SD HID light issues

Suijuris

Registered
I bought a ZP HID -8k set from a group buy some months ago. Since then, I have had several episodes with some sort of shorting- with the tach- fuel guage- where they do strange things. like pegging, or the tach will actually read half value.

Last week; I came of a pkg lot and realized I had NO light!!! hit the hi beam- and had that till I could stop, and restart my bike. (which solves all issues after no more than three tries.)
I have also doublechecked connections- and all harnesses.
I had the dealer check it out- when I had a service schedule It didnt do it for them, so no real issue solved, or solutions given.
So, has anyone else experienced such problems?

No , sorry dude
SHOCKED.gif

Make sure the single connector that feeds the cluster is properly seated. It's on the clutch side of the cluster, well the only connector. My other guess would be weak battery. The HIDs consume less power than the factory low and high beams. Just thinking out load.

If your bike is like mine where the headlight shuts off when you hit the starter switch that is probably why your having an issue with your HID staying on. You should install a switch to manually turn the HID on after the bike is started. Others have done this and have had no issues with the light not staying on. As far as your gauge cluster goes... probably the connector is dirty or loose. Or like dadofthree said, could be a weak battery. Low battery can cause some weird things on this bike.

I get the fuel gauge pegg'n out every once in a while. Can't explain it, but now worried about it either. The empty light still works

yes, ive been have some wierd things happenin on my dash, it locks up , all lights stay on even when the key is out.

i just unhook the battery,

it started right after the HID install
all_coholic.gif

Once I was having problems when turning the bike on the hid would turn off. Problem was the battery

I had a problem when I first hooked them up. My Bluegauges were as you described. My fuel was pegged full.....my tach register low and sometimes 0 then moves as I reved the engine.

I unhooked my High beam side and moved the low beam ballast to the right side and moved my Bluegauge switch to the left side. No problems now. I am not sure if the ballast was causing some sort of frequency problem or what.

I'm running both ballasts on the right side. I'm thinking it's a freq problem too.

(Suijuris @ Apr. 22 2007,13:01) I bought a ZP HID -8k set from a group buy some months ago. Since then, I have had several episodes with some sort of shorting- with the tach- fuel guage- where they do strange things. like pegging, or the tach will actually read half value.

Last week; I came of a pkg lot and realized I had NO light!!! hit the hi beam- and had that till I could stop, and restart my bike. (which solves all issues after no more than three tries.)
I have also doublechecked connections- and all harnesses.
I had the dealer check it out- when I had a service schedule It didnt do it for them, so no real issue solved, or solutions given.
So, has anyone else experienced such problems?
Same problems.......... Only happened twice so far.
I noticed the light was out out one time after I started the bike after getting gas. Re started and light came on.
Also, gas gauge pegs and the tach acts funky. I turned the key off and restarted the bike and it stopped.
rock.gif

I have both ballasts on the right side. It does seem to be some type of glitch caused by the ballasts. Not sure how to fix it. Maybe shielding the wires and ballasts better
rock.gif
Or shielding the instrument panel and input wire cluster. I think I will try some foil tape on it. If the light stops again I will have to add a delay or the easy fix would be a on/ off switch on the low beam input to the ballast.
biggrin.gif

rock.gif

I have my ballast mounted directly to the backside of my gauges with no problems. I'd say battery, I've seen some really strange things happen with a low battery.

(Suijuris @ Apr. 24 2007,01:13) I think I' gonna use the hazard switch to interrupt the low beam. Who needs the hazard anyway?
I think i've used mine once. Caught in a down poor and didn't want to get rearended lol

let us know how that works out

I was haveing probs with my HID shutting off while riding, didn't have the gauge issues, but, the light would kinda flicker a little and then go out. I thought it was a connection issue so I made sure they were all tight including grounding right to the frame.
Turns out, replacing the battery fixed the problem (so far). I still get some flicker right after startup, but, that goes away after its been running for a few minutes.

I got mine from Zeon King more than 2 years ago. 1 Ballast is on the left, the other on the right.

Not one problem
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

my ballasts are on either side. not together. I think it is an incompatability issue; like the ballasts short the system- because of "charging"? possibly? Mine always starts with no issues on the third time. This tells me that if i were to add a switch for the low beam- it wouldn't interfere with the starting procedure
AS A PLUS_ I may not have to tape my front light for track days- since I can shut it off.

I haven't had any more issues........
I still may add a switch on the low beam and a LED to tell me its on or off.

(Sloto200 @ Apr. 22 2007,17:32) If your bike is like mine where the headlight shuts off when you hit the starter switch that is probably why your having an issue with your HID staying on.  You should install a switch to manually turn the HID on after the bike is started.  Others have done this and have had no issues with the light not staying on.  As far as your gauge cluster goes... probably the connector is dirty or loose.   Or like dadofthree said, could be a weak battery.  Low battery can cause some weird things on this bike.
I put a time delay on mine so it doesn't come on for 20 seconds after I turn on the key. Works great!
cool.gif

Okay I have this problem with guage set and HID kit. I have my guage's done by blue gauge and I installed both at the same time. But when ever I start my bike my tech sets on zero and my temp doesn't move. I have to shut off and restart for them to work. And If I turn on my high beam everything pegged out, and you can't turn the light off to correct it, you have to shut of the bike. Is anybody experiencing this with a stock gauge? or moded? Or has anybody found a solution for this problem
sad.gif

doesnt matter where the ballasts are located. thats not the problem. If your using a relay to power the hid's then your problem is your source voltage. if your not using relays you should be also check your ground source. I had to run a specific ground wire from the battery to the front and that solved alot of my problems. Using a relay will help keep the "pull" of power and drain off the stock wiring which will help alot.

upgrade your battery from the stock 12s to a 14s.

jd

Back