Updated LED Taillight Auxiliary Running Lights

InfiniteReality

Registered
I've had this module on the bike since I built it in 2010. It's likely one of my favorite mods on the bike. With new 1157 sockets, it allows me to use my signals as running lights. Also, when you hit your brake light, it'll flash all 3 lights 3 times and then stay on. Safety. :)

Last week one of my LED bulbs went out. I could have gotten more of the same type (which matched the brightness of my tail light perfectly), but decided I'd upgrade since LEDs have progressed greatly in the last 5yrs. These things put the old LEDs (and my tail light) to shame. I already looked, but they don't seem to have any aftermarket upgraded tail lights that would match in brightness. Over the winter I may pull the lense off the tail light and make a new board where the LEDs are facing directly back instead of being on an angle as it is now.

Sorry for the crappy night pics, just snapped them on the way to work this morning.

OLD:
IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

NEW
20151005_190253.jpg

20151005_190300.jpg

20151005_190311.jpg

20151006_052811.jpg

20151006_052841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ran TrickFlasher on the bike since I bought it....I had a spare one from the Gen1 laying around. While it fixed the hyperflash issue, it has always had major issues when trying to change patterns (had 5 total). After seeing how bright the new tail light LEDs were, I ordered some amber ones for the fronts. I also ordered CustomLED.Com flasher which has 10 turn signal patterns to change things up a bit. I was tempted to purchase their brake light modulator which I believe has 10 patterns for brake lights as well. I figure I'll order one and install it over the winter when I can't ride. :)

Forgive me if I'm not following. The taillights are controlled by a TrickFlasher module? Where did you get the LED taillights? Was it the CustomLED.com you mentioned?

Looks GREAT by the way. Nice and bright.

It is confusing for sure. It's probably better explained with what my setup soon will be. I'm swapping both modules I have no out.

My stock flasher will be replaced by the CustomLED.com programmable electronic flasher. When you use LEDs for the signals, you have to install an electronic flasher so the bike doesn't blink fast like it thinks a bulb is out. I am going a step up from that with the CustomLED so I can pick a certain flash pattern. Watch the video and you'll see why.
"ELFR-P Programmable Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector ? Custom LED"

To get my rear signals to act like running lights, brake light and still operate as signals, I have to use the Triple Play. It's more of a safety thing, but also looks cool. It'll do all of that PLUS I can pick from 10 different brake light patterns so it'll catch the attention of the people behind me and don't get rear ended. It also allows me to adjust the brightness of my rear signal running lights so I can dim them back down to match my brake light. Check out the video on this too.
"Smart Triple Play: Run-Brake-Turn Controller for Motorcycle Blinkers ? Custom LED"

As for which rear bulbs I'm running, it's these.
"2X 1157 Projector High Power 2538 Chip LED Red Front Turn Signal Light Bulbs | eBay"
They're stupid bright. I also just ordered an amber set to replace my front signals since they're the older style bulb as well.

What started as a bulb out ended up with me revamping my whole brake/running/signal electrical system. When I install both modules, I plan to create a thread and semi-walk through. It's pretty easy to install and the only thing you have to take off is the tail and a section of the dash to access the stock flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the details man! I'd love to see a walkthrough when you get it done. I'll definitely check out the links you provided.

Thanks for the details man! I'd love to see a walkthrough when you get it done. I'll definitely check out the links you provided.

Glad to help! I highly recommend stuff like this, IMO every thing you can do to the lighting on a bike just makes it that much safer to ride. The pulsing for the signals and brake light just look cool too.

I should have the signal module today, I think I should have time to install at some point this weekend. It should be easy and quick install with only 2 wires. The other module will be next week. When I get the thread(s) up, I'll add a link to this one for easy access. :)

Back