know its been messed with.
Best suggestion(s) are to:
-change gearing for more "oomph"
-buy second ECU

Learn something new everyday. Just curious I had my bike dyno tuned, he never unhooked the laptop but did have to make a few changes after every run. Would my ECU count that as one flash or would it count how many times he had to make changes to my map?

Ok, sounds like a 2nd ecu will be my best bet, now for my next newb question, does the ecu keep record of miles? For instance of the odometer reads 2k does the ecu match or have any type of record of such? I know I am being a pain, but even a 2nd ecu would be stupid to waste money on if the stealership can tell 2 different ecu's have been used because mileage doesn't match. I don't trust dealers at all because suzuki is probably having them do everything humanly possible to keep from forking out warranty money. Kawasaki has went so far as to checking people's facebook and refused a claim due to a picture of the guy wheelie'ing his zx6r!

Of the 3 localish Suzuki dealers to me, not one of the techs that I spoke to said it was possible to flash an ecu. I asked what they did for performance. They sell stuff. Exhausts, power commanders, etc. but they do not know that an ecu can be flashed. When I told them that changing the exhaust required an ecu flash, they didn't know what I was talking about. 1 of them claimed to be the most experienced Suzuki technician in the Southeast. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Zee
Learn something new everyday. Just curious I had my bike dyno tuned, he never unhooked the laptop but did have to make a few changes after every run. Would my ECU count that as one flash or would it count how many times he had to make changes to my map?

I wish I could answer that for you Big,the Busa may not even have a flash counter. I know that the BMW's,Kawi H2's and the new R1-M have that programmed into the ECU as Im a very good lurker on other forums:laugh:

you over thinking things. get a used ECU and have it flashed. as far as gearing i only go up in the rear. i had a 3 up and it was nice. but once flashed i went back to stock gearing and its still better then before. but gearing up you will be shifting alot more. try the flash first before doing anything else

Of the 3 localish Suzuki dealers to me, not one of the techs that I spoke to said it was possible to flash an ecu. I asked what they did for performance. They sell stuff. Exhausts, power commanders, etc. but they do not know that an ecu can be flashed. When I told them that changing the exhaust required an ecu flash, they didn't know what I was talking about. 1 of them claimed to be the most experienced Suzuki technician in the Southeast. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just my opinion.

:rofl:

yeah....find another dealer! I wouldn't let them touch my bike!

The Busa doesn't keep a flash count, and it can be flashed to stock at ANY time.
The mileage is stored in the Speedo, not the ecu.
Unless you have a bench flasher, or send your ecu to be flashed, then you need a 2 wire jumper harness on the bike.
It can also be removed at any time. It connects between the black Yosh connector and the black ecu plug, both ends(all 4 pins)going to empty pin locations in each plug. They just click into place.
Ecu editor plugs into the black Yosh connector and the white diagnostic plug(both under the driver seat near the bike's ecu), and the other end to your laptop/desktop, or to a dyno.
Having a 2013 and up you'll need the adapter harness for Ecu Editor to connect to the bike, as Suzuki changed a plug style in '13.
I have a bench flasher if you want it done(have done a couple dozen Busa's and 5 bkings here).
If not, buy Ecu Editor and do it yourself. It's very straight forward.
If you flash the bike back to stock, and remove the 2 wire jumper(if you ever install one, and not that it's even visible on the bike), then no one will ever know the ecu was ever flashed. Not that it matters.
You're not doing magic, you're simply turning off factory limits that help keep the bike less aggressive. To make it more marketable to the masses. The extra umph you get was there to start with.
If the bike goes to the dealer for warranty recalls or covered repairs, they'll never know the ecu is flashed.
Don't over think it. Flash it and enjoy it.

Back